Unpopular opinions

Mosi Mynn

1 minute ago, Theda Baratheon said:

That’s why I feel bad because I’m def a cinephile in my own way and I work in a movie store ahahahahha. But I just...think it’s OK. I like the mirror scene. But other than that I’m not hugely fussed. I thought Nightcrawler was way better. 

Agreed totally!

I’m not sure if you have me mixed up with someone else but this made me smile nonetheless so I’ll take it :lol:

I’m sorry friend :P I sort of feel bad about not loving them more if that’s any consolation ahahah 

I started watching Preacher and one of the characters said it and I was like OMG YES THANK YOU. I felt validated lol 

Cassidy hates on the Coen bros a bunch in that show (which has REALLY disappointed me so far). Needless to say but I like him better in the comics. :P

Just now, Ramsay B. said:

It’s a very polarizing film. People seem to either really like it or hate it because it’s slow. I love it but absolutely get why it’s not a movie for everyone.

I also think all the hype and rave reviews it gets actually hurts its cause. I think some people are expecting a classic type horror movie and it’s not that at all. Reading up on the lore and hearing the directors take on everything helps out a lot but not everyone wants to put that much effort into a film and that’s very understandable.

Oooh I agree with you I love it but understand why someone wouldn’t. It really  REALLY worked for me 

Just now, Nictarion said:

Cassidy hates on the Coen bros a bunch in that show (which has REALLY disappointed me so far). Needless to say but I like him better in the comics. :P

I’ve only watched three eps and I’m not LOVING it so far but I like it enough to keep going. I love Cassidy though & the explosive bloody violence is fucking hilarious 

1 hour ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

I think Goblet of Fire is the best book in the HP series. 

The hype that horseracing gets this time of year is nauseating. 

1 hour ago, Mark Antony said:

Never knew that was unpopular. I always thought Goblet of Fire was the best HP book as well. 

15 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

Oh, great that someone else brought up Harry Potter. I love the Prisoner of Azkaban as a book (not an unpopular opinion) but I fucking loathe the movie (very unpopular opinion). Everything about it is shite, only the sixth film is worse but that doesn't count because it's barely a movie.

There is just so much to despise in that film. It's barely lit, Gary Oldman is a poor Sirius Black, Draco gets an emo haircut, the dementors are lame, they just shit all over continuity (compare Hagrid's house in the Philosopher's stone with his house in this one), completely do away with what made this series magical (why the fuck is everyone wearing muggle clothes all the time), nerved Ron and worst of all - it created fetus wolf, which is just an afront to every piece of werewolf fiction ever. 

EDIT1: And yes I include Twilight under that banner
EDIT2: And yes, I know Taylor Lautner is technically not a werewolf
EDIT3: And yes, I am ashamed that I know that much about the series

I generally agree here. I can see his (visual and other) brilliance but all his really famous films are way to emotionally distant for me to really enjoy. There is this clinical detachment that I just don't care for. That's why I love Paths of Glory because it's the one Kubrick film that in my opinion has heart. It's also one of the reasons why Full Metal Jacket is such a waste, because the first part of the film also has a lot of emotion in it. A shame he ruined it by tacking on an entire second half.

POA sucks ass a film and I agree with Veltigar entirely. Goblet is also my favourite book but I never got the impression that is an unpopular opinion. In terms of films, Chamber of Secrets and Philosopher’s Stone we’re far and away the best, the rest are pretty awful except Goblet, which is passable

23 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

I generally agree here. I can see his (visual and other) brilliance but all his really famous films are way to emotionally distant for me to really enjoy. There is this clinical detachment that I just don't care for. That's why I love Paths of Glory because it's the one Kubrick film that in my opinion has heart. It's also one of the reasons why Full Metal Jacket is such a waste, because the first part of the film also has a lot of emotion in it. A shame he ruined it by tacking on an entire second half.

There should be more films on The Great War.  

You do have to credit Full Metal Jacket for being able to tell a Vietnam story in which there was hardly--scene in which there is a Stars and Stripes meeting, and the scene explaining the peace symbol on Joker's uniform--any mention of politics.  

I still regard it as a classic.  A rare story that depicts human nature in war.  It's a brutal admittance of our fascination with destroying the lives of others.  As well as the cause and effects of instilling the mindset of a killer into a healthy citizen.

1 hour ago, Mark Antony said:

Never knew that was unpopular. I always thought Goblet of Fire was the best HP book as well. 

The film gets a lot of hate because of all the changes from the book.

Dobby being cut.

That weak-ass maze.

The Top Box not being the best seats at the World Cup.

The dragon breaking free from the first task.

Stuff like that.

1 minute ago, A True Kaniggit said:

The film gets a lot of hate because of all the changes from the book.

Dobby being cut.

That weak-ass maze.

The Top Box not being the best seats at the World Cup.

The dragon breaking free from the first task.

Stuff like that.

You are the second person to respond to MA’s post about the book with a post about the film. Jusy saying...

3 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

You are the second person to respond to MA’s post about the book with a post about the film. Jusy saying...

My lack of reading comprehension. When seeing the phrase "Goblet of Fire" and "Unpopular" my brain made a connection that people must be talking about the movie. I didn't think the book was unpopular.

I think it's more unpopular to say that Prisoner of Azkaban is a great film lol. I ALWAYS see people shitting over the film and I LOVE it. The tone got considerably darker and I was around the characters age at the time it came out it was awesome. 

1 hour ago, Theda Baratheon said:

I don’t think Casablanca is all that great and 8 1/2 is not even close to Fellini’s best film. 

Yes! I could have posted that myself, if I had thought about it. In fact, I don't think Casablanca is even that good. It has some charismatic actors, good cinematography and music and a certain atmosphere, and I think people love it so much because they love Humphrey Bogarte getting all emotional. But I remember cringing at s lot of the acting by supporting actors playing the Germans (moustache twirling is an understatement), and the script is pretty crap. The central love triangle is the stupidest love triangle ever, and the whole dilemma and ending makes no sense at all. Ingrid Bergman's character is in love with Rick, but she needs to be with her husband - because he's a Resistance leader? What, is she his life support system?! Is he going to die or become incapable of leading the Resistance if she doesn't keep having sex with him? I get that it was made in the 1940s and that old fictional works contain a lot of outdated and sexist ideas, but this is just plan stupid, whenever it was made.

Star Trek: DS9 had an episode inspired by Casablanca, with Quark's former girlfriend who was a Cardassian professor, and that episode actually made a lot more sense than the actual Casablanca: the central 'duty vs love' dilemma worked, because there was no other guy, she was not married, she was a prominent Cardassian dissident herself and a role model for young Cardassian dissidents. That's all it would have taken to make sense of the plot of Casablanca! They simply should have made Ingrid Bergman's character herself a prominent figure in the Resistance, and said that she needed to go and fight for the liberation - rather than that she had to be with her husband!

53 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

I think it's more unpopular to say that Prisoner of Azkaban is a great film lol. I ALWAYS see people shitting over the film and I LOVE it. The tone got considerably darker and I was around the characters age at the time it came out it was awesome. 

It does seem to be a bit divisive, because I have seen a lot of people saying it is their favourite of the films but at the same time others really dislike it. I think I'd probably say it was my favourite of the Potter films, it's certainly far better than the two Christopher Columbus films.

10 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

So, you like tiny Middle Earth with the secret magical Elvish transportation system along with incredibly inconsistent characters or characters changed into caracatiures?

You liked the scrubbing bubbles of death (that made the ride of the Rohirrim completely pointless) and the Ents being tricked into attacking Isenguard?

You liked Aragorn beheading a peace envoy because he pissed him off and Frodo randomly sending Sam home by himself at the top of the Pass of Cirith Ungol?  All those changes were for the better?

The only bad part of the Elvish transportation is I suppose Galadriel and Elrond telepathically communicating from so far away.  But it's not that much of a stretch from the books.  Armies randomly showing up is a trope you could complain about in tons of war movies.

I don't know why they did the dead army that way.  That seemed entirely unnecessary and I thought they should've had Elrond's twins show up with the Rangers to help "turn the tide," could have taken like 30 seconds.

I agree that Merry tricking Treebeard was kinda unnecessary, but I don't really care.  And it does set up the awesome "many of these trees were my friends" hulk up.  I also don't care about Aragorn beheading the Mouth, or Frodo sending Sam home (and I wouldn't say it was random).

What bothers me the most is the characterization of Faramir.  He was my awesome in the books and him basically instantly rejecting the ring was a great scene

they could have recreated.  The Nazgul still could have showed up and Sam still could have had his cheesy speech.  As for Denethor, while I liked how the books emphasized it was quite the feat for him not to join Sauron, I think they changed him for expediency.

Two things the films did better: 1.  Elrond unveiling Anduril and their conversation, 2.  Merry doesn't ridiculously not recognize who Dernhelm is.

What's interesting is I haven't re-read the books in six or seven years, and I still have no urge to.  On the other hand, I'll watch the movies about once a year.  I respect the books, and certainly acknowledge they are a more well-thought out narrative with better characterization, but they honestly bore me.  I guess my unpopular opinion is I don't like Tolkein's prose.

4 hours ago, Risto said:

2. I don't think Sophie Turner sucks playing Sansa Stark or that she is a bad actress.

Agreed, I don't get all the hate for her.

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

In terms of films, Chamber of Secrets and Philosopher’s Stone we’re far and away the best

100% with you on that.

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Thank you. I wasn’t a fan of the goblet of fire movie tbh.

4 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

The only bad part of the Elvish transportation is I suppose Galadriel and Elrond telepathically communicating from so far away.

Two things the films did better: 1.  Elrond unveiling Anduril and their conversation, 

Isn't this the Elvish transportation people hate? Elrond getting to Aragorn in 10 minutes when we had 3 movies for the main characters to make the same trip?

Archived