Unpopular opinions

Mosi Mynn

2 hours ago, Sour Billy Tipton said:

Booooooooo.  I knew it was only a matter of time before Kubrick came up.  But I can definitely see how someone would consider 2001 overrated.  I wasn't a huge fan of the narrative.  However, you must take into account the fact that the film was released in 1968 and it still holds up better than most space films (Star Wars prequels).  

Have you given A Clockwork Orange a chance?  Also Lolita is fantastic but the humor is lost on some.  The Killing is very underrated, a great fantastic heist film.

I knew someone would call me out on it. :P The part that I mentioned was good does still hold up good even today, the rest no. I think if there is ever a remake of it, a different director who knows what he's doing, and with modern tech, could turn the psychedelic trip which is part 4 of the film into something truly spectacular.

I watched ACO in college, which means about 10-11 years ago. I don't really wish to revisit. It was good, but way too disturbing.

And I agree with @Veltigaron Full Metal Jacket.

12 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

So, you like tiny Middle Earth with the secret magical Elvish transportation system along with incredibly inconsistent characters or characters changed into caracatiures?

You liked the scrubbing bubbles of death (that made the ride of the Rohirrim completely pointless) and the Ents being tricked into attacking Isenguard?

You liked Aragorn beheading a peace envoy because he pissed him off and Frodo randomly sending Sam home by himself at the top of the Pass of Cirith Ungol?  All those changes were for the better?

I'm not going to get into an in depth discussion about the differences.  I have never been a huge fan of the books.  Again, I can understand that they are classics and lots of people like them, but I have always struggled getting through them.  Never been my favorite books.

3 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

POA sucks ass a film and I agree with Veltigar entirely. Goblet is also my favourite book but I never got the impression that is an unpopular opinion. In terms of films, Chamber of Secrets and Philosopher’s Stone we’re far and away the best, the rest are pretty awful except Goblet, which is passable

Goblet of Fire is also my favorite Potter book.  I also don't really care for the rest of the movies.  I did enjoy Chamber and Stone, but hated what they did with Dumbledore in Goblet.  I mean when Harry's name came out of the goblet, it seemed that Dumbledore was going to beat the tar out of him.

Jace also prefers the LotR movies to the books. 

Such dry and lecturous things, Tolkien's series. Gimmie a streamlined Peter Jackson interpretation any day. 

Of course that does not include The Hobbit. 

Clearly I hold the unpopular opinion on this forum that Prisoner of Azkaban was the best HP film.:P

To diverge into the video gaming world, Mass Effect Andromeda was a good game that should have been supported more by EA/Bioware, to polish it and release new content, instead of canning it. EA needs to open a portal to hell and stay there revise their business practices.

9 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

To diverge into the video gaming world, Mass Effect Andromeda was a good game that should have been supported more by EA/Bioware, to polish it and release new content, instead of canning it. EA needs to open a portal to hell and stay there revise their business practices.

That's a bridge too goddamn far right there. Andromeda had good mechanics, it was not a good game. "What the hell happened to Ryder!?! Sorry, my face is tired..."

If you believe there was a good game buried in Andromeda, so be it. But that's very different from being a 'good' game and I'll stab a motherfucker who impugns the honor of Mass Effect by saying otherwise. 

But how you doin' man? I feel like we haven't traded war stories in a while.

29 minutes ago, Pony Empress Jace said:

That's a bridge too goddamn far right there. Andromeda had good mechanics, it was not a good game. "What the hell happened to Ryder!?! Sorry, my face is tired..."

If you believe there was a good game buried in Andromeda, so be it. But that's very different from being a 'good' game and I'll stab a motherfucker who impugns the honor of Mass Effect by saying otherwise. 

But how you doin' man? I feel like we haven't traded war stories in a while.

The game definitely needed more polish, but there is a good game in there.

Hop on over the video game thread, I'm currently playing BattleTech and occasionally mentioning my successes and morbid failures.

11 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

Yes.....exactly this. I want to see if Quentin Tarantino gets a crack at Star Trek.  

Tarantino is actually, possibly a worse idea for a Trek director that JJ...

The Chris Columbus-directed  Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets is the best Harry Potter movie. The Yates-directed movies (the last four) are far worse than the first four. They made the magic in battle scenes incredibly generic, the pacing was often really choppy, and he had a bunch of really odd choices on what to keep and what not to keep in adapting the movies. 

Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is a fine if flawed film. The battle with Smaug in Desolation of Smaug is pretty entertaining if silly, and the ending is excellent. 

Rogue One is a more entertaining Star Wars movie than The Force Awakens

Suicide Squad is an entertaining, enjoyable film even if it is a mess of problems that only works because of Will Smith, Margot Robbie, and half-decent pacing. The "Martha" moment in Batman vs Superman worked fine for me because it was about getting Batman (an obsessive vigilante) to stop his rampage and think for a second, and that's all it took for him to realize what he was doing was bad. 

4 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Isn't this the Elvish transportation people hate? Elrond getting to Aragorn in 10 minutes when we had 3 movies for the main characters to make the same trip?

Is it?  I thought Scot was referring to the Lothlorien army showing up at Helm's Deep.  :dunno:  If it is that, whatever, Elrond could find thousands of men riding on horseback from Edoras to Minas Tirith.

47 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

Is it?  I thought Scot was referring to the Lothlorien army showing up at Helm's Deep.  :dunno:  If it is that, whatever, Elrond could find thousands of men riding on horseback from Edoras to Minas Tirith.

I completely forgot about the Elf army showing  up at Helm's Deep. Pretty sure I repressed it.

And it's not even them showing up I hate the most. It's that they friggin disappear at the end of the battle.

Probably why I repressed it. 

10 hours ago, Veltigar said:

Alien is boring, long live Aliens! 

The Dark Knight isn't a great film, it's a great performance by one man. 

Totally agree with these.

The Last Jedi was better than all the SW films since Empire

Woah  :fencing:

10 hours ago, Caligula_K3 said:

This is kind of what I mean, though. In the books Faramir is noble and heroic. He gets the ring in his hands and says "thanks but no thanks, I'm heroic and noble." Not that there's anything wrong with that in the context of the books, because LOTR is full of heroic, epic archetypes.

Faramir in the movies goes through the same struggles as Boromir and every other mortal man. He is heroic and noble, but still gives in to temptation, struggles with playing second fiddle to Boromir, etc... That's a lot more depth to a character than what we get in the books, and I'd say book Faramir would be a really flat character in a movie. That said, I get it, because when I first saw Two Towers in theatres, my reaction to Faramir taking Frodo to Osgiliath was "WTF?????? That's not what Faramir's about!!!" But over time it's a change I've really come to like, and one that for me more than makes up for the simplification of Denethor's character.

My main issue with film-Faramir is that they already did this with Boromir in Fellowship.  And Boromir's story is heartbreaking and brilliantly done.  So poor Faramir gets a poorly thought-out re-tread.  And it's a complete 180 from his bookself.

3 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

I don’t really think that’s unpopular. People fckn love David Lynch. 

He's a freakin' hack. His success is one of the most bewildering things in the history of humanity.

I’m gonna add my voice to the ‘The LOTR movies are awesome’ group. I never read the books properly. I so wanted to because I’m a massive fantasy fan...obviously, but I never made it past half way through the first book. I was a kid when I tried so I def need to give them another go. But I love the films. Plus it was my dads super fancy hardback edition with delicate AF pages and TINY WRITING. that whole book perplexed me - it didn’t seem like it was made for reading. 

3 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

I don’t really think that’s unpopular. People fckn love David Lynch. 

I don't.  Can't think of a single movie of his a really like.  Lost Highway is the only one I even like.  Not a fan of Twin Peaks either.

Just now, Spockydog said:

He's a freakin' hack. His success is one of the most bewildering things in the history of humanity.

I don’t obsess over him as much as some people & I don’t quite think he’s as smart as he’s often given credit for but I fcking LOVE Eraserhead so I could never totally agree with you. I really really like Twin Peaks too. 

ALTHOUGH I didn’t love Blue Velvet & Mulholland Dr, although there were certainly lots of the latter I did really like and I watched it with my sister as a kid so I should definitely rewatch that now. 

Archived