Unpopular opinions

Mosi Mynn

1 minute ago, dmc515 said:

I don't.  Can't think of a single movie of his a really like.  Lost Highway is the only one I even like.  Not a fan of Twin Peaks either.

Actually I must have spoke too soon I’m bias as I’m in a LOT of Twin Peaks FB groups and naturally there’s lots of Lynch fans. 

10 hours ago, Durckad said:

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier is a pretty enjoyable movie in a silly, campy way. Into Darkness is easily the worst of the lot, by far.

The Final Frontier has some really lovely moments in it - particularly between The Three.

I do sort of agree with the odds/evens rule - but I still love The Search for Spock.  I love that whole trilogy - I think it's wonderfully crafted (even though it wasn't actually thought through as a trilogy - new Star Wars could learn from this).

I fucking love, both ironically and unironically, 80's synthy pop music. It hits that sweet spot between happy and utterly campy.

80s music generally is awesome :cheers:

I tried to watch Dune a couple of months back. Holy shit, what an appallingly terrible movie.

One thing that seems to be a constant with Lynch is deliberately terrible acting. I guess this is a stylistic choice of his, but I can't imagine why the actors on his projects go along with it. 

I can’t always enjoy a film if it’s predominantly all men. I get fucking bored sometimes. Some films are exceptions but they’re always made infinitely better by the inclusion of at least a couple decent actresses and women characters. 

Thats why I’ve been sexist against MYSELF for years and haven’t watched a lot of genres I consider overwhelmingly male when that’s likely BS and I’m probably missing out on loads of awesome films just because I’ve told myself I wouldn’t enjoy them :P 

I think Constantine is a fucking BRILLIANT movie and it got way shit on by critics unfairly. Terrible adaptation of the Hellblazer comic but as stand alone supernatural noir film it is one of my FAVOURITES and I’ve properly watched it about 20 times 

8 hours ago, Annara Snow said:

Yes! I could have posted that myself, if I had thought about it. In fact, I don't think Casablanca is even that good. It has some charismatic actors, good cinematography and music and a certain atmosphere, and I think people love it so much because they love Humphrey Bogarte getting all emotional. But I remember cringing at s lot of the acting by supporting actors playing the Germans (moustache twirling is an understatement), and the script is pretty crap. The central love triangle is the stupidest love triangle ever, and the whole dilemma and ending makes no sense at all. Ingrid Bergman's character is in love with Rick, but she needs to be with her husband - because he's a Resistance leader? What, is she his life support system?! Is he going to die or become incapable of leading the Resistance if she doesn't keep having sex with him? I get that it was made in the 1940s and that old fictional works contain a lot of outdated and sexist ideas, but this is just plan stupid, whenever it was made.

I was going to let this go the first time - but I can't now!

Casablanca is why I love Humphrey Bogart.  And it's not about sex between Ingrid and her hubby - but it is about support.  He loves her and relies on her and he would not be as effective a Resistance leader without her.  Casablanca is awesome.  But you are, of course, entitled to your unpopular opinion ;-)

Star Trek: DS9 had an episode inspired by Casablanca, with Quark's former girlfriend who was a Cardassian professor, and that episode actually made a lot more sense than the actual Casablanca: the central 'duty vs love' dilemma worked, because there was no other guy, she was not married, she was a prominent Cardassian dissident herself and a role model for young Cardassian dissidents. That's all it would have taken to make sense of the plot of Casablanca! They simply should have made Ingrid Bergman's character herself a prominent figure in the Resistance, and said that she needed to go and fight for the liberation - rather than that she had to be with her husband!

Despite being a fervent Trekkie, I don't like DS9.  And I like even less the fact that folk rate DS9 above TNG and TOS.

Just now, Mosi Mynn said:

I was going to let this go the first time - but I can't now!

Casablanca is why I love Humphrey Bogart.  And it's not about sex between Ingrid and her hubby - but it is about support.  He loves her and relies on her and he would not be as effective a Resistance leader without her.  Casablanca is awesome.  But you are, of course, entitled to your unpopular opinion ;-)

Despite being a fervent Trekkie, I don't like DS9.  And I like even less the fact that folk rate DS9 above TNG and TOS.

I agree with Annara on this. Boring film, not good and the love triangle sucks. I’m sorry lol. 

7 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

I think Constantine is a fucking BRILLIANT movie and it got way shit on by critics unfairly. Terrible adaptation of the Hellblazer comic but as stand alone supernatural noir film it is one of my FAVOURITES and I’ve properly watched it about 20 times 

I LOVE Constantine.  Whenever I see it on TV I have a hard time not watching it.  Rachel Weisz is so good, and it's a film that perfectly caters to Reeves' limits.  Oh, for some reason this reminds me, but I also love the Jackman/Beckinsale Van Helsing in a similar fashion.  I wanted sequels!

Sir Don Bradman is not the greatest batsman ever - he's not even the greatest Australian batsman.  That would be Ricky Ponting (and, as an England fan, that was hard to write!).

1 hour ago, Theda Baratheon said:

I agree with Annara on this. Boring film, not good and the love triangle sucks. I’m sorry lol. 

Don't be sorry!

I just completely don't agree. :D

1 hour ago, dmc515 said:

I LOVE Constantine.  Whenever I see it on TV I have a hard time not watching it.  Rachel Weisz is so good, and it's a film that perfectly caters to Reeves' limits.  Oh, for some reason this reminds me, but I also love the Jackman/Beckinsale Van Helsing in a similar fashion.  I wanted sequels!

I love Van Helsing too and I was going to mention that!!!!! I love Dracula’s wives and the werewolves 

6 hours ago, dmc515 said:

Is it?  I thought Scot was referring to the Lothlorien army showing up at Helm's Deep.  :dunno:  If it is that, whatever, Elrond could find thousands of men riding on horseback from Edoras to Minas Tirith.

I was talking about both.  It makes no sense that Aragorn is chased by Saruman’s army into the Deeping Combe just to have a sizeable force of Lothlorian Elves show up by the front gate as though that same army just let them past.

Elrond then just shows up at Dunharrow (a dangerous journey of weeks or months based upon the Fellowship’s experience) as though he’s walking to the grocery store down the street from Rivendell.

39 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Elrond then just shows up at Dunharrow (a dangerous journey of weeks or months based upon the Fellowship’s experience) as though he’s walking to the grocery store down the street from Rivendell.

Is Elrond randomly showing up really all that different from the Grey Company popping up to tell Aragorn what to do...as messengers from Elrond?

The Prisoner of Azkaban is the best HP film. It was a much needed transition from the childishness of the first 2 while still keeping it fun and magical. I initially hated its change of tone when I first saw it (I was 8), but I’ve grown to love it. Cuarón’s direction is masterful. I don’t think this is an unpopular opinion, but the film deserves to be defended in this thread.

The Goblet of Fire is also my favourite book and the film is also good that centres on the idea of a loss of innocence, definitely not the worst one (that’s the Halfblood Prince). It’s just not a particularly accurate adaptation.

29 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

Is Elrond randomly showing up really all that different from the Grey Company popping up to tell Aragorn what to do...as messengers from Elrond?

Well, yes, as the Grey Company's journey was said to be long, difficult, and fraught with danger.  Elrond, last we saw him communing with Galadriel, right before the battle of Helms Deep, was safely in Rivendell.  In the Books the Grey Company was in the end stages of their journey from the North to find Aragorn.

4 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Love that movie too.  Not being a comic person I was unaware it was an adaption and could care less.  It was wonderful.

Late to the party so I will throw in a few of mine.

- I love Firefly but cancellation saved it's legacy.  It would work better today on a network like FX where it could be trimmed down to 13 episodes per season, but had it been successful it would have been full of complete schlock as they tried to fill out 20+ episodes.

-The Original Ghostbusters is slow, unfunny, and boring.  Ghostbusters 2 and the remake are both better movies.

-Twilight Princess is and underrated Zelda game (I think this is unpopular, the game gets very little love from what I see).

-Warcraft 3 was a better multiplayer game than Starcraft.

Archived