Unpopular opinions

Mosi Mynn

3 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

I love Van Helsing too and I was going to mention that!!!!! I love Dracula’s wives and the werewolves 

To my Shame I totally forgot about this film but no way you reminded me im off to see if Netflix has it and so I know what’s im doing tonight!

Another unpopular opinion - Mad Men and Breaking Bad are boring. I have tried several times to watch both but never made it to the end of the first season. That’s more than long enough to form an opinion.

i feel the same but to a more extreme degree about Black Sails, the first season of which is pure tripe that is a chore to get through. But this isn’t that much of an unpopular opinion, most people I know say it only picks up in season two but I really don’t want to bother trying it

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

To my Shame I totally forgot about this film but no way you reminded me im off to see if Netflix has it and so I know what’s im doing tonight!

Another unpopular opinion - Mad Men and Breaking Bad are boring. I have tried several times to watch both but never made it to the end of the first season. That’s more than long enough to form an opinion.

i feel the same but to a more extreme degree about Black Sails, the first season of which is pure tripe that is a chore to get through. But this isn’t that much of an unpopular opinion, most people I know say it only picks up in season two but I really don’t want to bother trying it

Oh I LOVE Black Sails but you definitely need to stick with it through a slow burner of a first season because it pays off with emotional investment in the characters journeys in season 2 

For Harry Potter movies, based on my rewatch of all of them this year for the first time since I saw them in theaters:

The Goblet of Fire movie, which I expected to love since the book is so great and I remembered loving it in theaters, was by far the worst of all the movies (even worse than the first two, which have many flaws but also some charm). It's weirdly sexist, badly directed, makes no sense without reading the books, and is pretty visually unimaginative. It hasn't aged well, though the climax of the movie in the graveyard is excellent. Meanwhile, Half Blood Prince, which I expected to dislike since it's one of the weakest books, is actually a really funny and charming movie while also having a lot of effective horror elements.

As for distances in the Lord of the Rings movies, and armies and Elronds managing to show up in the nick of time: yeah, it takes some stretching of disbelief, and the Elrond one is edited badly. But I really can't be bothered about movies and TV shows skipping over long journeys. Hell, I can't be bothered about it in books sometimes too, since most authors can't do travelogues consistently well, if at all- give me the Martin of Game of Thrones over the Martin of A Dance with Dragons any day.

3 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Well, yes, as the Grey Company's journey was said to be long, difficult, and fraught with danger.  Elrond, last we saw him communing with Galadriel, right before the battle of Helms Deep, was safely in Rivendell.  In the Books the Grey Company was in the end stages of their journey from the North to find Aragorn.

So if Elrond had said his journey was difficult and fraught with danger, you'd be cool?  I mean, in terms of plausibility with travel times, I've never really looked into this, but google directed me to this site that suggests Rivendell to Tharbad to the Gap of Rohan would take 8 days on horseback.  Add a couple days to travel through Rohan, and that actually works timeline-wise if Elrond left, like, three days before Helm's Deep.  (This doesn't even account for whether it'd be quicker to just take the river from Rivendell to Tharbad, which I assume it would, but don't really know.)

8 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

I think Constantine is a fucking BRILLIANT movie and it got way shit on by critics unfairly. Terrible adaptation of the Hellblazer comic but as stand alone supernatural noir film it is one of my FAVOURITES and I’ve properly watched it about 20 times 

As someone who has never read Hellblazer and did not know who Constantine was, I love that movie (could be just because of Keanu).  Love the scene at the end when he is talking to "Lu".

35 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

So if Elrond had said his journey was difficult and fraught with danger, you'd be cool?  I mean, in terms of plausibility with travel times, I've never really looked into this, but google directed me to this site that suggests Rivendell to Tharbad to the Gap of Rohan would take 8 days on horseback.  Add a couple days to travel through Rohan, and that actually works timeline-wise if Elrond left, like, three days before Helm's Deep.  (This doesn't even account for whether it'd be quicker to just take the river from Rivendell to Tharbad, which I assume it would, but don't really know.)

No.  It took two weeks or more for the Fellowship to move from Rivendell to Hollin.  Elrond covered nearly quadruple that distance in only a couple of days.  The difference with the Grey Company is that it was made clear that they were sent for long before the battle at Helms Deep and had been searching for Aragorn and the Fellowship for months.

I hold quite a few unpopular opinions -- though none of them are unpopular in every circle.  For instance, among my friends, community, voting district etc., my opinions are the majority opinion, but among my family, these opinions are considered so bizarre as to be incomprehensible (I feel the same way about their political opinions too -- at least the few they can be bothered to even hold -- they don't vote much because "it doesn't matter they're all evil and out to screw me" -- our dad would roll over in his cremated remains urn if he heard these beloved children of his say this).

So in another sector, perhaps among certain circles one of my most unpopular opinions is that the Roman (i.e. western) empire never fell.  Among academics this opinion is at the very least worthy of debate, and many even agree. But among those who love history but aren't scholars or academics, they tend to get very huffy about that opinion.

29 minutes ago, Zorral said:

I hold quite a few unpopular opinions -- though none of them are unpopular in every circle.  For instance, among my friends, community, voting district etc., my opinions are the majority opinion, but among my family, these opinions are considered so bizarre as to be incomprehensible (I feel the same way about their political opinions too -- at least the few they can be bothered to even hold -- they don't vote much because "it doesn't matter they're all evil and out to screw me" -- our dad would roll over in his cremated remains urn if he heard these beloved children of his say this).

So in another sector, perhaps among certain circles one of my most unpopular opinions is that the Roman (i.e. western) empire never fell.  Among academics this opinion is at the very least worthy of debate, and many even agree. But among those who love history but aren't scholars or academics, they tend to get very huffy about that opinion.

Upon what basis do you make the assertion that the Roman Empire never fell?  Not to argue just curious.  

2 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

No.  It took two weeks or more for the Fellowship to move from Rivendell to Hollin.  Elrond covered nearly quadruple that distance in only a couple of days.  The difference with the Grey Company is that it was made clear that they were sent for long before the battle at Helms Deep and had been searching for Aragorn and the Fellowship for months.

Right, but one could argue that Elrond didn't face the same troubles the Fellowship or the Grey Company did in the books. If Elrond leaves Rivendell right during the Battle of Helm's Deep, then there are no dangers for him to face. By the time he reaches the Gap of Rohan, Isengard would have fallen, Saruman's army completely shattered (by movie perspective). A lone rider, on an "elven steed" could have covered that distance much faster than the preceding characters. And the weary remaining forces of Rohan with women & children then went back to Edoras, where they lingered awhile until the Beacons were lit, then the Muster happened. When they reached Dunharrow, I think they stayed there for 3 days. All things considered, Elrond reaching Aragorn in time is nowhere near as ridiculous as other stuff.

If you want to talk ridiculous, Jackson completely stops caring about travel times in the Hobbit movies, allowing Radagast to hop over the Misty Mountains like they were just some hills, giving the orcs of Gundabad such marching speed that their army arrives at Erebor just a tad behind the 2 Elves that were racing to bring warning of said army.

6 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Right, but one could argue that Elrond didn't face the same troubles the Fellowship or the Grey Company did in the books. If Elrond leaves Rivendell right during the Battle of Helm's Deep, then there are no dangers for him to face. By the time he reaches the Gap of Rohan, Isengard would have fallen, Saruman's army completely shattered (by movie perspective). A lone rider, on an "elven steed" could have covered that distance much faster than the preceding characters. And the weary remaining forces of Rohan with women & children then went back to Edoras, where they lingered awhile until the Beacons were lit, then the Muster happened. When they reached Dunharrow, I think they stayed there for 3 days. All things considered, Elrond reaching Aragorn in time is nowhere near as ridiculous as other stuff.

If you want to talk ridiculous, Jackson completely stops caring about travel times in the Hobbit movies, allowing Radagast to hop over the Misty Mountains like they were just some hills, giving the orcs of Gundabad such marching speed that their army arrives at Erebor just a tad behind the 2 Elves that were racing to bring warning of said army.

But the orcs had Shai Hulud to help them on their march...

1 minute ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

But the orcs had Shai Hulud to help them on their march...

No, that was the first orc army. The Gundabad army was the one that showed up the end, and the Eagles and Beorn...

34 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

I thought it was mostly terrible (especially the ending), but to each their own. 

Did you expect the ending to feel satisfying, wrap things up or even make sense to most people? Because if you expected that I could see how it could be disappointing. Have you seen his movies? The whole thing was very Lynch, Lynch allowed to run free with creative control and all his weirdness and supernatural elements, he wasn’t allowed that level of creative control in the original series.

10 minutes ago, Dornishen said:

Did you expect the ending to feel satisfying, wrap things up or even make sense to most people? Because if you expected that I could see how it could be disappointing. Have you seen his movies? The whole thing was very Lynch, Lynch allowed to run free with creative control and all his weirdness and supernatural elements, he wasn’t allowed that level of creative control in the original series.

Yes I’ve seen some of his movies, I like Mulholland Drive a lot, and like the original run of Twin Peaks (minus the awful parts of S2), but S3 just felt completely unnecessary and a waste of time to me for the most part. 

having to wait so long for Cooper was really annoying, and I hated what he did with Audrey’s character (who was so awesome in the original run), just a couple complaints off the top of my head.

6 hours ago, Caligula_K3 said:

For Harry Potter movies, based on my rewatch of all of them this year for the first time since I saw them in theaters:

The Goblet of Fire movie, which I expected to love since the book is so great and I remembered loving it in theaters, was by far the worst of all the movies (even worse than the first two, which have many flaws but also some charm). It's weirdly sexist, badly directed, makes no sense without reading the books, and is pretty visually unimaginative. It hasn't aged well, though the climax of the movie in the graveyard is excellent.

You're wrong. So wrong! the second and fifth installments were easily the weakest ones. 

:spank:

7 hours ago, Caligula_K3 said:

The Goblet of Fire movie, which I expected to love since the book is so great and I remembered loving it in theaters, was by far the worst of all the movies (even worse than the first two, which have many flaws but also some charm). It's weirdly sexist, badly directed, makes no sense without reading the books, and is pretty visually unimaginative. It hasn't aged well, though the climax of the movie in the graveyard is excellent. Meanwhile, Half Blood Prince, which I expected to dislike since it's one of the weakest books, is actually a really funny and charming movie while also having a lot of effective horror elements.

As for distances in the Lord of the Rings movies, and armies and Elronds managing to show up in the nick of time: yeah, it takes some stretching of disbelief, and the Elrond one is edited badly. But I really can't be bothered about movies and TV shows skipping over long journeys. Hell, I can't be bothered about it in books sometimes too, since most authors can't do travelogues consistently well, if at all- give me the Martin of Game of Thrones over the Martin of A Dance with Dragons any day.

Not having read the books, the only part of the movies that confused me was the Half Blood Prince. I remember Snape saying "I am the half-blood prince" to dramatic music but to this day I have no idea what that means or why it was supposed to be important. "I'm the guy who used your textbook before you" can't be it. 

24 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Not having read the books, the only part of the movies that confused me was the Half Blood Prince. I remember Snape saying "I am the half-blood prince" to dramatic music but to this day I have no idea what that means or why it was supposed to be important. "I'm the guy who used your textbook before you" can't be it. 

Ha, that's fair. To be honest, I read the book and I'm still not sure what Rowling was going for with that "twist."

1 hour ago, Nictarion said:

Yes I’ve seen some of his movies, I like Mulholland Drive a lot, and like the original run of Twin Peaks (minus the awful parts of S2), but S3 just felt completely unnecessary and a waste of time to me for the most part. 

Hide contents

having to wait so long for Cooper was really annoying, and I hated what he did with Audrey’s character (who was so awesome in the original run), just a couple complaints off the top of my head.

I think Mulholland Drive is probably his best work. 

I was also frustrated by waiting for Cooper, but then when he finally came it was great. I did like evil Mr C and Dougie grew on me after a while. I don’t understand what was going on with Audrey in the Return, I think she may have been in a hospital and that was all hallucinations (though so much of his work is hallucinatory in general), I didn’t like most of her scenes, but the road house dance to her theme song was cool. I don’t think it was perfect by any means, but I personally found it to be worthwhile and am planning to rewatch when it comes on a streaming network I subscribe to.

Let's see...

Weighing in on Harry Potter, for the most part I enjoy the movies more than the books, because I like the cast. While I'm not going to say the Potter books are overrated (anti-snake propaganda pieces that they are! :angry2:), I admit I've never been a big fan. Even so, I haven't seen any of the movies in years...

I loves me some 1984 Dune. It's ridiculous and sexist but oh-so sincere in its ludicrousness. 

I like the Hobbit movies, warts and all. 

I stopped paying attention to the MCU after Age of Ultron, even though I love superhero comics and the first Avengers movie is one of my favorite movies ever. 

I'm finding it hard to get into a lot of currently-popular anime series, despite being a big anime fan ten years ago. 

Archived