Unpopular opinions

Mosi Mynn

7 minutes ago, Dornishen said:

I think Mulholland Drive is probably his best work. 

Hide contents

I was also frustrated by waiting for Cooper, but then when he finally came it was great. I did like evil Mr C and Dougie grew on me after a while. I don’t understand what was going on with Audrey in the Return, I think she may have been in a hospital and that was all hallucinations (though so much of his work is hallucinatory in general), I didn’t like most of her scenes, but the road house dance to her theme song was cool. I don’t think it was perfect by any means, but I personally found it to be worthwhile and am planning to rewatch when it comes on a streaming network I subscribe to.

One of the books the released after season three ended said the rumor was she was in a private mental health facility. 

5 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Upon what basis do you make the assertion that the Roman Empire never fell?  Not to argue just curious.  

It's a huge bibliography and this is not the forums to do this.

Ok so what the hell brought this thread to life??   Unpopular opinion.

Couldn't care less about Harry Potter, never read a book or saw a single movie. Thought Lord of the Rings was way over rated. Did see the three main movies and thought the first one was one of the most boring movies I had ever seen. The only one I actually liked was the third one.

I don't like Mt. Dew in a can.

6 hours ago, Liver and Onions said:

Let's see...

Weighing in on Harry Potter, for the most part I enjoy the movies more than the books, because I like the cast. While I'm not going to say the Potter books are overrated (anti-snake propaganda pieces that they are! :angry2:), I admit I've never been a big fan. Even so, I haven't seen any of the movies in years...

That reminds me : I don’t like any of the child actors in the HP films (except for Luna), they are all awful.

On 5/22/2018 at 7:29 AM, Mosi Mynn said:

That reminds me : I don’t like any of the child actors in the HP films (except for Luna), they are all awful.

I've never read the books and have no intention of doing so (unless I read to future children). I thought the only great film was "prisoner of azkhaban", the rest were good. Although I thought deathly hallows part 1 deserves as much scorn as hobbit part 2+3 got. It was such a non-film I have yet to watch part 2. I'm unlikely to do so as I don't particularly want to sit through part 1 again.

The new films I like because they don't/can't assume people have already read the book and can fill the narrative gaps.

Deathly Hallows never deserved to be two films.  There is a lot of trudging around woods in the book that could easily have been cut.  I only saw Part 2 - I gave up on the films after Goblet of Fire (but thought I should see the final one), which could easily have been two films - that's a great book with a lot of stuff going on.

32 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

How dare you insult Daniel Radcliffe in my presence 

In my mind you said this while brandishing a pink umbrella menacingly :D 

@red snowNot Really sure what you mean about the films assuming knowledge from the books to make sense. Especially not the first 4 films. If anything the last few rely too heavily on people having read the book.

ugh I’m angry over the HBP all over again. I mean it was probably one of the weaker books but it was still alright. The film was utter tripe and bears only passing resemblance to the source material

10 minutes ago, Risto said:

I hated Deathly Hallows Part 2. Especially given the fact that the adult cast was criminally underused. 

Weren't they all adults by that point :p

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

ugh I’m angry over the HBP all over again. I mean it was probably one of the weaker books but it was still alright. The film was utter tripe and bears only passing resemblance to the source material

It's a movie that makes you sick to your stomach really :)

5 hours ago, Mosi Mynn said:

Deathly Hallows never deserved to be two films.  There is a lot of trudging around woods in the book that could easily have been cut.  I only saw Part 2 - I gave up on the films after Goblet of Fire (but thought I should see the final one), which could easily have been two films - that's a great book with a lot of stuff going on.

The first part is one of the best films in the entire series though. Two wasn't that great, especially when you see what it could use from the books. I expected part one to be a shitty cashgrab but it's better than the second part by a mile :)

To change the tune from HP and LOTR, I don't believe Wing Commander is that bad of a movie. Probably should have gone with better actors, (though Freddie is a better actor today than back then), but I enjoyed the story. And it has great music. As video game adaptations go, there are many far worse.

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World is stupid and Edgar Wright is overrated in general (Love Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead. Baby Driver is nice, the rest of his work pales in comparison)

Pixar's output can't hold a candle against the output of both Disney's Golden Age and the Disney Renaissance. I miss old-fashioned animation :(

Terminator 2 is a piece of crap. The first Terminator is the only one that really exists in my head cannon.

Apocalypse Now is overlong and dreadfully boring. Worse it's kind of a knock-off from Aguirre: Wrath of God by Werner Herzog

Troy is a good film that could have been great if it had lived up to the potential it displayed during its first half an hour of runtime.

The extended edition of Kingdom of Heaven doesn't add anything interesting to the story, in fact it often makes less sense.

2 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

Terminator 2 is a piece of crap. The first Terminator is the only one that really exists in my head cannon.

I think this thread will soon make people hate each other, if not already. :P

3 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

Troy is a good film that could have been great if it had lived up to the potential it displayed during its first half an hour of runtime.

The extended edition of Kingdom of Heaven doesn't add anything interesting to the story, in fact it often makes less sense.

I agree with your assessment of Troy. Having recently watched that BBC show, I couldn't help comparing it with the film, and how the film was overall much better. 

The extended edition of KoH added some scenes that made the first act better, but overall the movie still fails. 

On 5/21/2018 at 6:19 PM, The Number 10 said:

Harry Palmer is cooler that James Bond.

Much cooler.

Harry Palmer was the ultimate in cool. I cannot believe a remake has not yet been done. 

Kubrick was a true genius. Barry Lyndon never got the love it deserved. Kubrick lit scenes with candlelight!!  

Harry Potter? Meh.

Star Wars? Double meh. I would rather watch ant episode of Farscape. 

Casablanca? I am pretty sure my wife decided I was the one after I took her to see it in a rep theatre.

1 hour ago, Veltigar said:

Weren't they all adults by that point :p

I meant professors of Higwarts. And Deatheaters? Damn, even Bella v Molly duel was meh. And I wanted to see Minerva, Slughorn and Kingsley against Voldemort. And f***ing Miriam Margolyes didn't utter a word during entire movie. If that is not a crime, I don't know WHAT is.

Honest to God, I have watched both versions and haven't noticed difference. That said, I like KoH.

Meh. I hate what it did to Brad Pitt's credibility as an actor. He is a good actor, but in a lot of shitty movies.

59 minutes ago, maarsen said:

Harry Potter? Meh.

Star Wars? Double meh. I would rather watch ant episode of Farscape. 

Luckily, you haven't finished with "LOTR? Triple meh" :D

1 hour ago, Corvinus said:

Yeap... @Veltigar's questionable opinions aside, we are doing good job :D 

1 hour ago, Nictarion said:

How can you prefer Aliens to Alien, but hate T2? That doesn’t compute for me...

While I can't speak for him....  Terminator 2 is remarkably stupid with its gigantic paradox at the end.

For me I don't think ALiens is better than Alien but Aliens is Cameron's best movie.

11 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

While I can't speak for him....  Terminator 2 is remarkably stupid with its gigantic paradox at the end.

For me I don't think ALiens is better than Alien but Aliens is Cameron's best movie.

I agree with the second part, but I still like T2. A lot of the SFX still hold up today, imo. 

4 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

@red snowNot Really sure what you mean about the films assuming knowledge from the books to make sense. Especially not the first 4 films. If anything the last few rely too heavily on people having read the book.

In fairness it was from Goblet of fire but very much so from phoenix on when I'd discuss some of the film's flaws and friends would say "but in the book x happens/does this". Althought they also pointed out that from Phoenix onwards the books would be incredibly hard to faithfully adapt anyhow into a sub 3 hour movie.

4 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

How dare you insult Daniel Radcliffe in my presence 

While some of his Harry Potter was weak (to be fair he was a child) he's shown remarkably good taste in pretty much everything he's done since - swiss army man being a highlight. I think I watched/read an interview featuring him where he said he pretty much never needs to work again off the back of Harry Potter and as such only picks projects that challenge/entertain him.

2 hours ago, Corvinus said:

It's like an inadvertent troll thread. Mosi Mynn is clearly planning some forum take over. Phase 1 - divide and conquer.

A friend of mine (who's connected to the forum but may not be a non-lurking member) could fill this thread with his mirror universe favourites of trilogies and franchises. The scariest part is that he often makes a compelling argument. Even though he is WRONG :)

Archived