Unpopular opinions

Mosi Mynn

21 minutes ago, red snow said:

It's like an inadvertent troll thread. Mosi Mynn is clearly planning some forum take over. Phase 1 - divide and conquer.

A friend of mine (who's connected to the forum but may not be a non-lurking member) could fill this thread with his mirror universe favourites of trilogies and franchises. The scariest part is that he often makes a compelling argument. Even though he is WRONG :)

That reminds me, and I don't how popular or unpopular this is, but I wish Star Trek had never come up with that dark mirror universe. Some of the episodes are ok in terms of the writing, but the whole concept depresses and annoys me.

19 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

That reminds me, and I don't how popular or unpopular this is, but I wish Star Trek had never come up with that dark mirror universe. Some of the episodes are ok in terms of the writing, but the whole concept depresses and annoys me.

I guess it was a product of Trek humans being all nice and friendly and it allowed them to have a loophole where we could see the characters be bad by proxy (sort of). It is uneccessary in post DS9/remake timelines though.

32 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

The original Star Trek is to blame for that. Damn but evil Spock with a goatee was just so deliciously evil. 

1 hour ago, red snow said:

It's like an inadvertent troll thread. Mosi Mynn is clearly planning some forum take over. Phase 1 - divide and conquer.

:rofl:

Phase 2 - form some sort of Phantom Menace loving cabal ...

3 hours ago, Corvinus said:

I think this thread will soon make people hate each other, if not already. :P

We'll just start a thread called popular opinions to counterbalance the negative impact of this one :p

4 hours ago, Corvinus said:

I agree with your assessment of Troy. Having recently watched that BBC show, I couldn't help comparing it with the film, and how the film was overall much better. 

The extended edition of KoH added some scenes that made the first act better, but overall the movie still fails. 

I have never really gotten the negative response to Troy. It's better than most big budget films, even though it has little respect for the source material. 

I like the theatrical cut of Kingdom of Heaven. All the added shit with Sybil's son and Guy de Lusignan is just boring padding. The best scenes in the film are the battles and the musings on knighthood and the value of Jerusalem anyway. Everything else is just a distraction and all the added scenes fall under that category.

3 hours ago, Nictarion said:

I agree with the second part, but I still like T2. A lot of the SFX still hold up today, imo. 

Technically speaking, T2 is an important milestone. And the VFX indeed holds up. It just a terribly uninteresting film imo. In part because of the reason @Slurktan gives but it offends on other fronts as well. The kid is terrible, the plot is uninspired and it just falls on the wrong side of parody. It also tainted the legacy of a much more impressive film, namely the first Terminator.

Aliens on the other hand had a magnificent cast (with one of the best performances by a child-actor ever), a good plot featuring a realistic action hero and it offers the right amount of humour (game over man) without falling into parody (something like the hasta la vista line from T2 does). On top of that, it took what was great from its predecessor namely Ripley and the Alien and just purified it until they reached the essence of what was good about Alien. Then they mixed that with coke and gunpowder and had James Cameron sniff it while he was shooting Aliens.

1 hour ago, Sour Billy Tipton said:

No you wouldn't.  But thank you for not saying 'I would literally rather dip my balls in lava than ever watch the Godfather again'.

I was clearly not serious with the lava line, but it clearly went over your head. Thank you for the useless reply.

This is probably a popular opinion, but can MTV just go away?  They play The Dark Knight and Titanic as part of their programming.  They obvious argument is how playing those movies have nothing to do with MUSIC Television but how unoriginal is it to play those movies as part of any programming.

They'd be better off if they simply cleaned house of all executives and all programming and just brought back VJs from the 80's and had Kennedy come back for unplugged once a month.

On 5/20/2018 at 9:44 PM, Veltigar said:

Alien is boring, long live Aliens! Preach

The only reason that justifies Blade Runner's existence is the incredible sequel we got out of it so many years later. I guess so, I hate them both

Superhero films are pretty much always bad to mediocre. Moving on

The Dark Knight isn't a great film, it's a great performance by one man. Yes, yes!

The Royal Wedding is a blasphemous fuck you towards all the struggling people everywhere. *high fives*

AFFC is the best book in the series Waitaminute.....

The Last Jedi was better than all the SW films since Empire Guns at sunrise, motherf.....

I don't care about player safety in the NFL, and if you believe the league does you're incredibly naive.  

If someone decides they want to make a profession out of playing a game in which world-class athletes in peak physical form are constantly hitting you at a high velocity, you shouldn't threaten the league with future litigation because of the consequences of debilitating injuries.

44 minutes ago, Red Tiger said:

The only reason that justifies Blade Runner's existence is the incredible sequel we got out of it so many years later. I guess so, I hate them both

Yeah this reminds me:  I hate Blade Runner - the original.  Never saw the remake or whatever.  Always find it boring.  When I tell people this they're almost always very surprised, so I guess that's my most unpopular opinion.

50 minutes ago, Red Tiger said:

Unpopular opinion, The Wire is overrated. Yeah it's technically good, but it's easy to not give a rat's ass about the people (and thus the series), as they are self-destructive as fuck.

My problem with Wire is that I cared too much about the people, so it's too depressing to rewatch.  Especially the fourth season and the kids.

1 hour ago, Red Tiger said:

Unpopular opinion, The Wire is overrated. Yeah it's technically good, but it's easy to not give a rat's ass about the people (and thus the series), as they are self-destructive as fuck.

Is this a problem for you with other shows with self destructive characters? Which I feel like is most of them these days? Sopranos, Breaking Bad, The Leftovers, and Bojack Horseman off the top of my head are all amazing shows that have leads who are very self-destructive.  I'm sure there are more I'm not thinking of. 

1 hour ago, Red Tiger said:

Unpopular opinion, The Wire is overrated. 

I concur.  I watched the first 3 seasons and then sort of gave up.  I think David Simon is overrated in general.  He's definitely come up with some original and entertaining programming.  However, he didn't re-invent television as some would suggest. 

I couldn't even watch more than two episodes of Generation Kill.  I didn't give a shit about any of the characters and the scenes with the lieutenant and his hoarse voice got old fairly quickly for me.

P.S. Show Me a Hero was a very underrated mini-series.

4 hours ago, red snow said:

In fairness it was from Goblet of fire but very much so from phoenix on when I'd discuss some of the film's flaws and friends would say "but in the book x happens/does this". Althought they also pointed out that from Phoenix onwards the books would be incredibly hard to faithfully adapt anyhow into a sub 3 hour movie.

While some of his Harry Potter was weak (to be fair he was a child) he's shown remarkably good taste in pretty much everything he's done since - swiss army man being a highlight. I think I watched/read an interview featuring him where he said he pretty much never needs to work again off the back of Harry Potter and as such only picks projects that challenge/entertain him.

A friend of mine (who's connected to the forum but may not be a non-lurking member) could fill this thread with his mirror universe favourites of trilogies and franchises. The scariest part is that he often makes a compelling argument. Even though he is WRONG :)

Oh,  I see. I misunderstood and thought you mean the The later movies were less reliant on book knowledge, which we both apparently disagree on :cheers:

21 minutes ago, Sour Billy Tipton said:

I concur.  I watched the first 3 seasons and then sort of gave up.  I think David Simon is overrated in general.  He's definitely come up with some original and entertaining programming.  However, he didn't re-invent television as some would suggest. 

Your subjective opinion is horrible and just wrong. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Archived