Unpopular opinions

Mosi Mynn

1 hour ago, Red Tiger said:

Kelly Rowland in her 20s was hotter than Beyonce in her 20s.

1 hour ago, Astromech said:

FTFY

The Beehive will rise up and strike you down!!!

55 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

Yeah this reminds me:  I hate Blade Runner - the original.  Never saw the remake or whatever.  Always find it boring.  When I tell people this they're almost always very surprised, so I guess that's my most unpopular opinion.

I've tried watching it three times. All three times I fell asleep. I wasn't sober any of the three times, but that movies needs booze to tolerate. 

My Unpopular Opinion: Bring back gladiators. Real ones, none of this fluffy UFC stuff. 

I concur.  I watched the first 3 seasons and then sort of gave up.  I think David Simon is overrated in general.  He's definitely come up with some original and entertaining programming.  However, he didn't re-invent television as some would suggest. 

I couldn't even watch more than two episodes of Generation Kill.  I didn't give a shit about any of the characters and the scenes with the lieutenant and his hoarse voice got old fairly quickly for me.

P.S. Show Me a Hero was a very underrated mini-series.

14 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

Your subjective opinion is horrible and just wrong. You should be ashamed of yourself.

?

Just now, Tywin et al. said:

I've tried watching it three times. All three times I fell asleep. I wasn't sober any of the three times, but that movies needs booze to tolerate. 

My Unpopular Opinion: Bring back gladiators. Real ones, none of this fluffy UFC stuff. 

I saw gladiators and thought you meant this which oh hell yeah gimme that 90s gold!

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

Is this a problem for you with other shows with self destructive characters? Which I feel like is most of them these days? Sopranos, Breaking Bad, The Leftovers, and Bojack Horseman off the top of my head are all amazing shows that have leads who are very self-destructive.  I'm sure there are more I'm not thinking of. 

See here's the thing, with shows like The Sopranos and Bojack, you have some levity here and there to balance out the really depressing stuff. With the Wire, it's just depression, depression, depression. There was just no joy in seeing these people go through their lives.

10 minutes ago, Sour Billy Tipton said:

?

All in the game, yo. 

16 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I saw gladiators and thought you meant this which oh hell yeah gimme that 90s gold!

I loved watching American Gladiators. So great.

2 minutes ago, Red Tiger said:

With the Wire, it's just depression, depression, depression. There was just no joy in seeing these people go through their lives.

This is why I recommend people should watch Requiem For a Dream only once or twice in their lifetime.  Wait has Aronofsky received a pass on this thread?

3 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

All in the game, yo. 

I made it to season 3.  One day I'll probably finish it.  For all of the acclaim The Wire received I can't think of any defining scenes.  Maybe the chess scene outside the towers is one.  

Obviously I'm bias but you can't put up any scenes from The Wire that could compete with Christopher's intervention on The Sopranos:

8 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

All in the game, yo. 

Fah I say, fah! This is UK gladiators fool, vastly superior to your American twaddle!*

*has not actually seen American gladiators :P 

2 hours ago, Red Tiger said:

Unpopular opinion.

I would rather dip my balls in lava than ever watch the Godfather again. I thought it was boring trash and I fell asleep multiple times while watching it.

is this a T2 tribute? Maybe the T-800 felt the same way about the Godfather.

8 minutes ago, Sour Billy Tipton said:

I made it to season 3.  One day I'll probably finish it.  For all of the acclaim The Wire received I can't think of any defining scenes.  Maybe the chess scene outside the towers is one.  

Obviously I'm bias but you can't put up any scenes from The Wire that could compete with Christopher's intervention on The Sopranos:

Well season 4 is widely regarded as being the best season of The Wire, but if you don’t like it by season 3 then it’s probably just not for you. We can agree on Sopranos being insanely good though. Both in my top 5.

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

Is this a problem for you with other shows with self destructive characters? Which I feel like is most of them these days? Sopranos, Breaking Bad, The Leftovers, and Bojack Horseman off the top of my head are all amazing shows that have leads who are very self-destructive.  I'm sure there are more I'm not thinking of. 

Mad Men, Justified, Dexter, Lost, even Penny Dreadful.  Hell I'd be hard-pressed to name a show I like that didn't have self-destructive characters as the leads.  WE'RE ALL BROKEN!

13 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

Yeah that's a nostalgia kick.  Watched a lot of this as a kid.

4 minutes ago, Sour Billy Tipton said:

This is why I recommend people should watch Requiem For a Dream only once or twice in their lifetime.  Wait has Aronofsky received a pass on this thread?

Obviously I'm bias but you can't put up any scenes from The Wire that could compete with Christopher's intervention on The Sopranos

LOL, you're right that's it's crazy Aronofsky has escaped this thread thus far.  I really like Requiem, but I probably watched it half a dozen times in the couple years after it came out, and since have had no desire to watch it again because yeah it's depressing as well.  Although that "be excited, be be excited" infomercial is classic.  My unpopular opinion with Aronofsky:  I LOVE The Fountain, and think it's a very great movie.  Probably in my top 20.

No defining scenes of the Wire?  Stringer Bell's death says hello:

And yeah, Chris' intervention was fucking awesome.  I love how Tony wasn't outraged until Adriana told them he killed her dog.

45 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

Mad Men, Justified, Dexter, Lost, even Penny Dreadful.  Hell I'd be hard-pressed to name a show I like that didn't have self-destructive characters as the leads.  WE'RE ALL BROKEN!

I can't believe I forgot Mad Men. I dunno that I'd call Raylan self-destructive. I remember him more as a classic hero who just can't stop shooting people god bless him. Boyd is a lead but he's also (mostly) the bad guy so I think it's sorta expected for him to do bad things but he's never depicted as being self-loathing or anything, as I recall (time for a re-watch, though)

No defining scenes of the Wire?  Stringer Bell's death says hello:

Where's Wallace at!? D'angelo's Great Gatsby analysis in prison. Omar in court. (basically anytime Omar was on screen) "There has never been a paper bag." Bubbles finally talking in the NA meeting. Dookie and Micheal's goodbye where he pretends not to remember the events of last summer kills me every damn time.  Again, sure I'm forgetting a few.

The only thing sopranos has on it is humor, really. The Sopranos was really funny. Ok also music. Though I do love The Wire's end credits theme.

And yeah, Chris' intervention was fucking awesome.  I love how Tony wasn't outraged until Adriana told them he killed her dog.

The show suggests a couple times that sociopaths like Tony have far greater empathy for animals and babies than people. I think it's one of the things Melfie reads about them towards the end that causes her to fire Tony as a patient. 

Edit: Didn't mean to suggest that babies aren't people. Though that would be an unpopular opinion. 

15 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I dunno that I'd call Raylan self-destructive.

Season 2 finale.  Winona has to beg Art to not let Raylan get himself killed, and the marshals come at the last moment right before the older Bennet kid is gonna kill him.

19 minutes ago, RumHam said:

The only thing sopranos has on it is humor, really. 

I dunno about that.  They're entirely different shows and I don't like comparing.  Sopranos is much more of a heady, introspective narrative.  The Wire does not get in the heads of its characters to anywhere near such a degree.  But that's because it's doing something different, so yeah, I prefer to just say they're both two of the greatest shows ever and leave it at that.

22 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I think it's one of the things Melfie reads about them towards the end that causes her to fire Tony as a patient. 

Yup.  She gets that study on sociopaths and we see her reading it describing exactly her treatment with Tony.  That's when she fires him.

23 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Didn't mean to suggest that babies aren't people. Though that would be an unpopular opinion.

LOL

1 hour ago, Ramsay B. said:

Well season 4 is widely regarded as being the best season of The Wire, but if you don’t like it by season 3 then it’s probably just not for you. We can agree on Sopranos being insanely good though. Both in my top 5.

I go back and forth between S3 & 4 myself. 

As good as S4 was the show wasn’t quite the same without

Stringer

Both are also in my top 5 as well. In fact it’s The Sopranos 1, The Wire 2 for me. 

6 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Also, The Godfather is trash?? This thread has officially jumped the shark...

I don't get it either, but I'll respect the spirit of the thread.

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Gladiator fights did have strict rules and codes of conduct to ensure a fair fight. Weight divisions, gender match-ups, opposing style match-ups and so on were used to make the fights fair.

You want real violence? Bring back chariot racing!

The average career was perhaps 2-3 years before serious injury, disability or death prevented further racing. Proof of bravery and manliness came from tying yourself to the horses. Charioteers carried a knife in case they fell so that they wouldn't be dragged to their deaths. Also, to save weight and money, rather than use actual chariots they'd use a wicker basket on a wooden frame.

To save even more money, sometimes only the outside right horse was trained fully, as they had to lead the other horses around the circuit. So three horses were not especially well-trained.

Your whip was only partly to spur on your horses, it was also used as a weapon for the race.

To say nothing of the fact that the Circus Maximus held 250,000 people, each supporting one of the four teams, and were prone to rioting if a race ended poorly, was believed to be fixed, ended in the crash or death of a crowd favourite or was just getting a bit boring.

Unpopular opinions

1. I like my steak medium well and the hell with you bloody still moving medium rare and rare m'fers!

2. Peanut butter and pickles do go together

3. I'd rather have Emmitt Smith on my team than Barry Sanders

4. I like several MTV shows so I don't want it to go anywhere. The Challenge, Jersey Shore, and Ridiculousness...

5. I actually like this thread

Archived