Unpopular opinions

Mosi Mynn

6 hours ago, Yukle said:

Gladiator fights did have strict rules and codes of conduct to ensure a fair fight. Weight divisions, gender match-ups, opposing style match-ups and so on were used to make the fights fair.

You want real violence? Bring back chariot racing!

The average career was perhaps 2-3 years before serious injury, disability or death prevented further racing. Proof of bravery and manliness came from tying yourself to the horses. Charioteers carried a knife in case they fell so that they wouldn't be dragged to their deaths. Also, to save weight and money, rather than use actual chariots they'd use a wicker basket on a wooden frame.

To save even more money, sometimes only the outside right horse was trained fully, as they had to lead the other horses around the circuit. So three horses were not especially well-trained.

Your whip was only partly to spur on your horses, it was also used as a weapon for the race.

To say nothing of the fact that the Circus Maximus held 250,000 people, each supporting one of the four teams, and were prone to rioting if a race ended poorly, was believed to be fixed, ended in the crash or death of a crowd favourite or was just getting a bit boring.

I think there could be a good film/tv show based on this!

1 hour ago, Mme Erzulie said:

Superhero films are for children. Grownups should grow up and stop watching them.

You only turn old when you forget what it's like to be a child. Next you'll be shouting "get off my lawn"! 

7 minutes ago, dbunting said:

2. I think The Last Jedi wasn't a bad movie, it just tried to be something it isn't and never should be, a Marvel movie.

That's an interesting take.  I wonder if that was what they had in mind. I was sooooo disappointed with TLJ - but that's hardly an unpopular opinion!

Most science fiction --including Star Trek and Star Wars-- is simply awful.... 

For every "the best of both Worlds" ... we got ten "Worf and Alexander on the holodeck" episodes... and even the stuff that could have been/should have been good (he dominion war) was diluted by lazy writing, and hackneyed tv tropes...

with the exception of Rogue One... there hasn;t been a good star wars movie since the Empire Strikes back... it's an Ewok/Jar Jar oriented franchise with sprinkles of cool light saber fights

... and there is no god.

4 hours ago, Mme Erzulie said:

Superhero films are for children. Grownups should grow up and stop watching them.

The problem is when they grow up and expect their childhood shows/comics/books to grow up with them resulting in material kids can no longer enjoy.

4 hours ago, Mme Erzulie said:

It seems like my generation and a bit older did not want to grow up!  The likes of Joss Whedon, JJ Abrams, Kevin Feige et al have taken their childhood geeky obsessions and made them into profitable and entertaining careers.

18 hours ago, Red Tiger said:

See here's the thing, with shows like The Sopranos and Bojack, you have some levity here and there to balance out the really depressing stuff. With the Wire, it's just depression, depression, depression. There was just no joy in seeing these people go through their lives.

You are so wrong about the bolded.

Also, there's never been any television like Treme, which was balls to the wall brilliant, and not just technically.  But even technically -- have you any idea what an achievement that extended Second Line scene is?  What it take to shoot and record something like that, seamlessly?  If you don't have any idea you've never been on a Second Line, and tried to even take a coherent photograph and sound recording, much less audio and film / video.

Now as far as The Deuce goes -- I haven't been able to bring myself to watch that, not in this climate with a rapist-in-chief running the country and his secondary rapists and women haters and haters of everything else also running the country and sounding off everywhere everyday.

I have a theory that the Troy film is so hated and denigrated because - Orlando Bloom's character of Paris is such a sniveling, weak-kneed, pathetic coward.  People couldn't bear to see their beloved Legolas, on his knees and crying and running away from fighting.

BTW one feel as superior as one likes in one's dislike of Blade Runner, but this film had more influence on the development of sf on screen than just about anything else as to what the future on earth will look and be like.  And on the page, Bill Gibson was so enthralled with the look and sound and feel of Blade Runner he invented cyberpunk -- at least that's what he told me some years ago.

14 minutes ago, Risto said:

Speaking of Star Trek, I have thoroughly enjoyed Voyager and never understood why people hated it.

I was just reading this:

https://birthmoviesdeath.com/2018/05/24/star-trek-voyager-defense-set-course-for-home

I didn't hate it but there are some episodes that really suck. and I hate that the finale just ended when they got in sight of earth. 

But I like him anyway, regardless of that lol. I see a lot of people complaining that he's weird or bland or whatever but I always kinda dig his vibes in interviews & thought he was one of the few actually decent things about Suicide Squad. 

Archived