Unpopular opinions

Mosi Mynn

5 hours ago, Risto said:

1. I never understood the love for "The Shape of Water"

It's decent, but I've never understood why Guillermo del Toro gets so many accolades. Yes, he has a great visual style and very cool productive design, but his characters are flat and stories simplistic. Pan's Labyrinth is actually unpleasant and depressing. I do enjoy Hellboy and its sequel though...

I also enjoy Ewoks, even with their fairly incredible victory over an "entire legion of (the Emperor's) best troops". 

And I like Episode III a lot. 

Star Trek III is actually a pretty good movie. 

Drake is a fairly shitty rapper/"artist" and he will only ever be known to me as Aubrey Graham, aka the wheelchair kid "Jimmy" from Degrassi: The Next Generation

It's been said already, but I don't really get love for the Beatles. All very meh. 

3 minutes ago, Aemon Stark said:

I do enjoy Hellboy and its sequel though...

I actually tried to hate Hellboy the first time I was in a room where it was on, and failed. If nothing else that is an inoffensive and distracting movie. 

Based on what I've seen in here, these are unpopular opinions.

I like the Top Gear crew, especially Clarkston! It did get a bit stale after a while.

Beatles over Rolling Stones for me every time.

Madonna kills Lady Gaga in every way possible, but I do not hate Lady Gaga, though I sometimes wouldn't admit it?

I also like Episode III, to me it's the most grown up friendly movie of the prequels.

Didn't mind the Ewoks, I saw ROTJ when I was like 11-12 so they weren't distracting at all. Looking back on it though they signaled the onslaught of pandering to little kids in the prequels. ANH and TESB didn't seem to have obvious young kid (4-8 yr olds) tie ins. 

13 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I've been told I look like him before. But to be fair, people tell me I look like a ton of different actors who oddly look nothing alike.

Hey, he could be a really cool guy in real life. He's just not a very good actor. You mentioned bland and mind intsantly goes to "I think pretty much any other actor could have played the same role he did and could have delivered an equal performance," which is a pretty damning thing to say about an actor.

I think he gets cast in the wrong things. He gets cast in bulky hero or villain types a lot and i don’t think he’s strong enough to be a main lead actor but I def think he has potential to have a decently career with quirky side characters. I thought he was great as boomerang. 

6 hours ago, Aemon Stark said:

And I like Episode III a lot. 

Agreed, it's amazing. It makes all of the lightsaber fights unwatchable because they're so well done (except for Darth Maul in Episode I. I admit that was amazing, too).

Here's my very controversial opinion I rank the Star Wars films from best to worst thusly:

Empire Strikes Back

Revenge of the Sith

A New Hope

The Phantom Menace

Return of the Jedi

Attack of the Clones

Disney fan-fiction bullshit

I hate the prequel lightsaber fights apart from Duel of the Fates in episode I because they aren’t just so overchoreographed jumpy bullshit with no emotional weight to them. I couldn’t care less about the stakes no matter how much Ob Ewan Kenobi screams YOU WERE THE CHOSEN ONE! Darth Maul vs Qui-Gon and Kenobi was awesome though, shame it was intercut by all of that other nonesense.

Before anyone jumps in, no, I do not think Kenobi vs Vader in A New Hope was more entertaining, I found the fights in V and VI much better though. And those in the newest movies too. Perfect blend of energy, emotion and style. I could watch Snoke’s throne room on repeat (and have, suck it).

oh and Padme Amidala is such a waste of potential both as a character and actress. I’m glad Portman managed to move on from the prequel stink without being adversely affected. After all she was given all of the most cringeworthy scenes in AotC with Hayden and then reduced to a prop I need RotS

32 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I hate the prequel lightsaber fights apart from Duel of the Fates in episode I because they aren’t just so overchoreographed jumpy bullshit with no emotional weight to them. I couldn’t care less about the stakes no matter how much Ob Ewan Kenobi screams YOU WERE THE CHOSEN ONE! Darth Maul vs Qui-Gon and Kenobi was awesome though, shame it was intercut by all of that other nonesense.

Before anyone jumps in, no, I do not think Kenobi vs Vader in A New Hope was more entertaining, I found the fights in V and VI much better though. And those in the newest movies too. Perfect blend of energy, emotion and style. I could watch Snoke’s throne room on repeat (and have, suck it).

oh and Padme Amidala is such a waste of potential both as a character and actress. I’m glad Portman managed to move on from the prequel stink without being adversely affected. After all she was given all of the most cringeworthy scenes in AotC with Hayden and then reduced to a prop I need RotS

Totally agree with all of this.

I really dislike the final Obi Wan v Anakin fight in the lava.  I don't care about either character, so there are no stakes.  And it cemented my hatred of Obi Wan Kenobi because he left so-called brother/best friend/padawan charred and limbless - left him like that alive - and stole his lightsaber!  If you want the lightsaber so badly, at least put the poor guy out of his misery before walking off with it! 

23 minutes ago, Mosi Mynn said:

Totally agree with all of this.

I really dislike the final Obi Wan v Anakin fight in the lava.  I don't care about either character, so there are no stakes.  And it cemented my hatred of Obi Wan Kenobi because he left so-called brother/best friend/padawan charred and limbless - left him like that alive - and stole his lightsaber!  If you want the lightsaber so badly, at least put the poor guy out of his misery before walking off with it! 

That poor guy slaughtered a room full of small children why would he deserve Kenobi’s mercy?

6 minutes ago, Mosi Mynn said:

So just kill him.  Don't leave him to die in tortuous agony!

And why steal the lightsaber wigh so much innovent blood on it?

Well there wasn’t much choice on how to write that. How else would Luke get it? 

There could have been plenty of options had it been thought through.  Obi Wan could have thought Anakin was dead and taken in it in remembrance.  Did Obi Wan take it for Anakin's children?  It must have brought back horrific memories when he bequeathed it to Luke!

It's like Leia saying she remembered her mother, and the many many fan theories needed to try and make her remember Padme when Luke doesn't.

5 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Well there wasn’t much choice on how to write that. How else would Luke get it? 

In a way, this is the fundamental problem with the prequels. It wasn’t a prequel to the story we were told. “Your father wanted you to have this when you were old enough”. Write that. Write the scene we’re all picturing when we hear that, not some other thing you made up in between.

My unpopular opinion:

Raiders of the Lost Ark was an ok fun summer action movie, but not deserving of the pedestal it's been put on. Rewatching 35 years later it has aged terribly and is totally cringe worthy.

1 hour ago, Impmk2 said:

My unpopular opinion:

Raiders of the Lost Ark was an ok fun summer action movie, but not deserving of the pedestal it's been put on. Rewatching 35 years later it has aged terribly and is totally cringe worthy.

Totally agree. The Last Crusade is so much better too.

3 hours ago, Impmk2 said:

My unpopular opinion:

Raiders is okay, Temple of Doom is complete garbage.

I think the odd numbered ones are pretty good (Last Crusade outstanding) and the even numbered ones shouldn't exist.

On 5/25/2018 at 8:35 PM, Triskele said:

Ewok hate has always baffled me.  However it was done with costumes it was utterly believable.  Sure, they were cute and cuddly, but it felt like they really were a race of cute and cuddly Ewoks.  Contrast that with the crime-against-humanity, not-ready-for-prime-time CGI of the prequel trilogy...

My only annoyance with Ewoks is the mild pandering aspect Lucas stated that are aimed at children. 

Much of the CGI for Star Wars was far advance for it's time. There was too much being done and that does not hold up well. With CGI I am more forgiving when problems are pushing the Tech than being cheap.

Archived