Unpopular opinions

Mosi Mynn

2 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

I saw her in Terminator and thought she was terrible and saw her in Voice from the Stone, and while she wasn't 'terrible' her range still seems very limited.  Haven't seen Me Before You though.

It's just a weepy emotionally manipulative romance film - but she's totally charming in it. 

Marilyn Monroe was a terrific comic actress.  I'm thinking of Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, Monkey Business and, o lordessa!, Some Like It Hot.  Though her role was very small in this first? movie she was in, she was fabulous in All About Eve with Bette Davis.

But yes, Emilia Clarke is awful.  But then, just about all them in Got are (talk about unpopular opinions!). :P

11 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Marilyn Monroe was a terrific comic actress.  I'm thinking of Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, Monkey Business and, o lordessa!, Some Like It Hot.  Though her role was very small in this first? movie she was in, she was fabulous in All About Eve with Bette Davis.

But yes, Emilia Clarke is awful.  But then, just about all them in Got are (talk about unpopular opinions!). :P

She's great in Gentlemen prefer blondes, and Some like it hot [although having one of the best directors of all time in Billy Wilder kinda helped there], but this is a very very limited range of 'funny, dumb blondes'....and my unpopular opinion here is that the studios shoehorned her into those roles because they were the only ones she could reliably deliver.

I thought she was good in Niagara, but her charisma is so insane in that movie, it's hard to say.  Bus stop, which was supposed to be her great dramatic break through I find her performance is literally so bad as to be unwatchable, I cannot understand how she got good reviews in this film.  She's pretty far gone by the misfits, but is at best uneven in it.  I liked her in Don't Bother to Knock, even though the acting is a bit over the top.  She just really was not very good and the kind of roles she was good in were a very narrow band of light comedy/ditzy woman.

11 hours ago, Fall Bass said:

Alien vs Predator is a pretty entertaining film. Not the second one (which sucks), but the first one is a lot of fun and the ending is good times. I think it was a step in the right direction for the Alien franchise as well, since we're long past the point where one of these things is scary and people care enough to make it profitable to do a $100 budget million Alien movie (if it ever was the case for the latter). They should be making these Resident Evil film style, producing them for $50 million each so they can earn a profit on a reliable $200-300 million box office return for each film. Do ALL the crossovers, and do Alien: Isolation before that. 

I really enjoyed the first AvP movie.  It was a fun action romp with some cool moments between the predator and the woman.

The second movie was an abomination except for one thing;  the predator in that movie was awesome.  It was like some bounty hunter with cool gadgets and badass weaponry.  The rest of the movie though?  Don't watch it.

5 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

Eric Bana is the man. His performance in Munich is one of my favorites ever

Yeah, I’ve always liked Bana(and love Munich)since his Chopper days. It’s too bad he hasn’t gotten anything of note in recent years. Although I just read he’s gonna be in a series called ‘Dirty John’ about a true crime case I’m very familiar with. It’s on Bravo though so it’s probably gonna be terrible.

4 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

I saw her in Terminator and thought she was terrible and saw her in Voice from the Stone, and while she wasn't 'terrible' her range still seems very limited.  Haven't seen Me Before You though.

I thought she was great in Terminator. The rest of the film though.... (Yeesh)

2 hours ago, Fiddler said:

I really enjoyed the first AvP movie.  It was a fun action romp with some cool moments between the predator and the woman.

The second movie was an abomination except for one thing;  the predator in that movie was awesome.  It was like some bounty hunter with cool gadgets and badass weaponry.  The rest of the movie though?  Don't watch it.

The first AvP movie sucked balls.  I mean PG 13? Be serious.   The second wasn't much better.

5 hours ago, aceluby said:

My unpopular opinion: I like the DC cinematic world more than Marvel.  Definitely should have done the route of a bunch of solo movies before BvS and Justice League, but I have enjoyed the hell out of the entire series and honestly can't wait for more to come out.  I like the darker setting, tone, and characters more.

I saw BvS on opening weekend.  It was frustrating to watch and I agree with much of the criticism of it, but after a time it felt like people were just piling on.  Compare it to another highly anticipated disappointment: Prometheus.  Check the score on RT.  There is no possible fucking universe where Prometheus is a 7.3/10 and BvS is a 2.7/10.

However, the Ultimate cut of BvS, which did get a limited theatrical release, I think is fantastic (if a bit too long). The course correction they did for JL was a massive let down.  Say what you will about the other films in the DCU, they are ambitious.  JL just wasn't.

I liked Wonder Woman but I thought it was over-praised.  I mean, an oscar campaign?  Please.

Now a bit of a rant:  How the fuck did Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 not get an R rating?  That scene where Yondu kills all the mutineers was like the Red Wedding with a 70's top-40 soundtrack.  You see slow motion shots where the guy goes "Ak" while the arrow clearly bursts out of his chest or back with spurts of CGI blood and everything.   And then Rocket straight up starts shooting people.

Don't get me wrong; I thought it was a cool scene, but was I the only one who thought it was slightly inappropriate for a film with kids in the audience?

28 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

Yeah, I’ve always liked Bana(and love Munich)since his Chopper days. It’s too bad he hasn’t gotten anything of note in recent years. Although I just read he’s gonna be in a series called ‘Dirty John’ about a true crime case I’m very familiar with. It’s on Bravo though so it’s probably gonna be terrible.

Been meaning to see Chopper for years...

5 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

It's just a weepy emotionally manipulative romance film - but she's totally charming in it. 

Ever seen videos/interviews of her in interviews and stuff? She’s such an expressive fun person that her frequent deadpanning in Thrones almost has to be at least in part from the direction she gets. Seems like a lovely lady though whatever one thinks of her acting.

Not sure how unpopular this is but Graham Norton >>>>>>> American Late night talk show hosts (Myers, Kimmel, Fallon, Conan. And Corden I guess even if he is a Brit his shownis US based). So much more fun.

45 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Ever seen videos/interviews of her in interviews and stuff? She’s such an expressive fun person that her frequent deadpanning in Thrones almost has to be at least in part from the direction she gets. Seems like a lovely lady though whatever one thinks of her acting.

Not sure how unpopular this is but Graham Norton >>>>>>> American Late night talk show hosts (Myers, Kimmel, Fallon, Conan. And Corden I guess even if he is a Brit his shownis US based). So much more fun.

i love graham norton, think he's a lot more fun, easy-going and is in general a much, much better host and his show is heaps better. can't actually stand those american shows. i dont like the way the hosts are.

20 hours ago, Fall Bass said:

Speaking of Firefly, I think I disliked most of the episodes that fans liked the most. 

Also, "Valiant" in Deep Space Nine is my favorite episode of any Star Trek series aside from "Year of Hell" in Voyager. It' s just a perfect reflection of groupthink at work, from beginning to end. 

I liked Firefly but the wild praise it gets is just so far over the top. The world building is more superficial than first appears (especially apparent in Serenity) and Nathan Filion's delivery of the "Chinese" phrases never came across properly. 

Your love for "Valiant" is certainly a minority view. I actually quite like it too, but I have other favs. 

I find The Dark Knight Rises much more enjoyable than its predecessor, mainly because Bane is just that fun. It even almost makes me want to rewatch Star Trek: Nemesis to see Tom Hardy as a bizarre double of Patrick Stewart (almost). 

10 hours ago, Zorral said:

Sean Bean and Peter Dinklage, top notch. The blokes who play Varys and Petyr, likewise. And Stannis. And Melisandre.

Yeah, actually, plenty of the cast is plenty good! You take that back! :P 

1 hour ago, Aemon Stark said:

I find The Dark Knight Rises much more enjoyable than its predecessor, mainly because Bane is just that fun.

This borders on blasphemy.

Trying to resist talking GoT here like I usually do...but here’s a really unpopular opinion (for this board at least) I love Emilia Clarke as Daenerys. She always nails the big iconic scenes, and is much better than she gets credit for. She’s had weak points (looking at you season 2!), and she’s obviously not in the same league as the more experienced heavyweights like Michelle Fairley, Sean Bean, Lena Headey, etc, but I completely disagree with those that feel she’s terrible. Does she have the most range in the world? Probably not. And that’s a fair criticism, but I just don’t get the OTT hate for her performance. Never have. 

1 minute ago, Nictarion said:

Trying to resist talking GoT here like I usually do...but here’s a really unpopular opinion (for this board at least) I love Emilia Clarke as Daenerys. She always nails the big iconic scenes, and is much better than she gets credit for. She’s had weak points (looking at you season 2!), and she’s obviously not in the same league as the more experienced heavyweights like Michelle Fairley, Sean Bean, Lena Headey, etc, but I completely disagree with those that feel she’s terrible. Does she have the most range in the world? Probably not. And that’s a fair criticism, but I just don’t get the OTT hate for her performance. Never have. 

I sometimes wonder if that's a projection of how people feel about the character Dany, rather than the actress playing her. A bit like how the poor kid who plays Joffrey probably has no friends no matter how nice he is in real life. He did too good of a job playing a villain. :P

4 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

It helps that she's a considerably more experienced actor than she was 7 years ago.  I thought the scenes she played opposite Peter Dinklage in season 5 were fantastic. Her Dragonstone scenes were great as well.  Her performance in the last Terminator film was one of the few high points of that film.  She didn't exactly stand out in SOLO but she was solid.

Speaking of dislike for a character projecting on to the actor: Alfie Allen doesn't get nearly the recognition he deserves for Theon/Reek

This is not so much an unpopular opinion as it is a pedantic opinion for complete losers. But in terms of the show's design, I don't like that the dragons are wyverns, not dragons.

They're mostly the same, except dragons usually have 6 limbs (forelimbs, hindlimbs and wings) whereas wyverns have 4 limbs (hindlimbs and wings).

There's no strict rule, since they're not yet proven to exist (don't crush my dreams) but I think the hexapodal dragons look better.

Archived