Unpopular opinions

Mosi Mynn

1 hour ago, Yukle said:

This is not so much an unpopular opinion as it is a pedantic opinion for complete losers. But in terms of the show's design, I don't like that the dragons are wyverns, not dragons.

They're mostly the same, except dragons usually have 6 limbs (forelimbs, hindlimbs and wings) whereas wyverns have 4 limbs (hindlimbs and wings).

There's no strict rule, since they're not yet proven to exist (don't crush my dreams) but I think the hexapodal dragons look better.

If you are going to be a pedant, you might as well really nail it.

Another unpopular opinion, Fight Club is distinctly average, a solid 7 at best.  Its ranking in the IMDB top 250 is a complete mystery to me.  Brad Pitt can't act for shit.

1 hour ago, Yukle said:

A bit like how the poor kid who plays Joffrey probably has no friends no matter how nice he is in real life. He did too good of a job playing a villain. :P

There was an interview with him after S4 I think, apparently everyone who approaches him says exactly what you just did - “Oh my god you must have so many people dislike you, I’m so sorry!”, said he never gets any negative comments or vibes.

5 hours ago, Yukle said:

This is not so much an unpopular opinion as it is a pedantic opinion for complete losers. But in terms of the show's design, I don't like that the dragons are wyverns, not dragons.

They're mostly the same, except dragons usually have 6 limbs (forelimbs, hindlimbs and wings) whereas wyverns have 4 limbs (hindlimbs and wings).

There's no strict rule, since they're not yet proven to exist (don't crush my dreams) but I think the hexapodal dragons look better.

I agree.

10 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Not sure how unpopular this is but Graham Norton >>>>>>> American Late night talk show hosts (Myers, Kimmel, Fallon, Conan. And Corden I guess even if he is a Brit his shownis US based). So much more fun.

Graham Norton is definitely the best late night talk show host, in my opinion. Nearly every time I watch the show and see the line up of Hollywood movie stars and some British comedian I think it's going to be proper awkward, but it always turns out to be great, and the actors and comedians usually have a good laugh together. Even two guys like Ryan Gosling and Greg Davies can end up pals!

Not so fussed on the Jonathan Ross show, though. Graham Norton Show >>>>>>> Jonathan Ross Show, for sure.

15 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I thought she was great in Terminator. The rest of the film though.... (Yeesh)

The first AvP movie sucked balls.  I mean PG 13? Be serious.   The second wasn't much better.

I saw BvS on opening weekend.  It was frustrating to watch and I agree with much of the criticism of it, but after a time it felt like people were just piling on.  Compare it to another highly anticipated disappointment: Prometheus.  Check the score on RT.  There is no possible fucking universe where Prometheus is a 7.3/10 and BvS is a 2.7/10.

However, the Ultimate cut of BvS, which did get a limited theatrical release, I think is fantastic (if a bit too long). The course correction they did for JL was a massive let down.  Say what you will about the other films in the DCU, they are ambitious.  JL just wasn't.

I liked Wonder Woman but I thought it was over-praised.  I mean, an oscar campaign?  Please.

Now a bit of a rant:  How the fuck did Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 not get an R rating?  That scene where Yondu kills all the mutineers was like the Red Wedding with a 70's top-40 soundtrack.  You see slow motion shots where the guy goes "Ak" while the arrow clearly bursts out of his chest or back with spurts of CGI blood and everything.   And then Rocket straight up starts shooting people.

Don't get me wrong; I thought it was a cool scene, but was I the only one who thought it was slightly inappropriate for a film with kids in the audience?

I thought MoS was the best Superman movie to date.  My wife and I just loved it.  BvS had its flaws, sure, but was no worse than Avengers 2.  I just wish they could have cut most or all of Batman's origin story, focused a little more tightly on the title (Batman vs Superman), and it would have been a much tighter narrative.  As it stands though, it still delivered for me, and Wonder Woman was the saving grace of the last 30 min or so.  WW was overhyped, and again the narrative was great until the last 30 min or so, but the first 3/4 were gold.  We loved Suicide Squad and never really understood the hate it received.  It's just fun and and kept at it through the entire movie.  I love JL mostly because of the Flash and Aquaman.  Those two characters really stood out for me.  I also liked seeing Batman old and pretty useless.  What irks me is why Superman needs the Justice League at all though, but I think that has more to do with the comics than the movie.  He's just ridiculously overpowered and doesn't really need the team at all.  I also would have liked to see more of Superman's torment like MoS and BvS and think they missed an opportunity there.  Overall though, I enjoyed it as much or more than Civil War.

And since you brought up GotG vol 2, I thought it was an extremely weak movie with very little character growth and retelling of the same jokes from Galaxy 1.  I think both of those are some of the weaker points in the Marvel cinematic universe.  I really don't like when they try to turn a superhero film into a comedy with a bit of action here and there.  It's why Iron Man was so successful IMO, it was a superhero movie sprinkled with some comedic elements, not the other way around.

8 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Trying to resist talking GoT here like I usually do...but here’s a really unpopular opinion (for this board at least) I love Emilia Clarke as Daenerys. She always nails the big iconic scenes, and is much better than she gets credit for. She’s had weak points (looking at you season 2!), and she’s obviously not in the same league as the more experienced heavyweights like Michelle Fairley, Sean Bean, Lena Headey, etc, but I completely disagree with those that feel she’s terrible. Does she have the most range in the world? Probably not. And that’s a fair criticism, but I just don’t get the OTT hate for her performance. Never have. 

I've always liked her. 

Whatever problems I have with the show, this scene will always be badass. I GASPED at my TV. 

8 hours ago, Yukle said:

To be fair to the show, they're just going with GRRM on this one. (I know I've heard him talk about this at cons, but here's him saying it in a comment on an old blog post.)

4 hours ago, JordanJH1993 said:

Graham Norton is definitely the best late night talk show host, in my opinion. Nearly every time I watch the show and see the line up of Hollywood movie stars and some British comedian I think it's going to be proper awkward, but it always turns out to be great, and the actors and comedians usually have a good laugh together. Even two guys like Ryan Gosling and Greg Davies can end up pals!

Not so fussed on the Jonathan Ross show, though. Graham Norton Show >>>>>>> Jonathan Ross Show, for sure.

Yeah Jonathan Ross is a yawn inducing bore of bores. Norton’s red chair thing always manages to crack me up.

potentially unpopular opinion - Kristen Wiig >>>>> Kate McKinnon

12 hours ago, Yukle said:

Sean Bean and Peter Dinklage, top notch. The blokes who play Varys and Petyr, likewise. And Stannis. And Melisandre.

Yeah, actually, plenty of the cast is plenty good! You take that back! :P 

Dinklage is awful!  That speech to fire up the defense of King's Landing -- what in hell accent or dialect was he attempting there?  It was -- emotionally and vocally risible.  So -- not takin' it back. :P 

Bean had hardly anything to do, except stand and be stoic and wise, so not counting him.

The others you mention are one-note, though I will maybe yield a bit on the actor who plays Melisandre.  But lordessa, Oona Chaplin -- that one can't act anytime in anything.

However!  I adored Natalie Dormer, and of course, Diana Rigg.  They were the best. :wub:

4 hours ago, aceluby said:

I thought MoS was the best Superman movie to date.  My wife and I just loved it.  BvS had its flaws, sure, but was no worse than Avengers 2.  I just wish they could have cut most or all of Batman's origin story, focused a little more tightly on the title (Batman vs Superman), and it would have been a much tighter narrative.  As it stands though, it still delivered for me, and Wonder Woman was the saving grace of the last 30 min or so.  WW was overhyped, and again the narrative was great until the last 30 min or so, but the first 3/4 were gold.  We loved Suicide Squad and never really understood the hate it received.  It's just fun and and kept at it through the entire movie.  I love JL mostly because of the Flash and Aquaman.  Those two characters really stood out for me.  I also liked seeing Batman old and pretty useless.  What irks me is why Superman needs the Justice League at all though, but I think that has more to do with the comics than the movie.  He's just ridiculously overpowered and doesn't really need the team at all.  I also would have liked to see more of Superman's torment like MoS and BvS and think they missed an opportunity there.  Overall though, I enjoyed it as much or more than Civil War.

And since you brought up GotG vol 2, I thought it was an extremely weak movie with very little character growth and retelling of the same jokes from Galaxy 1.  I think both of those are some of the weaker points in the Marvel cinematic universe.  I really don't like when they try to turn a superhero film into a comedy with a bit of action here and there.  It's why Iron Man was so successful IMO, it was a superhero movie sprinkled with some comedic elements, not the other way around.

The theatrical cut of BvS probably was worse than Avengers 2.  It felt like there were big chunks missing and that made it frustrating to watch.  The Ultimate cut is great.

People who bash MoS as not being faithful to their version of superman need to be reminded "They tried that, and nobody went."  Bryan singer (no slouch) literally made a film that was a direct descendant of the mythical, original Two Donner films and it didn't do well.  Incidentally, the Donner films really weren't that great unless you were the right age when they came out, which I was.  I loved them.  I've seen them numerous times. Now, nope.

Suicide squad was ruined in the editing -or- they relied on the editing process too much to construct the film and botched it.  There's some information out there on this.  What ended up in theaters was a Frankenstein of multiple cuts and re-shoots.  There are lots of great bits there, but it just doesn't hang together very well.

GotG 2 was visually very cool with some funny scenes but ultimately it just wasn't interesting.  Yondu's "You're just like me" monologue was truly groan-inducing and pointless. Sylvester Stallone cameo? Who gives a shit.  The final 20 minutes was just non-stop eye-molestation.  What was happening? No idea. Looked cool though.

And, why did Yondu have to die again?  That seemed really weird and forced.  They establish early on that their "space suits" are basically the size of a chocolate chip cookie.  Why is it that they all don't have two or three of them clipped to their belt or stashed in a pouch or something.  You know; because they operate in space.

Oh, yeah, "spoiler warning".

3 hours ago, Zorral said:

The others you mention are one-note, though I will maybe yield a bit on the actor who plays Melisandre.  But lordessa, Oona Chaplin -- that one can't act anytime in anything.

One might say that her acting is taboo. :P

6 minutes ago, Prince of the North said:

Yep.  Oh, and that just reminded me of a quite possibly unpopular opinion that I hold: I actually really like Taboo!

Except for Oona Chaplin, I really like Taboo too!  :cheers:

6 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Except for Oona Chaplin, I really like Taboo too!  :cheers:

Definitely agreed.  Although I feel I should qualify that a bit and say that I'm not sure Chaplin was given all that much to do/be in either Taboo or GoT.  Maybe she'd do better with more...substantial roles?:dunno:

I hear you, yet I've never seen her in anything in which she did do anything, including that episode of Sherlock and Crimson Fields.  But then, looking at her filmography she seldom is in anything that I'd watch, so what do I know?

5 hours ago, Zorral said:

Dinklage is awful!  That speech to fire up the defense of King's Landing -- what in hell accent or dialect was he attempting there?  It was -- emotionally and vocally risible.  So -- not takin' it back. :P 

Bean had hardly anything to do, except stand and be stoic and wise, so not counting him.

However!  I adored Natalie Dormer, and of course, Diana Rigg.  They were the best. :wub:

What do you think of the girl who plays Lyanna Mormont, who is literally the best character in the entire series even though she's, like, 10 years old?!

That's a shoe-in, not acting.  You know the ancient adage of the theater, never let a child or a dog onstage unless you want to be upstaged.

(Nor did I believe in this character for a second.)

7 hours ago, Mr. X said:

To be fair to the show, they're just going with GRRM on this one. (I know I've heard him talk about this at cons, but here's him saying it in a comment on an old blog post.)

Hey cool, thanks for that! :)

"Now, there are no actual dragons, to be sure. But there are bats, and there are birds, and once upon a time there were pterodactyls. Those are the models to use when designing a dragon. No beast in nature has four legs AND wings."

Come on, GRRM! No creature breathes fire, either! :P Hail the six-limb dragons! :D 

1 hour ago, Yukle said:

Hey cool, thanks for that! :)

"Now, there are no actual dragons, to be sure. But there are bats, and there are birds, and once upon a time there were pterodactyls. Those are the models to use when designing a dragon. No beast in nature has four legs AND wings."

Come on, GRRM! No creature breathes fire, either! :P Hail the six-limb dragons! :D 

Critically, 4 limbs are easier (cheaper) to animate than six.

Archived