Unpopular opinions

Mosi Mynn

On 10/1/2018 at 3:16 PM, Rippounet said:

Breaking Bad is really fucking slow at times.

It's an amazing show. The actors are fantastic, the photography mind-blowing, the narrative structure is original at times, the premise is funny, there's a lot of depth, social criticism... etc. There's everything in there, and it's one of the best shows I've ever watched, quality-wise.

But it can really be fucking slow, and I've only just finished season 2 (yeah, it's taken me that long).

I'll take that one and raise it that the only likeable character in the series was Badger, and maybe the baby a the end.  The rest of them would have been OK in a hot tub with the acid from Season One.  

Also, in the first season of Jessica Jones, I was rooting for the sprinkler pipe in the bar.  That show made me want to turn nihilist.

1 hour ago, hauberk said:

I'll take that one and raise it that the only likeable character in the series was Badger, and maybe the baby a the end.  The rest of them would have been OK in a hot tub with the acid from Season One.  

I’ll never understand people’s need for “likable” characters. Isn’t interesting characters all that really matters? 

With that said, wasn’t Hank pretty likable? 

26 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

Hank was an asshole imo but yeah a lot of my favorite shit doesn’t have likable characters. 

Well, so was Mike and he was a fan favorite lol

i meant more that Hank was a good person relatively speaking to most of the other characters. 

1 hour ago, Nictarion said:

I’ll never understand people’s need for “likable” characters. Isn’t interesting characters all that really matters? 

Stephen R Donaldson is one of my favorite authors, so likable isn't really a requirement.  So, poor word choice for me.  I was utterly fascinated with the desperation and places that it took Walt early in the series.  I watched it all the way through, largely to try to figure out from where the love for it was coming.

Hank lost me with his big-man on campus blowhard attitude in S1.  The cliched panic attacks did nothing to redeem him.  

I always understood Hank as the posterboy for everyday toxic masculinity, but since I haven't even watched half the show yet I may be wrong.

Anyway, there are lots of moments in the first two seasons where Hank obviously struggles to look tough and act manly. It's funny because one of his worst failures saves his life (with Tortuga) and compared to Walter himself he ends up looking reasonable (see the incident by the pool).

8 hours ago, Nictarion said:

7 hours ago, Dragon in the North said:

Some people prefer characters that they can relate to. Likability plays a big part of that.

I haven't seen Breaking Bad (shocker, I know!), but my opinion on this in general is: "likability" is a very subjective thing. (e.g. There are people who claim that, say, show Daenerys is supposedly more "likable" than book Daenerys, and I want to throw something on screen when I see Deadpan Stormborn, while I love book Daenerys.) 

"Relatability" is also a subjective thing. Different people relate to different characteristics. If you do a good job making your character fleshed out and human enough, chances are someone is going to like them or relate to them in some way or another.

One example is Wuthering Heights - the novel, not any of the countless terrible and wildly unfaithful adaptations. Everyone always keeps saying how terrible Heathcliff and Cathy are as people, and that they don't like them, even though it's a great novel. Well, guess what - they are both terrible people, and I've always absolutely loved them! I find them much more lovable than any of the supposedly nice characters (who mostly aren't that super nice anyway - the only exception is Hareton, and maybe Cathy 2.0). Especially with how racist and classist most of the 'good' characters are (which you wouldn't know from most adaptations, where Heathcliff is a white dude with a tan, but that's a different story). And I suspect that's exactly how Emily Bronte wanted it to be, which is why she had Unreliable Narrators and other characters in the story constantly going on about how terrible those two are as people.

I guess that's one of my unpopular opinion - I love book!Heathcliff and book!Cathy, awful people that they are (especially adult!Heathcliff). Especially since they're mostly awful because the society and environment they lived in made them that way.

The thing is that the characters in Wuthering Heights are interesting -- at least to degree, at least when one encounters them first, when young. 

None of the characters in Breaking Bad are the least bit interesting, just predictable ultimate losers going up, going down, going up, going down.  I never finished watching the second season.  Have had no interest in Better Call Saul either.  I watched the first couple episodes and was bored silly.  Couldn't keep either eyes nor mind on the screen.  TV and movies are so predictable now and worse are even reboots of what bored me to death when they were new.  Watching less and less, just like I hardly ever read sf/f any longer either, for all the same reasons.

7 hours ago, Annara Snow said:

I guess that's one of my unpopular opinion - I love book!Heathcliff and book!Cathy, awful people that they are (especially adult!Heathcliff). Especially since they're mostly awful because the society and environment they lived in made them that way.

My unpopular opinion is that Wuthering Heights is a better reading experience than Jane Eyre. The latter is more polished, but its tones and colors are muted because of it.

On 10/3/2018 at 2:45 AM, Nictarion said:

Hank from Breaking Bad, ugh,no, I didn’t like him at all, the only good bits with him were his back and forths with Saul and what happened to him in the end, that’s how much I didn’t like him.

In fact, another unpopular opinion here, I really didn’t like Breaking Bad that much, I don’t know how it garners quite as much critical acclaim as it does, give me The Wire or Deadwood over it any day of the week.

20 minutes ago, Lord Sidious said:

Hank from Breaking Bad, ugh,no, I didn’t like him at all, the only good bits with him were his back and forths with Saul and what happened to him in the end, that’s how much I didn’t like him.

In fact, another unpopular opinion here, I really didn’t like Breaking Bad that much, I don’t know how it garners quite as much critical acclaim as it does, give me The Wire or Deadwood over it any day of the week.

For me the genius of Breaking Bad is that it approaches the depth of The Wire (only approaches, I put The Wire at number one) while being a much more conventionally entertaining tv show. While I know The Wire isn't for everyone, it's hard to imagine how someone couldn't find Breaking Bad entertaining. The Wire never got outstanding viewing figures- Sopranos did, but only by tricking a lot of people who thought it was a "proper" mobster show and were always annoyed at why we spent hours and hours with AJ and Meadow. 

2 hours ago, Lord Sidious said:

I also don’t like BB. Tried it multiple times and can’t seem to get interested. Joins mad men and black sails in the list of well liked shows I’ve given up on

On 10/3/2018 at 3:07 PM, Zorral said:

The thing is that the characters in Wuthering Heights are interesting -- at least to degree, at least when one encounters them first, when young. 

None of the characters in Breaking Bad are the least bit interesting, just predictable ultimate losers going up, going down, going up, going down.  I never finished watching the second season.  Have had no interest in Better Call Saul either.  I watched the first couple episodes and was bored silly.  Couldn't keep either eyes nor mind on the screen.  TV and movies are so predictable now and worse are even reboots of what bored me to death when they were new.  Watching less and less, just like I hardly ever read sf/f any longer either, for all the same reasons.

Gus and Mike are most certainly interesting but I guess you never really met them...

Not sure why you'd watch BCS without watching the end of BB. 

49 minutes ago, Aemon Stark said:

Gus and Mike are most certainly interesting but I guess you never really met them...

Not sure why you'd watch BCS without watching the end of BB. 

Because friends said they were sure I'd like it and I didn't need to have watched BB. They hadn't.

On 10/4/2018 at 11:09 PM, HelenaExMachina said:

I also don’t like BB. Tried it multiple times and can’t seem to get interested. Joins mad men and black sails in the list of well liked shows I’ve given up on

Ugh Mad Men, I had forgotten how much I hated that show, I couldn’t make it past the first season, just hated all the characters, most of them sexist, annoying assholes, the worst being the one played by the same actor who played Angels son in Angel, he was a whiny little brat in that and he was even more of a whiny pathetic brat in Mad Men, perhaps the poor guy is just typecast!.

53 minutes ago, Lord Sidious said:

Ugh Mad Men, I had forgotten how much I hated that show, I couldn’t make it past the first season, just hated all the characters, most of them sexist, annoying assholes, the worst being the one played by the same actor who played Angels son in Angel, he was a whiny little brat in that and he was even more of a whiny pathetic brat in Mad Men, perhaps the poor guy is just typecast!.

I think he is as by all accounts he's a really decent guy in real life. His character becomes more sympathetic in season 2. I think I hated him so much in Angel that I didn't give him much chance when I first saw him in mad men.

Archived