Arby's Twitter features "GrimDark" author

Rhom

I am unfamiliar with Sam Sykes... and I don't recall seeing him mentioned on this forum (which I naturally consider to be the be all end all of resources for GrimDark authors).  Looking over things, it appears that he has a self professed obsession with Elf make out sessions in his books?  What's the word on this guy and why is he popular enough to get a mention from Arbys?

(As an aside... if you don't follow Arbys on Twitter, you really should.)

I think Arby's just like the tweet, so the mention was only following that.

Sykes is pretty good, though I have only read a couple of his books.  He is funny, embraces the DnD influence without pandering to it, and does well in juggling a large cast.  He writes some of the more entertaining dialog in the genre; I recall his first book having two characters arguing about what makes something ironic whilst in the middle of a battle in a very entertaining way..

Honestly I think I just forgot about his current series or I would have continued on with it.  I think I will check the library tonight.

He is also one of the better authors to follow on twitter as he and a small group of fantasy authors humorously taunt each other regularly.

I started the City Stained Red a while ago. I must confess that while what I read isn't bad, the DnD campaign chronicles feeling it gave never sparked my interest and so I left the book in the limbo of the tbr pile bottom.

Now the guy's twitter is certainly more entertaining.

8 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Yeah, his continuous baiting of Myke Cole is relentlessly funny.

I saw one Tweet of him twerking on Cole while Cole tried to ignore it.

17 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Why does the board hate Cole suddenly? Did he steal someones wife?

Harnessing people on twitter no matter what the reason is never cool.

Dude, you misunderstand me. Myke and Sam are big mates. The baiting is very good natured, verging on performance art. 

Also, Cole's served his time and is no longer on my shitlist. That Armoured Saint thingy is really quite good. :D

10 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Dude, you misunderstand me. Myke and Sam are big mates. The baiting is very good natured, verging on performance art. 

Also, Cole's served his time and is no longer on my shitlist. That Armoured Saint thingy is really quite good. :D

Ahh that makes more sense. I'm just super sensitive to online harassment with all the shit happening lately. :/

Carry on!

56 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

45 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Ahh that makes more sense. I'm just super sensitive to online harassment with all the shit happening lately. :/

Carry on!

Like this.  I don't recognize Cole without the beard though...

@Spockydog I also liked Armored Saint.  I haven't been able to find anything about the follow up though.  I thought it was funny while reading Cole's Wikipedia entry that it included a section on "short fiction."  My internal monologue immediately thought "Wasn't Armored Saint short fiction????"  :lol: 

My wife and I tried his first book, Tome of the Undergates, and both abandoned it early on. It was very poorly written and just ... childish. I suspect his mom got him that publishing deal.

That was 7 years ago though and he may well have improved. He certainly is funny on twitter.

Archived