The Americans: The Final Season (Spoilers) pt. 4

Fragile Bird

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

I started the first thread, I may as well start what is likely to be the last thread.  :D

I have also not yet started watching this season, but I have them all recorded. I'll jump in soon!

Hello dear friend! :grouphug:

Start watching, I just realised this series will be shorter, only 10 episodes! 

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

I started the first thread, I may as well start what is likely to be the last thread.  :D

I have also not yet started watching this season, but I have them all recorded. I'll jump in soon!

Jealous of that. Will be a very nice binge watch. 

So, I'm trying to remember. Did we leave Martha just sort of hanging out in the Soviet Union? She was getting ready to possibly adopt a baby, right? Was that the last thing we saw from her?

I'm really hoping we check in on her (even if it's brief) before things wrap up.

2 minutes ago, MisterOJ said:

So, I'm trying to remember. Did we leave Martha just sort of hanging out in the Soviet Union? She was getting ready to possibly adopt a baby, right? Was that the last thing we saw from her?

I'm really hoping we check in on her (even if it's brief) before things wrap up.

I was thinking about her as well... And yes, as far as I can remember that's exactly when we saw her last. 

I also hope we get at least a glimpse into what's going on w/ her. And I do hope she adopted the baby and was able to find some measure of happiness. :(

I'll be surprised if we  don't get at least one more Martha and Gabriel scene before it ends. I was also hoping to see Tuan again after the time jump and see if he took Elizabeth's advice but with three episodes left that seems unlikely. 

The final three episodes will be tense. I sincerely hope The Americans will go down just like Breaking Bad, providing the best for last. Because they have a lot to cover, not just revelation of who they are, the couple's dynamic has to be addressed, dealings with Stan, then of course, Henry's and Paige's future, reaction of SSSR, Gabriel and Claudia, Martha... I believe Episode 9 with truly interesting name will do wonders... Less than 3 weeks. Jesus... On that note...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CloA0LWwuP4

3 minutes ago, Risto said:

The final three episodes will be tense. I sincerely hope The Americans will go down just like Breaking Bad, providing the best for last. Because they have a lot to cover, not just revelation of who they are, the couple's dynamic has to be addressed, dealings with Stan, then of course, Henry's and Paige's future, reaction of SSSR, Gabriel and Claudia, Martha... I believe Episode 9 with truly interesting name will do wonders... Less than 3 weeks. Jesus... On that note...

I just saw that! "Jennings, Elizabeth", made the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end. 

Just now, kissdbyfire said:

I just saw that! "Jennings, Elizabeth", made the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end. 

It's chilly... I think that in that episode hell will break loose and I expect one hell of an episode. I think that Elizabeth may be more vulnerable than Phillip, but that he will finally understand where his loyalties lie - not with SSSR, or USA, but with her. I don't expect him to do "knight in white armor" kind of stunt, but I do think he will turn tables on everyone and once joined, they will be unstoppable. :D

7 minutes ago, Risto said:

It's chilly... I think that in that episode hell will break loose and I expect one hell of an episode. I think that Elizabeth may be more vulnerable than Phillip, but that he will finally understand where his loyalties lie - not with SSSR, or USA, but with her. I don't expect him to do "knight in white armor" kind of stunt, but I do think he will turn tables on everyone and once joined, they will be unstoppable. :D

I was thinking along these lines but thought it was just my wishful thinking getting the better of me. But you're thinking the same, so maybe it's not just wishful thinking! 

What an episode for Elizabeth. Couple of her decisions last night could’ve went either way which made for a tense episode. The opening with her and Phillip and the scene where she gets Claudia to tell her everything concerning Gorbachev were both amazing. 

Elizabeth dumping the meeting with the priest onto Phillip :O not good since the Feds are onto the priests. 

I keep saying "best episode of the season". First episode 5, then 7, then this one.

I never thought Elizabeth was such a robot as some of the fandom pronounced her to be this season, and that she will do some major rethinking of everything once she realizes that the Center was going against the actual USSR leadership. But I didn't expect her to make the decision so quickly. I also wouldn't have guessed she would let Jackson go a couple of episodes ago - but this was indeed character development. Philip's words got to her - but I like the fact that she's still angry at him for keeping things from her, instead of trusting her with it all.

So, in my rewatch, the latest episode I've rewatched is 2.05 The Deal - one of my favorites. It's the one with the Mossad agent, and the deal the USSR makes with Israel for Baklanov; it also has the first meeting between Oleg and Stan, and that almost surreal scene where Elizabeth goes to talk to Martha as "Jennifer", Clark's sister (how many times have Philip and Elizabeth pretended to be siblings? I remember also season 4 where he, Gabriel and some other KGB agent pretended to be her family when they confronted Yung Hee's husband) and Martha is a bit drunk and starts praising Philip's sexual prowess, making Elizabeth both upset/jealous and curious). In that episode, Sandra is drawing - apparently a part of her self-enlightenment phase that included EST - and she tells Stan that "Drawing helps you retrieve a part of your soul that you've lost".

On 5/16/2018 at 12:04 AM, Risto said:

I think Martha's story is done. We know that she lives is USSR and has probably adopted that little girl. There's no particular need to revisit her, especially with so many other things that are actually unresolved.

So, we have Keri Russel's Emmy tape... That was powerful.

It was masterfully narrated. First, that Phillip's soliloquy about making decisions was just one wake-up call for, if not robotic, but certainly mechanical Elizabeth we have seen this season. Then another murder. Another nail to the coffin. Burning the picture she chose. Understanding the sacrifices that must be taken. Moving with the intern and getting to breakpoint where she finally does the right thing. And then, the truth. And boy, was it hurtful. 

Like Phillip said at the beginning, they believed in something greater than themselves. They dedicated their lives to protecting their country, they served it with everything they had, not even their children being completely their own. And after years of loyal service, one day you wake up and you understand that this is not about your country and its safety. This is about politics. And that is the tango Elizabeth never agreed to play. Elizabeth "woke up" not because it was too much, or too intense, but because they used her for a fight she never committed herself to. She looked in Claudia's eyes, and understood that her country needs protection. From herself. And she pulled back. It is such a powerful journey, such emotional road. And Russel made this episode amazing, through and through.

2 more episodes to go before the curtain call. I can't wait to see how this'll resolve. 

Didn’t disappoint. So many great scenes. Philip and Olegs chat in the cell and Elizabeth and Paige’s confrontation were both incredible. 

Father Andrei is a bit of a dunce huh? My heart was racing when Philip was running away from that meeting. 

After all these years, finally seeing shit hit the fan and Elizabeth gathering up that go bag. Wow can’t wait for next week. 

And, finally, the hell breaks loose. Words can't be used to describe how I feel about this show ending next week. I hope it'll be glorious. Hell with hope. I know. :D

The second he started running, I knew it is over. The next episode's title reminds me of Tower of Joy smackdown and begin/end replies. Both of these amazing actors deserve every praise and the last three episode Keri Russel was really putting her best foot forward. Unfortunately, this show will be criminally undervalued during Award season, which is sad, because they truly deserved much more recognition than they got throughout these 6 years.

When she took those rings, that was that. Mission is over. Now, they have to save their family. And that will be one hell of a task.

I am genuinely sad and excited that this has come to the end. 

1 hour ago, Risto said:

And, finally, the hell breaks loose. Words can't be used to describe how I feel about this show ending next week. I hope it'll be glorious. Hell with hope. I know. :D

The second he started running, I knew it is over. The next episode's title reminds me of Tower of Joy smackdown and begin/end replies. Both of these amazing actors deserve every praise and the last three episode Keri Russel was really putting her best foot forward. Unfortunately, this show will be criminally undervalued during Award season, which is sad, because they truly deserved much more recognition than they got throughout these 6 years.

When she took those rings, that was that. Mission is over. Now, they have to save their family. And that will be one hell of a task.

I am genuinely sad and excited that this has come to the end. 

Thing is, the FBI still has no actual evidence on them, unless someone starts talking. I don't think Father Victor knows that much and he certainly hasn't told them anything about Philip or Elizabeth, just bad mouthed Father Andrei. 

2 minutes ago, Annara Snow said:

Thing is, the FBI still has no actual evidence on them, unless someone starts talking. I don't think Father Victor knows that much and he certainly hasn't told them anything about Philip or Elizabeth, just bad mouthed Father Andrei. 

I don't see Father Andrei catching his flight, he can't sprint away like Philip while wearing that cassock, so the FBI will certainly be talking to him.   He knows they are Russian agents, even if he may not know specifics on what they've been up to for the past 20 years.   Just don't know if he will refuse to talk.

Archived