The Americans: The Final Season (Spoilers) pt. 4

Fragile Bird

39 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

i’ll rewatch the show in its entirety soon I think, to properly appreciate it. Quick question though - did we ever get furth follow up on Kimmy after Philip essentially spilled the bean soup to her.

Nope. I doubt she ever told her dad about it. That would be a very awkward and horrible conversation. 

2 hours ago, RumHam said:

Nope. I doubt she ever told her dad about it. That would be a very awkward and horrible conversation. 

And hopefully she wasn't simply kidnapped while in Greece. Far more likely she was just seduced again as it worked once.

14 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

I wonder if Phillip will ever meet his Russian son now that he’s back. That was one storyline they kinda abandoneded that interested me. 

Yeah, that storyline was quite weird. They dedicated a fair amount of time building it up only for it to wind up an odd anticlimax where he went back home without ever meeting his dad. That and season 2-3 Nina were the weaker parts of the show. I weirdly enjoyed "Oleg food store corruption detective"

One interesting aspect of the finale was Rene. I know we will all be divided about this, but can we just make a break and say what an amazing job the actress did in the last episode. It was only one scene and yet it was all she needed. The way she looked at Jennings' house, the way she turned, her hands in her purple coat and moved back to the house. It was perfectly leveled, not for a second giving anyone "aha, she is the spy" vibe, but also not being pure "innocent blondie" character. One has to admire that achievement as it would be easy to sway one way or another. She walked on the edge of the knife and she did it marvelously. She deserved every applause for doing what she's supposed to do. Make us forever doubt her.

9 minutes ago, Risto said:

One interesting aspect of the finale was Rene. I know we will all be divided about this, but can we just make a break and say what an amazing job the actress did in the last episode. It was only one scene and yet it was all she needed. The way she looked at Jennings' house, the way she turned, her hands in her purple coat and moved back to the house. It was perfectly leveled, not for a second giving anyone "aha, she is the spy" vibe, but also not being pure "innocent blondie" character. One has to admire that achievement as it would be easy to sway one way or another. She walked on the edge of the knife and she did it marvelously. She deserved every applause for doing what she's supposed to do. Make us forever doubt her.

I think she was a spy but her job was to watch Philip and Elizabeth, not Stan. He just happened to be close to them. 

The Vulture has a rundown of potential evidence for Renee being a spy. A lot of it is basically pretty much leaving it up to the air. But then a commentator on Twitter, replying to a NY Mag guy who had retweeted it, pointed out that at one point Renee noted (I think at the dinner party the article covers) that she's a graduate of "the University of Indiana." But it's actually called Indiana University. Could be a mistake on the part of the writers... or could be a pretty clever, subtle tell that she made a small mistake when repeating her cover story, something that not that many people would notice.

So, I'm inclined to think that she was a spy, although like Philip I suspect her primary aim was to keep an eye on the Jennings, with infiltrating the FBI as a secondary thing.

The thing about Renee is, she didn't really get that much screentime so it's impossible for the audience to gauge.  Just the fact that Philip, whose presumably met and talked to her countless times off-screen, felt the need to say that to Stan on top of everything else they were discussing puts me firmly in the camp of her being a spy. Seemed to me like Philip knew but didn't have any concrete proof.

5 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

I think she was a spy but her job was to watch Philip and Elizabeth, not Stan. He just happened to be close to them. 

My thought as well...something I noted above...

If there was ever a follow up on the show, set a few years down the road, would she be with Stan still? That would be an interesting tell...

21 hours ago, Ran said:

The Vulture has a rundown of potential evidence for Renee being a spy. A lot of it is basically pretty much leaving it up to the air. But then a commentator on Twitter, replying to a NY Mag guy who had retweeted it, pointed out that at one point Renee noted (I think at the dinner party the article covers) that she's a graduate of "the University of Indiana." But it's actually called Indiana University. Could be a mistake on the part of the writers... or could be a pretty clever, subtle tell that she made a small mistake when repeating her cover story, something that not that many people would notice.

So, I'm inclined to think that she was a spy, although like Philip I suspect her primary aim was to keep an eye on the Jennings, with infiltrating the FBI as a secondary thing.

Well, if she was supposed to keep an eye on the Jenningses, she did a crappy job of it  In fact, she doesn't seem to have done anything at all.

For that very reason, I don't believe she is KGB. But I like the idea that she's some kind of spy and has some kind of an agenda, just not KGB.

4 hours ago, Annara Snow said:

Well, if she was supposed to keep an eye on the Jenningses, she did a crappy job of it  In fact, she doesn't seem to have done anything at all.

For that very reason, I don't believe she is KGB. But I like the idea that she's some kind of spy and has some kind of an agenda, just not KGB.

I always felt she was working for a non-russian agency if she was indeed a spy. I kept thinking scandinavian because of the blonde hair and the fact they had a swedish spy/contact earlier in the show? Wasn't that the one who wound up dead and they had to stuff her in a body bag in an earlier season? My memory is hazy though.

What I liked about the ambiguity of her being a spy was the fact that Stan could have taken Phillip's final words as more of a cruel mind-fuck than one of genuine concern. If she was completely innocent that's a horrible bit of doubt to lay on Stan.

7 hours ago, Annara Snow said:

Why do you say that?  If she's just watching them and reporting in, what more would she need to do?  If she was spy, she wasn't the type going out in the field...

That its ambiguous, that's what's interesting...

5 hours ago, red snow said:

I always felt she was working for a non-russian agency if she was indeed a spy. I kept thinking scandinavian because of the blonde hair and the fact they had a swedish spy/contact earlier in the show? Wasn't that the one who wound up dead and they had to stuff her in a body bag in an earlier season? My memory is hazy though.

What I liked about the ambiguity of her being a spy was the fact that Stan could have taken Phillip's final words as more of a cruel mind-fuck than one of genuine concern. If she was completely innocent that's a horrible bit of doubt to lay on Stan.

That was Annalise, the wife of a state department official. She wasn't a Sweedish agent, but Phillip had convinced her that he was. 

2 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Why do you say that?  If she's just watching them and reporting in, what more would she need to do?  If she was spy, she wasn't the type going out in the field...

That its ambiguous, that's what's interesting...

Watching them to report what? Their handlers already knew as much about them as possible. Gabriel knew about them more than Renee could ever possibly find out, especially since they were telling him everything anyway. And later Claudia could have just asked Paige.

4 hours ago, RumHam said:

That was Annalise, the wife of a state department official. She wasn't a Sweedish agent, but Phillip had convinced her that he was. 

Lol. The unreliable narrator of memory!

7 hours ago, Annara Snow said:

Watching them to report what? Their handlers already knew as much about them as possible. Gabriel knew about them more than Renee could ever possibly find out, especially since they were telling him everything anyway. And later Claudia could have just asked Paige.

Who knows how spies work?  She could have been watching and working as insurance against Phillip after he retired...

Great finale! It was probably my third favorite finale after Breaking Bad and The Shield. The garage and train scenes were the definite highlights. I almost wish that Paige was arrested, as it would have provided closure to her story, but I suppose that would have made the ending more bitter than sweet. I do wish that the scene between Henry and Stan had played out, though.

3 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

With or without you is still stuck in my head

Tell me about it... And the moment Bono starts with that "o--oh--", my heart breaks down. I doubt I will ever listen to this song without thinking of Elizabeth and Phillip.

On 6/6/2018 at 1:45 AM, Winterfell is Burning said:

"Is Renee a spy?" is the new "Was Tony murdered in the end of Sopranos?"

Couldn't have said better.

Rewatching the garage scene, one has to give to Matthew Rhys and how he, even in the moment of his greatest honesty, he still lies. I wonder how Stan will feel when/if he ever realizes the extent of their work. 

5 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

With or without you is still stuck in my head

Added it to my current Spotify playlist ;) Keep ‘replaying’ the scene where Elizabeth sees that Paige got off the train in my mind when I listen to it

Archived