Nightflyers (Syfy)

Holy Sith!

This seems to have some credibility coming in, based on its history in print and film -- not to mention the GRRM factor. It also looks as if Syfy has added depth to its pockets with financial support from Netflix and Ireland, which may enable Syfy to make a more solid commitment to the series. (R.I.P. The Expanse)

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/nightflyers-watch-trailer-syfys-george-rr-martin-space-drama-1095904

The series is supposed to start this fall. I couldn't find a premiere date

They'll certainly have to expand the story to make a full season of a TV series out of it. Already we see the synopsis mentioning stuff about telepaths being feared and oppressed and even put in internment camps, which is entirely the invention for the show.

I'm not too optimistic with what I know so far. The fact that they changed Alys - the female engineer with bad hygiene and poor people skills (better with machines than people) into a guy (because, of course, they think the audience can more easily stomach such a character if it's male) doesn't bode well. Neither does the fact that the promos are focusing on Agatha (Gretchen Mol) and Karl - Karoly from the novella (Eion Macken) instead of the actual main characters, Melantha and Roy (Royd). Of course, the former are played by rather popular white actors, while the latter two are played by black actors (and Karl/Karoly has, of course, been significantly de-aged, to fit into the male hero role better). It's sad that GRRM had to praise them for even casting a black actress as Melantha - after the character has been whitewashed on book covers and in the 1980s adaptation - because it shows how low his expectations were. I'm starting to think they will now downplay her role (and Roy(d)'s, since they cast a black actor, even though his ethnicity is not specified) so maybe the joy was premature, and expectations should still be low.

What does it say that GRRM's 1980 novella is still too progressive and off-beat in terms of its treatment of gender (and to an extent, race) that TV adaptations have to make it more palatable to the audience this way? Nothing good about current TV. (And yeah, there's also the fact that they've anglicized all the weird names from the novella. Because of course people in the far future will all have 21st century English names..)

Sorry for being too negative, but GoT has taught me too be cautious and suspicious of adaptations of Martin's works. Then they can only, hopefully, surprise me pleasantly.

• 5 months later...

I really like Gretchen Mol, though I've a feeling she's not going to survive the season... just a hunch. ;) Anyways, I'll give it a try, but I have to admit SyFy's release plan makes me a bit worried. If they're burning through it, is it just a marketing thing... or is it because it's bad and they just want done with it ASAP?

• 1 month later...

Out of a mix of boredom and curiosity, I watched the premiere last night. I haven't read the novella, but with this being a full show, no need to expect a faithful adaptation.

I can't say that I'm that impressed, but considering the cancellation of The Expanse, this is probably within the limit of what SyFy can do. After the first episode, the story is a fair jumbled mess, though luckily the main characters each had a bit of introduction. Considering SyFy's move to release an episode per day, rather than per week, it motivates me just enough to keep watching.

• 2 weeks later...

Risky to end it on such a cliffhanger. This is SyFy, show could be easily cancelled.

This show fluctuated between the intriguing and the absurd. Not bad overall, but I honestly didn't feel that attached to the characters, and cared more for the alien mystery.

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/14/2018 at 5:42 AM, Corvinus said:

This show fluctuated between the intriguing and the absurd. Not bad overall, but I honestly didn't feel that attached to the characters, and cared more for the alien mystery.

Same here. I still enjoyed it though. Once I accepted what genre the show really belonged to (i.e. gory/dark sci-fi) I found it pleasant and well-written. Martin's characters have more depth than the usual kind, and the overall intrigue is stimulating, if only because it's about the nature of first contact (much like several movies I've seen recently, like Arrival and Annihilation).

I'd started Origin at the same time - with a comparable premise. Only watched the first episode in the end, because I found it to be more predictable and/or less engaging than Nightflyers. For that alone, I'd give Nightflyers a solid 7/10.

On 12/14/2018 at 5:42 AM, Corvinus said:

Risky to end it on such a cliffhanger.

I dunno if it's such a cliffhanger.

It's easy to assume they all die, it's a Martin story after all :D. If anything, I'd find it better if the cliffhanger was *not* resolved because them surviving would stretch whatever suspension of disbelief I have left. In other words, I'm fine with this ending, because it's kinda credible -for the story- without suffering the heartbreak of actually seeing everyone die.

Archived