Wheel of Time Discussion (Spoilers)

Loge

6 hours ago, Werthead said:

I suspect any kind of channelling around the Choedan Kal without knowing what you were doing would be an extraordinarily bad idea: there's a reason you need the access keys. Maybe you could destroy them through the keys (Rand does destroy the male statue, if inadvertently). There's a good reason that the Forsaken didn't do this in the Age of Legends, given the proscription even the Shadow had on balefire at the time. The Choedan Kal probably have enough power to unravel the Wheel altogether if you balefired them.

There's also the fact that the Shadow could do with the Choedan Kal themselves for their own purposes, so capturing them would be more preferable.

He destroys the female one too I think, though again by accident. Doesn't it melt when its access key melts?

I did find it strange the female key melted from overuse, when it was made clear the amount of Saidar channeled was tiny compared to the amount of Saidin used.

Osan'gar tried to balefire Rand but was thwarted by Elza Penfell with Callandor. The Choeden Kal themselves may have been to big and powerful to be destroyed by a single channeller. Or they were just protected by plot armor. Anyway, weren't the forsaken under direct order from Moridin to go after Rand the moment he started to cleanse the source?

The female Choeden Kal melted during the cleansing of saidin, which led to the mass suicide of the inhabitants of Tremalking. As for why it melted, that's pretty obvious: because the plot requires it. It's way too powerful a device to let it lie around unused, so if RJ didn't want to use it again it had to be destroyed or lost somehow.

Rand destroyed the male Choedan Kal on purpose. He came close to destroying the Pattern with it, reintegrated with Lews Therin, and decided the CK represented too much power, and destroyed it.

As for the female CK, there's a possible explanation: it was being used to create a tube of saidar through which all of saidin and the taint flowed. Could be that that was incredibly stressful on the sa'angreal to sustain such a weave for so long. The male CK was used to form no weave, just to channel saidin through the tube.

But the plot reason is the obvious one, of course. Together, those two would present a tempting alternative to attempting to reseal the Dark One.

• 2 months later...

Just finished book 11 of my reread, and I've just discovered something terrible.  My younger brother is visiting, and he's listening to the audio books. If the women on the tape is correct, apparently I've been pronouncing pretty much every single name in the series wrong for at least 15 years. 

4 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Just finished book 11 of my reread, and I've just discovered something terrible.  My younger brother is visiting, and he's listening to the audio books. If the women on the tape is correct, apparently I've been pronouncing pretty much every single name in the series wrong for at least 15 years. 

Ha, I know that feeling.

5 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Spoken like a true Kaniggit. ;) 

45 minutes ago, Myrddin said:

Spoken like The True Kaniggit. ;) 

Sorry, just had to fix that.

I try to be humble in my name, but let's not kid ourselves.

There is only me. I'm The True Kaniggit. There is not another.

Edit: That's right. I'm prideful as hell. I'm early introduction Aviendha.

For books like WoT, I prefer to just stick with my pronunciations.  So what if Robert Jordan says they're pronounced one way?  Death of the Author. 

Hmm, that's kind of an unfortunate double entendre.

RIP James Rigney

On 8/1/2018 at 10:07 PM, A True Kaniggit said:

What are the unexpected ones? I remember being annoyed at finding out that Faile wasn't pronounced "fail", but "Fuh eel" on the audio version. 

2 hours ago, Summer Bass said:

What are the unexpected ones? I remember being annoyed at finding out that Faile wasn't pronounced "fail", but "Fuh eel" on the audio version. 

Siuan.

Cairhien

Egwene. 

I was nowhere near. Especially the first one. Swan. I pronounced it Sue-an. 

15 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Siuan.

Cairhien

Egwene. 

I can't remember what I thought Siuan would be pronounced as. I do remember pronouncing Cairhien as "Care-Heen", but not being particularly surprised that that wasn't right.

On 8/5/2018 at 9:04 PM, A True Kaniggit said:

Siuan.

Cairhien

Egwene. 

I think I have those right.  I avoid hearing an author read their own work for just this reason.  I like hearing the names in my head the way they pop in there when the character is introduced.  Some I just refuse to acknowledge the author's pronunciation.  Like Mazrim Taim and Jaichim Carridin and Faile.  Though, I prefer Jordan's pronunciation of Nynaeve  and Cairhien to my own earlier attempts so I adapted.  Jordan is among my favorite authors when it comes to names. 

I am on The Shadow Rising of my re-read.

20 hours ago, Inkdaub said:

Though, I prefer Jordan's pronunciation of Nynaeve  and Cairhien to my own earlier attempts so I adapted. 

See, in my mind Cairhien was 'Care-he-in'. To find out it's supposed to be 'Keye-ree-ehn' was weird, as with so many other names. 

For my own peace of mind, I think I'll avoid audio books from now on. 

On 8/6/2018 at 8:05 PM, Darth Richard II said:

Heh, I had the same thing happen when I got the audio version of, ahem, DragonLance out from the library in high school.

Raistlin was tricky to pronounce, huh?

Archived