Deadpool 2 (SpoilyourbreechesstupidautofillAway)

Corvinus85

So I saw it this morning.

Thought it was great. Lots of jokes and some of them didn't land, but most did. The loudest laugh was actually at Dopinder saying 'Fuck' when Peter was accepted over him. Too many jokes to call them all out but I loved the Black Tom Cassidy stuff, and calling Liefeld out on his inability to draw feet. Oh and the fucking baby legs segment :lol:

I loved the subversion with X-Force. The Vanisher gags in particular were good enough to forgive the total ability change (the happiest I've been to see Pitt in years.)

And whilst we didn't see too much of it, they didn't shy away from how sad and broken Deadpool really is.

Cable was mostly just a plot devise, but Brolin played him well. I think the standout was Domino.

I'm very confused where things stand timeline wise, but that's exactly what the writers want.

My main complaint is the bang crashyness got a bit too much near the end. I really wanted a personal story about Wade and Russel, but Juggernaught (though he was done well) distracted from that and seemed pretty superfluous.

And Fridge-ing Vanessa was a bit shitty, and they didn't call themselves out on it.

Papa can you Snowman...

Just saw it. Loved it. The references to the MCU, DCEU and X-Men were without shame.

That mid-credits stuff, while very likely irrelevant, was hilarious.

Also, loved the X-Force subversion, and how in this movie full of ridiculousness, they kinda made that realistic. But poor Peter, he deserved so much more.

I agree that Josh Brolin played Cable well, and that Domino was the highlight.

Better then the first one.  I will have more comments later but well worth paying for it in the theater which is not something I say often nowadays.  Heavy on silly and light on plot which I am fine with but if you want seriousness you need to go somewhere else. 

I just saw it and loved it. I think I might’ve laughed more than the first one which was fairly unexpected. Agree with Corvinus that Zazie Beetz killed it as Domino. Does Domino have that luck power in the comics too? I don’t remember at all.

The baby legs, X-men cameo and Deadpool-Colossus romance all had me dying. So many funny parts.

When they were talking about who the biggest dude in the prison was, that silly “I’m the Juggernaut, bitch” X3 quote popped into my head and it turned out to be right. I don’t know what to think about that. Weird.

7 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

I just saw it and loved it. I think I might’ve laughed more than the first one which was fairly unexpected. Agree with Corvinus that Zazie Beetz killed it as Domino. Does Domino have that luck power in the comics too? I don’t remember at all.

The baby legs, X-men cameo and Deadpool-Colossus romance all had me dying. So many funny parts.

When they were talking about who the biggest dude in the prison was, that silly “I’m the Juggernaut, bitch” X3 quote popped into my head and it turned out to be right. I don’t know what to think about that. Weird.

I didn't catch any Last Stand call outs, based on having the Juggernaut in this one. Too bad.

Also, was there a Stan Lee cameo in this one? The Brad Pitt cameo was great.

9 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

She has, but I've never seen it that powerful. It's more if something is possible she'll succeed at it.

I didn't see a Stan Lee cameo either. But apparently during the chase he's in a mural on a wall.

On 5/16/2018 at 7:11 PM, The BlackBear said:

And Fridge-ing Vanessa was a bit shitty, and they didn't call themselves out on it.

Not entirely sure what you mean by this. They did call themselves out in the intro credits.

2 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Not entirely sure what you mean by this. They did call themselves out in the intro credits.

They did on how it was shocking. I didn't think they did on it being a really worn trope that should go away. Her death was solely there to expedite the plot.

Apparently the redneck that was talking when Cable appears is Matt Damon. I knew that had to be a cameo, since I recognized the other guy to be Alan Tudyk, but the voice was too different, and the makeup too heavy, to really tell.

3 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Apparently the redneck that was talking when Cable appears is Matt Damon. I knew that had to be a cameo, since I recognized the other guy to be Alan Tudyk, but the voice was too different, and the makeup too heavy, to really tell.

Nice. Alan Tudyk was definitely recognizable so I assumed the other guy was somebody too but kind of just forgot about it. 

I did see Stan Lee’s mural on the side of a building. It was real quick.

Apparently the mural and a bust in Xavier's mansion were it, which is odd. I know the man is not well, but I thought this was one of five or six cameos he filmed all in one day last year. But maybe that was an assumption at the time based on the release schedule of all Marvel films and those cameos were all for MCU movies.  Which actually makes sense it would have covered Ragnorok through Untitled Avengers Movie. 

Curious, was there a Thanos joke? I liked Deadpool and will see this eventually, but coming out between Infinity War and Solo did it no favors. Unless it's a shitty horror movie I don't really care much for the "theater experience."

I doubt I've ever gone to see three movies in one month. edit: excluding repeats. I saw Infinity War twice, and back when they did the Star Wars: Special editions I saw them each multiple times. (not old enough to have seen the original theatrical run.) 

It was fine. Very funny. It was absolutely what I expected it to be. I suppose that can be interpreted as a slight, and maybe it is -- it was something I'm absolutely fine with never seeing again, even though I enjoyed myself.

I don't think it broke much new ground, compared to the original. And in that sense, if I'm going to re-watch a Deadpool movie, it will be the one which came out of nowhere. There was a recklessness to that first film which this one lacked. Killing Vanessa was bold, but I didn't feel like they did anything interesting with it. Deadpool snapped out of the funk relatively uneventfully. For a franchise which is hilariously self-aware, there wasn't one much-needed joke about how cliche those afterlife scenes were.

I don't know. This movie kind of cemented the fact that I'm fine with Deadpool being the most notable casualty of this Fox deal. I'm not exactly chomping at the bit to see this X-Force movie.

That post-credits scene was the best we've seen, though. Hilariously, as funny as it was, it even does a lot of heavy lifting for FoX-Men continuity. Suddenly, all of the inconsistencies in the X-Men films can be blamed on Deadpool. It's ingenious. Played for laughs, but "fixes" everything.

8 minutes ago, Bastard of Boston said:

It was fine. Very funny. It was absolutely what I expected it to be. I suppose that can be interpreted as a slight, and maybe it is -- it was something I'm absolutely fine with never seeing again, even though I enjoyed myself.

I don't think it broke much new ground, compared to the original. And in that sense, if I'm going to re-watch a Deadpool movie, it will be the one which came out of nowhere. There was a recklessness to that first film which this one lacked. Killing Vanessa was bold, but I didn't feel like they did anything interesting with it. Deadpool snapped out of the funk relatively uneventfully. For a franchise which is hilariously self-aware, there wasn't one much-needed joke about how cliche those afterlife scenes were.

I don't know. This movie kind of cemented the fact that I'm fine with Deadpool being the most notable casualty of this Fox deal. I'm not exactly chomping at the bit to see this X-Force movie.

That post-credits scene was the best we've seen, though. Hilariously, as funny as it was, it even does a lot of heavy lifting for FoX-Men continuity. Suddenly, all of the inconsistencies in the X-Men films can be blamed on Deadpool. It's ingenious. Played for laughs, but "fixes" everything.

At the same time, Deadpool's timeline was screwed up by the X-Men cameo. So Deadpool clearly takes place in the 2000s-2010s by the technology, but now you have the 70s X-Men.

1 hour ago, Corvinus said:

So Deadpool clearly takes place in the 2000s-2010s by the technology, but now you have the 70s X-Men.

90's X-Men as of the next one. I'm hesitant to read too much into a gag in a Deadpool movie, but could this be Fox's way of saying "These are the actors who play these characters now." I wonder if any of the original three X-Men movies even establish exactly when they're happening. The first one came out in 2000. The hypothetical sequel to Dark Pheonix would probably take place in the 00's. At one point before the success of Deadlpool and Logan there were rumors that Fox wanted to reboot the X-Universe but keep most of the actors.  So I'd assume there plan was to just have these actors play the "grown up" versions of the characters and shrug it off. 

Of course the Disney merger probably will make any of their future plans moot anyway. 

I loved it. Not quite as funny as the first one, but it had better action. Need to see again to really decide which one was better overall. Very happy with Brolin’s Cable. I’ll also echo all the praise for Domino, she was awesome. 

I was entertained and thought it was funny, but it really meandered up until he put together x-force.  I also don't understand why people are surprised that they "killed" off Vanessa.  It was obvious from second 1 what was happening.  I also thought the "afterlife" scenes were mostly terrible and only in there so they could somewhat recreate the video for Take On Me.  Regardless she's back to life at the end so no harm no foul.

8 hours ago, Slurktan said:

I was entertained and thought it was funny, but it really meandered up until he put together x-force.  I also don't understand why people are surprised that they "killed" off Vanessa.  It was obvious from second 1 what was happening.  I also thought the "afterlife" scenes were mostly terrible and only in there so they could somewhat recreate the video for Take On Me.  Regardless she's back to life at the end so no harm no foul.

Does that count? Considering he pushed further, and did all kinds of wacky things, I'm not really sure any of the mid-credits count. After all, if he saves Vanessa, he has no reason to become an X-Men trainee and meet Russell.

14 hours ago, RumHam said:

I wonder if any of the original three X-Men movies even establish exactly when they're happening. The first one came out in 2000.

The first one sets itself in "The very near future".

As for whether the mid-credits scenes "count", it's Deadpool, it doesn't really care about continuity like that.

Archived