What does Jaehaerys II Targaryen hide in his painting? 

9 minutes ago, Dead headofMaelysKinslayer said:

What does Jaehaerys II Targaryen hold in his hand? Winter horn? Why does he hold it when his painting is drawn? Is the message that I will never give you it even if the world comes to end?

This is GRRM's description to Amok. I believe Jae II had a deformed hand that he was keeping hidden.

• JAEHAERYS II. Amiable, clever, sickly (he died young). Pale and frail, with very large purple eyes. Shoulder-length hair, a silky beard, a tired smile. One arm concealed by the drape of his cape. Wears Maekar's crown.

35 minutes ago, The Wondering Wolf said:

It has been speculated that his left arm was kind of crippled.

34 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

This is GRRM's description to Amok. I believe Jae II had a deformed hand that he was keeping hidden.

• JAEHAERYS II. Amiable, clever, sickly (he died young). Pale and frail, with very large purple eyes. Shoulder-length hair, a silky beard, a tired smile. One arm concealed by the drape of his cape. Wears Maekar's crown.

Does Maelys hide his second dead head? Does Aerys hide his nails? No. There is something else.

Just now, Dead headofMaelysKinslayer said:

Does Maelys hide his second dead head? Does Aerys hide his nails? No. There is something else.

No, they don't, but a head is not a hand, and nails are not a head. They all mean something different and personal to each character. It is not a one-deformity-fits-all issue.

And, I believe it is also mentioned in the books (in some dark corner somewhere) that Jae II wanted his crippled hand covered. I will look for it... soon?

11 minutes ago, Dead headofMaelysKinslayer said:

Some people hide their deficiencies, some do not. These portraits are meant to show the look of the person but also the character itself. Aerys was insane, so his portrait shows he did not care about his look anymore. We do not have a portrait of Maelys.

Just now, Dead headofMaelysKinslayer said:

Then what did I upload as profile picture?

I have no idea where that one comes from, but I am very sure that it is no portrait from Amok based on notes of GRRM.

But yes, there is an image of Maelys in the Worldbook, and you can see his second head, but apparently this guy did not care about the opinion of his environment, he even killed his cousin.

1 hour ago, Dead headofMaelysKinslayer said:

Then what did I upload as profile picture?

No idea? But try this.

Funny thing... Maelys is the feminine name for "prince". I always suspected that the "dead head" was a female/sister of Maelys the man (maël) and this is how the gods struck that coin.

1 hour ago, The Fattest Leech said:

No idea? But try this.

Funny thing... Maelys is the feminine name for "prince". I always suspected that the "dead head" was a female/sister of Maelys the man (maël) and this is how the gods struck that coin.

According to Jon Connington the second head was male:

The captain-general's tent was made of cloth-of-gold and surrounded by a ring of pikes topped with gilded skulls. One skull was larger than the rest, grotesquely malformed. Below it was a second, no larger than a child's fist. Maelys the Monstrous and his nameless brother. The other skulls had a sameness to them, though several had been cracked and splintered by the blows that had slain them, and one had filed, pointed teeth. "Which one is Myles?" Griff found himself asking.

20 minutes ago, Der Karrenkönig said:

According to Jon Connington the second head was male:

The captain-general's tent was made of cloth-of-gold and surrounded by a ring of pikes topped with gilded skulls. One skull was larger than the rest, grotesquely malformed. Below it was a second, no larger than a child's fist. Maelys the Monstrous and his nameless brother. The other skulls had a sameness to them, though several had been cracked and splintered by the blows that had slain them, and one had filed, pointed teeth. "Which one is Myles?" Griff found himself asking.

Ah. Thanks. That is somewhat familiar (haven’t read that history in a while).

But, but, but, why was he nameless? M jr should have a name. 

Archived