Laurel or Yanny?

Fragile Bird

So this is the new blue dress/gold dress.

I listened to CNN this morning and the two hosts were laughing because they could only hear Laurel, and I was shocked because I could only hear Yanny.

I just saw this post on the internet and I could only hear Laurel! And right after the CBC news segment on You Tube there's a fellow discussing the same vocal clip and he says all he can hear is Yanny, and I can only hear Laurel, until at the end he changes the frequencies and I hear Yanny.

What do you hear? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g8fE_o1ASc&feature=youtu.be

You went there Birdie!!! I knew someone would.

I hear Yanny, but one time listening to it I heard Laurel. I'm guessing it had more to do with outside factors like different equipment and a different speaker (at least she sounded different). One thing I saw is that if you account for all the variables, people who hear Yanny can pick up on slightly higher frequencies. 

46 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I hear Yanny, but one time listening to it I heard Laurel.

Rewinding the clip a few times on the same speakers I usually hear Yanny but sometimes Laurel. Listening to it on headphones I hear Laurel more often but still sometimes Yanny. The way it can switch despite nothing obviously changing is very weird.

I also found that if I'm listening to it on headphones saying Laurel and then life them slightly off my ears then it starts saying Yammy.

I heard only "Laurel" .

Maybe it's something similar to that annoying noise that only kids and teens and maybe some twenty-somethings can hear and older people can't. The noise that some areas play that don't want a lot of kids hanging around, but adults don't hear a thing.

Why you hear “Laurel” or “Yanny” in that viral audio clip, explained

It comes down to how our brains pick up on, and interpret, different frequencies.

https://www.vox.com/2018/5/16/17358774/yanny-laurel-explained

Humans typically pay attention to three different frequencies when they’re listening to speech. Story said the lowest of the three frequencies is “absolutely essential” for the L’s and R’s — the consonants that make up “Laurel.”

“So when you’re listening to ‘Laurel,’ the reason you get L, R, and L is because of the movement of that third frequency,” he said.

Archived