Laurel or Yanny?

Fragile Bird

12 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

Why you hear “Laurel” or “Yanny” in that viral audio clip, explained

It comes down to how our brains pick up on, and interpret, different frequencies.

https://www.vox.com/2018/5/16/17358774/yanny-laurel-explained

I always hear Yanny in the original clip, though on the CBC segment where they altered frequencies I did hear "Laurel" part of the time.

Though the link above seems to be saying that this is a robotic voice which actually is NOT producing exactly the same mixture of sounds that a real human being who was trying to say "Laurel" would produce, so it's as much a fault of the robotic voice as it is of the different capacities to hear high frequencies among humans.

Laurel for me.

Even at the changed frequencies which are supposedly more likely to make you hear Yanny, I just heard Larry or Lanny. That first 'L' is so incredibly obvious to me that I'm baffled that so many people don't hear it.

12 hours ago, drawkcabi said:

I heard only "Laurel" .

Maybe it's something similar to that annoying noise that only kids and teens and maybe some twenty-somethings can hear and older people can't. The noise that some areas play that don't want a lot of kids hanging around, but adults don't hear a thing.

I was wondering about that too. However, I can still hear that annoying sound even though I'm past 30 (my GF and I went to a website that plays it at different frequencies and she couldn't hear any of them except at the very lowest frequencies while I heard all of them, even the super high one that supposedly only pre-teens can hear). And it seems like more young people, who also hear that noise, are hearing Yanny.

1 minute ago, S John said:

I hear Laurel so distinctly every time that I honestly think the Yanny's are just trying to fuck with me.  

Same with the opposite (I hear "yanny").

Also, that gd dress is still gold and white. 

Hmmm - I'm really interested in this.

I hear Yanny and unlike with the colours of the dress I can't make it switch (at pitch up 30%  I hear Yorrel).

I don't think the young ears explanation holds (by making assumptions on the above posters age). I think it has more to do with what frequencies we have trained ourselves to focus on.

I'd be interested in posters impressions when listening to this frequency sweep.

I have the impression that the tone is loudest at around 1500 Hz and that the volume drops sharply at 5 kHz I notice no change anymore above 16 kHz.

19 hours ago, drawkcabi said:

I heard only "Laurel" .

Maybe it's something similar to that annoying noise that only kids and teens and maybe some twenty-somethings can hear and older people can't. The noise that some areas play that don't want a lot of kids hanging around, but adults don't hear a thing.

I have never heard of this sonic child deterrent!  Please tell me more what is it?

14 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

I have never heard of this sonic child deterrent!  Please tell me more what is it?

Maybe it’s that ringing noise you sometimes hear despite there being no noise and no one around you can hear it?

9 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mosquito

The Mosquito or Mosquito alarm is an electronic device used to deter loitering by young people by emitting sound at high frequency, in some versions so it can be heard mostly by younger people. The devices have attracted controversy on the basis of human rights and discrimination concerns.

The device is marketed as a safety and security tool for preventing youths from congregating in specific areas. As such, it is promoted to reduce anti-social behaviour, such as loitering, vandalism, drug use, drug distribution, and violence. In the UK, over 3,000 have been sold, mainly for use outside shops and near transport hubs.[2]The device is also sold in Australia, France, Denmark, Italy, Spain, Germany, Switzerland, Canada and the USA.[3]

Critics say that it discriminates against young people and infringes their human rights, while supporters argue that making the Mosquito illegal would infringe the rights of shopkeepers who suffer business losses when "unruly teenagers" drive away their customers.[4] Mosquito distributors have said that they keep standards to ensure that the device is not abused, and Howard Stapleton who invented the device has asked European governments to legislate guidelines governing its use.[3]

The newest version of the device, launched late in 2008, has two frequency settings, one of approximately 17.4 kHz[5] that can generally be heard only by young people, and another at 8 kHz that can be heard by most people. The maximum potential output sound pressure level is stated by the manufacturer to be 108 decibels (dB), and the manufacturer's product specification furthermore states that the sound can typically be heard by people below 25 years of age.[1] The ability to hear high frequencies deteriorates in most humans with age (a phenomenon known as presbycusis), typically observable by the age of 18.

5 hours ago, Lykos said:

Hmmm - I'm really interested in this.

I hear Yanny and unlike with the colours of the dress I can't make it switch (at pitch up 30%  I hear Yorrel).

I don't think the young ears explanation holds (by making assumptions on the above posters age). I think it has more to do with what frequencies we have trained ourselves to focus on.

I'd be interested in posters impressions when listening to this frequency sweep.

I have the impression that the tone is loudest at around 1500 Hz and that the volume drops sharply at 5 kHz I notice no change anymore above 16 kHz.

My impression is it was loudest around 6000 Hz, volume drops around 7000 Hz and I can't hear it at anymore at 12,000 Hz.

It's funny, I clicked on the video when my dog was lying right next to me. It seemed we both started to hear something around 200 Hz, at around 10 kHz she got scared and left, and she could still definitely hear it past 12 kHz all the way to the end.

2 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

In my experience loitering and drug use are frequently social as fuck!

Agreed. In High School it was the ones that didn't hang out in the mall parking lots that were antisocial.

5 hours ago, S John said:

I hear Laurel so distinctly every time that I honestly think the Yanny's are just trying to fuck with me.  

Right!? Even when I try to hear Yanny it doesn’t work. 

For the frequency test: For myself it gets loudest at around 2000 Hz, “screechiest” around 6000 Hz and I can’t hear it at about 14000 Hz.

As I said in the OP, I was watching CNN in the morning and all I could hear was Yanny, and like S John, wondered if the hosts were yanking my chain by laughing and saying of course it's Laurel! But in the CBC clip, all I can hear is Laurel, no Yanny at all. 

Archived