Laurel or Yanny?

Fragile Bird

It was Yanny all the way, then I heard Laurel in a different clip and I can't switch back. And for the record, the dress was gold and white. This shit is so stupid and trivial and I love it. I've always been interested in how people perceive the world around them and how my 'green' is not your 'green'.

eta: oh shit - I just listened to the clip that FB actually linked and it was Yanny. Hmm. I should check out the actual source of the clip, but I'm lazy.

14 hours ago, KiDisaster said:

I heard yanny first, then it switched to laurel after a few loops. Now I can decide which one I hear. 

Senses are weird. 

11 hours ago, Lykos said:

Hmmm - I'm really interested in this.

I hear Yanny and unlike with the colours of the dress I can't make it switch (at pitch up 30%  I hear Yorrel).

I don't think the young ears explanation holds (by making assumptions on the above posters age). I think it has more to do with what frequencies we have trained ourselves to focus on.

10 hours ago, TheKitttenGuard said:

The pitch had an effect for me yet I thought it was different then other explain. There are many assumption that want to be when, at least for me, it was just knowing what to focus on.

You three have it right.  As a self-described "professional listener," or IOW, a stenographic reporter, I've been forced to train this human faculty to a high degree.   As I have to, in real time, commit the spoken word, in all sorts of settings, to the printed word at speeds approaching 250+ WPM, sometimes in noisy situations with cell phone conversations going on sotto voce close by, being able to pick and choose what should be written down versus what shouldn't (which sometimes includes a whispered "objection" from the back of the room - well, let's just say I tested out EXCELLENT at my latest hearing test.   And good thing for the clients who hire me! 

But it is a skill or technique or whatever that CAN be attained, as long as you have no physical reason for an inability to hear in a certain range.  To that end, I think all folk, no matter the age, should have their hearing tested.  We all assume we're hearing everything there is to hear, but in actuality you really don't know what you are missing.  When your sight is affected, it's a lot more obvious to you that something's wrong.  Not so with hearing.

23 hours ago, Lykos said:

I'd be interested in posters impressions when listening to this frequency sweep.

I have the impression that the tone is loudest at around 1500 Hz and that the volume drops sharply at 5 kHz I notice no change anymore above 16 kHz.

Weird, the volume drops off for me at 7kHz but then briefly comes back up a little at about 10 and 13. With the volume way up I can hear it up to 18.

By far the loudest for me is between 5 and six kHz. Can barely stand that even with a low volume.

On 5/17/2018 at 2:42 PM, KiDisaster said:

I heard yanny first, then it switched to laurel after a few loops. Now I can decide which one I hear. 

Senses are weird. 

Same. Sounded like a weird jumble of Y's and L's first time and then gradually heard Laurel then if I focus and listen out for Yanny I hear that. Weird stuff, burn the witch!

10 hours ago, williamjm said:

On a similar theme, this is very weird where you can hear either "Brainstorm" or "Green Needle" depending on which word you are thinking:

http://www.iflscience.com/brain/just-what-the-hell-is-going-on-in-this-latest-viral-audio-illusion/

Hmmm. Just listened to that one. Yeah, if I thought "Green Needle" I heard "Green Needle". And if I thought "Brainstorm" I heard "Brainstorm".

But then I let if play while thinking of other words. Duck, Dad, Cat all made me hear "Green Needle". 

Shoe made me hear "Brainstorm"

I feel as if this some kind of Thanos's way of checking which half of the population will survive...

For the record, it will be the one hearing Laurel. I want to live :D

And didthanoskillyou.me says I was phased.

When I listen on good quality speakers it's Yanny. When I listen on cell phone speakers or low quality headphones it's Laurel. When I first heard it (on good-ish quality speakers) without knowing anything about it I thought it said "yearly". Apparently cell phone speakers and low quality headphones don't output high frequency sounds, so with those outputs your ear is not being fed the entire sound profile of the recording, for your brain to process. Which is quite interesting considering your cell phone speakers will always be filtering the sound output in that way. I wonder if that's partly to do with decreasing the amount of background noise that comes though to the listener on a cell phone. And perhaps if you want to be heard clearly when talking to someone on a cell phone you should try to lower the register of your voice. Try to talk like Thor rather than Star Lord.

The people who hear Yanny either have superior hearing, or inferior brain filtering. I chose the former, superior hearing. I guess the people who heard Yanny initially and then now hear Laurel have both superior hearing and superior brain filtering.

The question that interests me is can the people who've only ever heard laurel train themselves to hear yanny? It seems like some yannys are able to hear laurel and do fully convert, but I've not heard of any laurels being capable of hearing yanny without at least some further manipulation of the recording.

Listening on decent quality headphones just now I actually hear both. I hear Yanny as a higher pitched vocalisation and laurel as a lower pitched vocalisation. This is probably partly because I know both are there. I has the bestest ears and the bestest brainez.

On 5/20/2018 at 10:44 AM, Risto said:

And didthanoskillyou.me says I was phased.

I'm also phased in the MCU continuity. Lucky this version of my consciousness lives in a Thanos-free continuity.

Archived