Do Dolphins Really Protect People from Sharks?

The Anti-Targ

I guess it might depend on if they like you.

https://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national/357554/clarke-vs-shark-do-dolphins-protect-people

Sometimes they like to watch, I suppose.

This is our Prime Minister's partner. She's pregnant and running the country, he's fighting off sharks. Badass or irresponsible (the shark fighting)? You be the judge.

4 hours ago, Lord Sidious said:

If you’re in trouble with a shark I’d think an Orca being around would be much better than a dolphin, they eat Great Whites.

Fuck that. When Killer Whales work out humans are edible we're screwed. Have you seen them catching seals on the beach? On the beach!

Just take one for the team and let the shark eat you.

21 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

So long and thanks for all the fish.

Lmfao 

i actually always found dolphins kinda creepy when I realised how smart they genuinely were and some of the nasty stuff they do 

kinda ruins some otherwise pleasant childhood memories of this dolphin finding itself at my local beach and chilling with all the kids for a bit and then swimming off. 

Avtually you know what, no. That’s still a kickass memory and that dolphin was cool.

23 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

So long and thanks for all the fish.

Haha, and Flipper was only in it for the fish. He would've drowned Sandy and Bud were it not for them feeding him.

7 hours ago, ljkeane said:

Fuck that. When Killer Whales work out humans are edible we're screwed. Have you seen them catching seals on the beach? On the beach!

She-it. Just wait until they remember they used to be land animals, and decide to regrow their legs. None of us will be safe then.

My "Friend of Man-dolphin" bubble was burst when I heard they try to get sexy with people silly enough to go swimming with them.  Then the "Roving Band of Rapist" teen dolphins who prey on unprotected, innocent, girly dolphins moved them firmly into the category of unsavory species in my mind.  Now I only buy dolphin-unsafe tuna.   

6 hours ago, Tears of Lys said:

My "Friend of Man-dolphin" bubble was burst when I heard they try to get sexy with people silly enough to go swimming with them.  Then the "Roving Band of Rapist" teen dolphins who prey on unprotected, innocent, girly dolphins moved them firmly into the category of unsavory species in my mind.  Now I only buy dolphin-unsafe tuna.   

yeah this is what did it for me. well creepy. 

On 5/18/2018 at 12:09 AM, ljkeane said:

Yeah I’ve seen that on a documentary about them, the way they catch seals by beaching themselves is really clever, different pods of them only eat certain prey if I remember right, so some who only ate fish would ignore seals and vice versa, I don’t think they like the taste of human much :P, unless it’s one of those people who catches them and puts them in sea world or somewhere similar, in which case good luck to the Orca!.

On 5/18/2018 at 5:02 PM, Tears of Lys said:

Why don't they do what other bachelor groups among social animals do and engage in homosexual behaviour to get out their sexual urges? Dolphins be homophobes too?

Archived