Honor and starks

History

1 hour ago, History said:

Were the starks always so honorable and dutiful or was eddard stark time as ward of john arryn what made im to have more honor that comon sence?

At one point they were clearly an agressive house to end up the norths rulers, we forget how intimidating the stark powerbase is given our pov of them!

Generaly speaking given the norths harsh enviroment etc it seems a system of  a mans word/honour  being more important may have developed

Not to mention a religion where you are watched at all times by the bushes and trees! Lol 

Ned personaly may have just been exceptionaly honourable too

3 minutes ago, John Suburbs said:

I can easily envision a time when the Starks were pricks and the Lannisters were the good guys.

Haven't the Stark killed of several cadet branches that got uppity? The Lannisport Lannisters aren't dead, so there is that at least.

10 minutes ago, Ylath's Snout said:

Haven't the Stark killed of several cadet branches that got uppity? The Lannisport Lannisters aren't dead, so there is that at least.

The only one I can think of is House Greystark. But House Karstark is still around, and there are supposedly some Stark descendants in White Harbor and Barrowton.

11 minutes ago, Ylath's Snout said:

The wiped out the Greystarks after they joined the Bolton's in a rebellion. I think that's the only case. Robb did execute Rickard Karstark but that's not quite the same.

13 minutes ago, John Suburbs said:

The only one I can think of is House Greystark. But House Karstark is still around, and there are supposedly some Stark descendants in White Harbor and Barrowton.

8 minutes ago, Adam Yozza said:

The wiped out the Greystarks after they joined the Bolton's in a rebellion. I think that's the only case. Robb did execute Rickard Karstark but that's not quite the same.

Ahh my bad, still offing a whole house of relatives could be considered bad.

7 minutes ago, Ylath's Snout said:

Ahh my bad, still offing a whole house of relatives could be considered bad.

If it was done arbitrarily or for a minor offence I'd agree. Hell I'd argue that what Tywin did to the Reyne's and Tarbeck's was overkill. But unless I'm very much mistaken, we haven't actually been told how they died out. Simply that five centuries after they were formed, they presumed to join the Bolton's in rebellion and at the very least no male Greystark's survived said rebellion. It could simply be that all the male Greystark's at the time were of an age to fight and died doing so. Alternatively it could have been that the Starks felt their betrayal was less forgivable than the Bolton's (because Greystarks were related and Bolton's weren't) and wiped them out deliberately but if that were the case then I feel like a bigger deal would have been made out of it in the series proper.

5 minutes ago, Adam Yozza said:

But unless I'm very much mistaken, we haven't actually been told how they died out. Simply that five centuries after they were formed, they presumed to join the Bolton's in rebellion and at the very least no male Greystark's survived said rebellion. It could simply be that all the male Greystark's at the time were of an age to fight and died doing so. Alternatively it could have been that the Starks felt their betrayal was less forgivable than the Bolton's (because Greystarks were related and Bolton's weren't) and wiped them out deliberately but if that were the case then I feel like a bigger deal would have been made out of it in the series proper.

Seeing as they aren't around I'm inclined to think that they very pretty meticulous. Although "wiping out" could be done with marriages, adoption and taking the black.

Are we gonna get a bunch of "X is/was a secret Greystark" theories now?

10 minutes ago, Adam Yozza said:

If it was done arbitrarily or for a minor offence I'd agree. Hell I'd argue that what Tywin did to the Reyne's and Tarbeck's was overkill.

Yups, killing everyone that wasn't a man of fighting age after they tried to surrender make me eye-roll when someone argues are Tywin really is a good guy.

I'm thinking that the North is such a harsh environment that really, really old concepts of honour - a man's word is his bond - were/still are held in high regard in the North, similarly the concept of guest right, which in the North can be a matter of life and death, to reciprocally give shelter from the elements even to "enemies". Guest right is sacred even in the south - that's why the Red Wedding sent such shockwaves even in the south, it was viewed as horror even by southron people. (Good luck, Freys! hahaha!)

The southron, Andal concept of honour seems to be mixed up with a lot of "chivalry", that is, rationalising warfare, killing, explaining it away, (ask Sandor Clegane!) and Ned, being fostered in the Vale - grand central of Andal notions of high chivalric honour - may have picked up southron notions there. Catelyn certainly grew up with the Andal honour tradition, so their sons and daughters (and Jon Snow) learned it... It's almost like they, Jon, Sansa, Arya, Bran (and Rickon?) have to unlearn southron chivalric honour and return to their Stark forefathers' simpler and harsher honour concept. I don't know what exactly it is, but GRRM sure as seven hells tells us it's not the southron chivalric honour concept that has become corrupt.

Why don't we ask Jaime? No character thinks about honour and the conficts inherent in the concept more than our shit-for-honour knight. GRRM very deliberately made it so.

Jaime Lannister: "Honor is a horse."

Sandor Clegane: "A knight has no honor."

The Kingsguard, on paper the most honorable guys around, stood around with their thumbs up their butts while Aerys tortured Rhaella.

In the world GRRM has given us honor is much overrated and underpracticed.

3 hours ago, Light a wight tonight said:

Jaime Lannister: "Honor is a horse."

Sandor Clegane: "A knight has no honor."

The Kingsguard, on paper the most honorable guys around, stood around with their thumbs up their butts while Aerys tortured Rhaella.

In the world GRRM has given us honor is much overrated and underpracticed.

I wouldn't say it's overrated and underpracticed.  The word Honor is used too loosely.  Oft times, people are arrogant, put too much stock and pride in family history, valor in battles, and call that honor.  

39 minutes ago, Gabbie Roxas said:

I wouldn't say it's overrated and underpracticed.  The word Honor is used too loosely.  Oft times, people are arrogant, put too much stock and pride in family history, valor in battles, and call that honor.  

So what is honour? (Besides Jaime's horse - BTW, he has two, named Honour and Glory by his young squire (hostage), and he keeps riding only Honour.)

I think GRRM really wants us to think about the concept of honour and what it is and is it all good or might it have problematic aspects as well.

Archived