Football - To Russia with Löw

Philokles

24 minutes ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Don't we get £70m for reaching the CL final? 

Liverpool should get around that amount. Leicester earned something like 89 million for getting to the quarter finals although they received a 40% share of the market pool going in as league champions whereas Liverpool will only get 10% due to finishing 4th last season.

28 minutes ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Spend it on a a world class goalkeeper Klopp you arrogant twat!

Alright, rein it in a bit. 

This does have to raise serious questions about Karius for next season but he’s been good up to this point. What exactly did you expect Klopp to do prior to now?

While we’re on the point which ‘world class’    goalkeepers are conceivably available? And how much value would we get for spending £70 million to buy one? We’ve had the best defensive record in the league since Karius came in and even a better keeper is no guarantee of not making an error.

Poor Karius. He has been a very good keeper this season, but making such high profile errors must be crushing. Most players would never get over that. Not particularly impressed by how none of the Liverpool players or Klopp went over to him on the full time whistle. Only Bale, Vallejo and a member of the backroom staff.

Typical Ronaldo, trying to steal Bale's limelight by making comments about his future.

Bale also stoked speculation on his future saying he wants to be playing regularly and will discuss it with his agent. Ronaldo has been pretty great again this season. 44 goals in all competitions (only Messi has more with 45) and finishing as CL top scorer for the 6th season in a row and a record 7th time overall.

Poor Karius. It's hard for a keeper to come back from those blunders because there's no way of earning everyone's trust back straight away, you just have to put in good performance after good performance time and time again. For his sake, I hope Klopp continues to pick him.

The only thing I can think of that's comparable is Oliver Kahn spilling a shot in the 2002 World Cup final, allowing Ronaldo to follow up and open up the scoring from which Brazil never looked back. However, Kahn did have the goodwill of having almost single-handedly brought the German team to the final (they would never have got there without him) so people could rationalise and forgive him the mistake.

3 hours ago, Jeor said:

Poor Karius. It's hard for a keeper to come back from those blunders because there's no way of earning everyone's trust back straight away, you just have to put in good performance after good performance time and time again. For his sake, I hope Klopp continues to pick him.

The only thing I can think of that's comparable is Oliver Kahn spilling a shot in the 2002 World Cup final, allowing Ronaldo to follow up and open up the scoring from which Brazil never looked back. However, Kahn did have the goodwill of having almost single-handedly brought the German team to the final (they would never have got there without him) so people could rationalise and forgive him the mistake.

Kahn was also quite a bit older at the time, and considered amongst the best keepers in the world. 

Karius does not have that luxury.

46 minutes ago, Rorshach said:

Kahn was also quite a bit older at the time, and considered amongst the best keepers in the world. 

Karius does not have that luxury.

Very true, Kahn was much more established and his reputation was such that it could take the hit. World-class goalkeepers have had major blunders in big matches (Peter Schmeichel and Buffon have had them too) but Karius isn't world-class. But he's only 24, so I hope it doesn't scotch his career.

Pretty disgusted by the media's cowardly response to Ramos' shoulder-dislocating cuntery. He's a dirty, cheating bastard. Always has been, always will. 

Fingers crossed for Salah that he's okay for the World Cup. I'm hearing that an x-ray has indicated that there's no torn muscles involved. 

4 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

“The Champions League should change and be called the CR7 Champions League. I have won five and I am the top goalscorer again.”

He actually fucking said this. Jesus.

Good thing he won't win a World Cup, then. I doubt Portugal will get much further than Round of 16.

38 minutes ago, Jeor said:

Good thing he won't win a World Cup, then. I doubt Portugal will get much further than Round of 16.

I wouldn’t be so sure. Say what you like about him, but having him in your team means anything is possible.

His Portugal side managed to win the Euro 2016 competition having by winning only one of their seven matches in normal time. Obviously the chances are lower of something like that happening in the World Cup, as it isn’t as abysmally set up as the previous Euros was. But having the best striker in world football in your team is a big advantage.

24 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

“The Champions League should change and be called the CR7 Champions League. I have won five and I am the top goalscorer again.”

He actually fucking said this. Jesus.

It's pretty clear from the full interview that he said this jokingly.

5 minutes ago, JordanJH1993 said:

I wouldn’t be so sure. Say what you like about him, but having him in your team means anything is possible.

His Portugal side managed to win the Euro 2016 competition having by winning only one of their seven matches in normal time. Obviously the chances are lower of something like that happening in the World Cup, as it isn’t as abysmalling set up as the previous Euros was. But having the best striker in world football in your team is a big advantage.

And Portugal have very good forward options as well: Andre Silva, Bernado Silva, Guedes, Ronaldo, Gelson Martins and Quaresma. They've also significantly tightened up defensively under Santos which used to be their achilles heel. They aren't among the favourites but I'd have them as dark horses.

I think it will still take a few days for scousers to calm down and get over that lost final, however, I think they can objectively be very happy with their season. They achieved a top four finish, thus back-to-back CL qualification, which they haven't done in quite a while. In the CL they outperformed expectations, and got to the final. If they were told that would be the outcome of this season, they would have happily signed up for it.

Just now, Notone said:

I think it will still take a few days for scousers to calm down and get over that lost final, however, I think they can objectively be very happy with their season. They achieved a top four finish, thus back-to-back CL qualification, which they haven't done in quite a while. In the CL they outperformed expectations, and got to the final. If they were told that would be the outcome of this season, they would have happily signed up for it.

Bollocks. If you'd have described the final to them, most Liverpool fans would have run screaming for the hills.

2 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Knowing what we all know about this narcissistic twat, I see absolutely nothing here that makes it clear he was joking. 

Seems clear to me that he wasn't seriously suggesting that the CL be renamed...but whatever. I get you hate Ronaldo. If Messi said something like this, you'd probably have no problem with it.

Just now, Consigliere said:

Seems clear to me that he wasn't seriously suggesting that the CL be renamed...but whatever. I get you hate Ronaldo. If Messi said something like this, you'd probably have no problem with it.

Nope. Can't stand Messi either, flash, bullying little prick that he is.

Just now, Spockydog said:

Nope. Can't stand Messi either, flash, bullying little prick that he is.

Fair enough. 

I think having a big ego is part of what makes these two such phenomenal players. Aside from being incredibly talented and dedicated, both these guys have unwavering belief in their own ability. I guess being full of themselves can be seen as a natural consequence of being head and shoulders above everyone else in their profession.

Archived