Football - To Russia with Löw

Philokles

I have actually played GK for three seasons - albeit at a much lower level. So I do know a little bit. The moving shots, I’ve experienced those. They are indeed hard to catch, but I don’t really credit him much with that save. Both than one and the one in the final are punching balls for me. Punch far, far away. Limp-wristed attempts, like he does, are more luck than skill if he saves them. 

I actually happened to (wrongly) click on the away game when I wanted to rewatch that, and there I saw another thing I can’t remember if have been mentioned. Is Dzeko Roma’s number 9? Anyway, number 9 score a goal after a Karius rebound which should never have been pushed where it was pushed. That’s a «push it round the post, son»-save, and Karius - while making a save - gives up another unnessecarily. 

Makes for too close inspection, really, and I’m not going to begrudge you having a soft spot for him. I think he’s decent, and ahead of Mignolet, but I wouldn’t trust him myself. I also happen to think that Pickford has better technique - but may be to aggressive at times, and his size is an issue. 

By the way, I’m not really sure that either of Pope, Fabianski or Foster would have improved Liverpool. They are different keepers, with different styles. I think they’ve all performed more assuredly than Karius this season, however.

2 hours ago, Rorshach said:

However, I think you should look wider. Before looking at stats, I would like you to consider the fact that Pickford constantly had at least one of Martina, Williams, Keane or Funes Mori ahead of him. Sometimes several of them. While Karius had VVD.  

He also had Lovren. Don't forget Lovren. :lol:

Talking about goalkeepers. Looks like Neuer will be Germany's goalkeeper in Russia. The final call will be made tomorrow after the friendly against Austria. That must kinda suck for ter Stegen, who will be forced to watch it from the bench. Looks like he will have to wait for Neuer to retire from international football (hopefully before the next WC from ter Stegen's perspective).

Also in today's presser, Löw pretty much shot down any rumors about him and Real. "That is something I can rule out."

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

Not sure, i'm just following the score on BBC website.

It was available live on the ESPN app.  Possibly only for Americans.  I took a look for a few minutes to see what the quality of the stream is like: the picture quality is excellent but the commentary is low key by a single voice (not a typical broadcast commentary) and no sound feed at all from the pitch or stadium.  So it felt kind of eerie and disconnected.  

6 hours ago, Rorshach said:

Some weird formatting on this end. Will look through the post later, to see what I left out. 

However, I think you should look wider. Before looking at stats, I would like you to consider the fact that Pickford constantly had at least one of Martina, Williams, Keane or Funes Mori ahead of him. Sometimes several of them. While Karius had VVD. Basically, being Pickford required goalkeeping in a rather more averse enviroment. 

Also, before looking at stats, Karius - for me - never gives off a feeling of «safe hands». He can produce great saves, but is still able to produce the kind of games he did before he was number one for half a season (short time span, that). And on top of that, the Kolarov shot and the Bale goal both point to either poor technique or lack of consentration. The former is bad, the latter - in the CL semi and final - is worse, I’d say.

Pickford makes mistakes, sure. So has Karius. But to my eyes, Pickford is a more assured keeper. Considering the calamitous defense we’ve had this year, that is a great achievement.  

Also, more importantly, looking at statistics doesn't tell you that Karius made arguably the biggest two goalkeeper blunders in a CL final ever (there might be worse ones than the 2nd, but the Benzema one is clearly #1), and those cost Liverpool the title. People who want him to continue are ignoring the psychological effect it has on him, as well as the rest of the team- even if they say otherwise, his teammates will NEVER trust Karius the same way again and insist on him will force the team to play every game without full trust in each other.

This will also lead to every single team that Liverpool faces to try to exploit this to their advantage- that means more shots from outside the area, more pressure on Karius every time he has the ball, opponent players trying to provoke him and make him nervous, supporters provoking him and trying to make him nervous, etc.  And every single mistake he makes, even if it's a small one, will be analyzed to the 10th degree, which in turn will put more pressure on Karius. Insist on him is quite simply complete non-sense.

13 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

That's one shitty PR campaign. If they have the resources then they should just donate those meals. Making it dependant on a couple of multi-millionaires scoring goals is idiotic.

Yeah, not to mention what if one them gets injured? Or what if they have the chance to score, but instead choose to give an assist instead "Hey, nice pass, so good that I'm happy that 10,000 children won't have anything to eat tonight!".

Just now, Winterfell is Burning said:

Yeah, not to mention what if one them gets injured? Or what if they have the chance to score, but instead choose to give an assist instead "Hey, nice pass, so good that I'm happy that 10,000 children won't have anything to eat tonight!".

And what if they score but VAR rules out the goal. "Sorry, no food for you!".

They should have just made a pledge to provide X amount of money and/or X amount of meals. Then maybe more on top of that should Neymar or Messi score. 

18 minutes ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

Plus basically, any goalkeeper making a save from them is denying 10,000 children food.

Löw has just announced who has not made the final cut from his squad and will not go to Russia.

From the goalkeepers Bernd Leno (Leverkusen) has been dropped, that was mildly surprising as I thought Trapp would be the odd man out. Thus Neuer will be the starting goalkeeper in Russia, ter Stegen will be back up and Trapp is the third keeüer. Jonathan Tah (Leverkusen) has been dropped from the defenders, that was somewhat expected as he was only supposed to fill in in case Boateng wouldn't be fit in time. From his forward options, Nils Petersen (Freiburg) has been dropped, which was also somewhat expected. But surprisingly Leroy Sane (Man City) has also been dropped. I thought Sane was pretty safe, as he brings qualities to the table that squad otherwise lacks (pace and dribbling skills).

That would be a strange signing for Arsenal. I've seen some reports linking you to N'Zonzi and Doucoure - those would make sense. Fellaini is a very limited player and only useful when played further up the pitch - basically as a secondary striker to hoof long balls to. He's only useful in a deeper midfield position as an easy way to beat the high press by, once again, hoofing long balls to him. Plus his wage demands will be a stumbling block. United have refused to meet his wage demands and reportedly AC Milan have been put off by this as well.

Very tough on Leroy Sane.  How much more could he have done this year?  I know Brandt and Draxler (not to pick on them) have more international experience and probably have more positional flexibility, but do they really offer more attacking threat, either as a starter or as an impact sub?  The German squad is just stacked with talent.  There are some very good German, French and Spanish players who can't get into their squad, never mind their team.

Just imagine if Arsenal do end up with Fellaini and Xhaka as their MF 2 in a 4-2-3-1.  It'll be fun to watch fast counter-attacks by-passing them for fun.

Archived