Football - To Russia with Löw

Philokles

Just now, Consigliere said:

And it has been confirmed. Zidane has stepped down. Reports saying that Joachimöw, Pochettino and Conte are being considered as replacements.

Pochettino's going nowhere, and I doubt they'll go for Conte after his piss-poor season.

3 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Pochettino's going nowhere, and I doubt they'll go for Conte after his piss-poor season.

One poor season doesn't make Conte a bad option though. He is still one of the top managers around. His more defensive style is probably a bigger barrier. 

ETA. Maybe Real won't balk at paying Sarri's release clause.

2 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Still though, haggling over €4m for their first choice replacement for Conte seems shortsighted. Then there is also the issue of Emenalo's position being left vacant for months. The Chelsea board aren't doing a very good job here especially considering the contract situations of Courtois and Hazard and the club doesn't even have CL football to offer next season. I've seen some reports (from not so reliable sources admittedly) that Chelsea have now turned their attention to Laurent Blanc.

Oh, I agree that we are being very badly run at the moment.

I'm baffled as anyone as to why they haven't directly replaced someone as influential as Emenalo was at the club. His role in overseeing the sporting / technical side of the club was a massive job - so big that there has to have been an enormous hole left when he resigned.

Courtois, Fabregas, Luiz, Pedro and Cahill all have one year left on their contract; players like Hazard, Willian and Azpilicueta only have two years left on theirs. It is very unlike Chelsea's board to have so many players - key players - with only one or two years left to run on their contracts.

I wouldn't fancy Blanc; I'd definitely prefer Sarri. But Zidane has been my first choice for a while now, and now that he is available, I really hope they shift their focus onto him.

As for Conte to Real Madrid, from the outside looking in, a Premier League title and an FA Cup in two seasons is very impressive. In terms of silverware alone and the value of said silverware, he's been the most successful manager in England the past two years. Finishing outside the top four takes shine off the FA Cup, but he still won the second most valuable domestic trophy in England during a poor season.

In terms of his style, we weren't a defensive team in 16/17. A counter attack team, yes, but definitely not defensive. Some of the football we played in 16/17 was the best I have ever seen Chelsea play. The 5-0 victory at home against Everton was the best performance I've ever seen from a Chelsea team.

His overly negative tactics this season come from the negative attitude he has had to the squad, which he deems to be too weak to compete against the teams around them. It goes along with his complaining about the strength and depth of the squad and 'lack' of investment in the summer narrative.

The demands he puts on the boards he works under would be the most obvious reason Real Madrid might be put off him.

Real Madrid might not even go for a big name manager. They might decide to promote from within again. I've read that Guti has been doing an exceptional job with Real Madrid's youth team.

ETA. or maybe even Solari who is manager of Real Madrid Castilla (Real's B team).

6 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Real Madrid might not even go for a big name manager. They might decide to promote from within again. I've read that Guti has been doing an exceptional job with Real Madrid's youth team.

What about Santiago Solari? Isn't he still working as the manager of Castilla?

ETA: Never mind, I see your own 'ETA'.

Smart move for Zidane, there's really no way but down for him at Real, and it isn't a club where you can build and rebuild a team for decades- he could survive a season with no CL or La Liga, but not two.

The next manager will have a tough job ahead- not only because it's impossible he'll top a manager that won 3 successive CLs, but because, assuming he isn't fired quickly, he'll have to transition the team away from Ronaldo eventually, and also dealing with an aging of the core that won 4 CLs- Ramos, Marcelo, Modric.

18 minutes ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

Lamps has been appointed as Derby manager

What is it with British clubs giving the manager post to anyone that knew how to kick a ball, even if they have no management experience or connection with the club?

Well, Derby is in the second tier of English football, so it's not like he has been handed his first job with a team in the Premier League. Seems fair enough that he starts in the Championship and tries to work his way up from there.

Chelsea have put their plans to build a new stadium on hold due to the 'current unfavourable investment climate'. 

2 hours ago, Consigliere said:

And it has been confirmed. Zidane has stepped down. Reports saying that Joachim Löw, Pochettino and Conte are being considered as replacements.

Löw just signed an extension, so I doubt he is interested in managing at a club level again (although Real as one of the biggest clubs around must be tempting). I also doubt he is available unless things go terribly wrong for the German team with an early elimination (group phase or first round of the k.o. stages).

Conte didn't exactly have a spectacular season at Chelsea, so I am not sure he has the right standing atm. Not saying he is a bad manager, but I imagine that he would look a bit underwhelming for Real fans. It would be tempting for him as Real would not shy away to give him funds for squad makeovers (probably less urgent than with Chelsea). Pochettino has done a great job at Spurs, but I'd think they want somebody who has bigger name/won something.

2 hours ago, JordanJH1993 said:

His overly negative tactics this season come from the negative attitude he has had to the squad, which he deems to be too weak to compete against the teams around them. It goes along with his complaining about the strength and depth of the squad and 'lack' of investment in the summer narrative.

With regards to negative tactics, they also signed Mourinho a few years ago. Real's squad is stronger and deeper than Chelsea's, and Madrid are not exactly shy to spend big cash for new toys.

8 minutes ago, Notone said:

With regards to negative tactics, they also signed Mourinho a few years ago. Real's squad is stronger and deeper than Chelsea's, and Madrid are not exactly shy to spend big cash for new toys.

I think Perez has learned from that. Not just appointing a more defensive minded coach but also someone who wants more autonomy. Mourinho was given more autonomy than any other manager under Perez and that didn't go so well. They even sacked Valdano because of Mourinho. Conte would want similar autonomy otherwise he might eventually start bitching and moaning like he did at Juve and now Chelsea. 

Well, that is Silva in. Checks a few boxes, in that he is young and attack-minded. 

Hope he’ll improve the youth at the club. I think there’s something to be had there. However, he does have a job ahead of him in finding replacement CBs (Funes Mori, Williams and, unfortunately, Keane seem to be not really good enough), LB (‘cause Baines isn’t getting any younger), attacking midfield (if we’re not building around Sigurdsson or Klaassen, which I doubt), and perpaps a striker (Niasse was a sub at Hull, which isn’t good enough a team aiming for Europe, and DCL needs to step up if he wants to be an alternative. He has promise, but isn’t something to build around just yet),

Walcott and Coleman are sound, Pickford is good, Gueye is solid and Tosun seems to be good enough. Holgate, Davies, Vlasic and (hopefully) Lookman should take the step up. 

Basically, my ramblings amount to «this will take a while, I think.»

Anyway, back to Karius and his howlers.

Just to point out that every goalkeeper is capable of producing total howlers, I decided to do a little youtube search on ter Stegen's. I already had one particular howler in mind, which he produced in his first cap on the senior level (at least I think it was his first game for Germany) against the USA. It's also the very first one in this video. I guess very few football fans would call him a bad keeper.

2 hours ago, Notone said:

Anyway, back to Karius and his howlers.

Sure, any keeper, no matter how good, can make an error. Here's Alisson, who seems to be the most widely touted as the ideal replacement, fumbling one into his own net.

Ideally I'd rather Karius hadn't made any mistakes at such key points in such a big game but if he'd just made the one I'd still be inclined to stick with him. That he made two big errors does concern me. The suggestion does seem to be that dwelling on the first goal lead to the third goal and I do think an important characteristic of a top goalkeeper is the ability to let go what's gone before and not compound errors.

I don't know really, he has been decent this year and it does feel harsh to judge any player on one game. If he's able to maintain the level he produced in the second half of the season is it really worth spending the £60 million plus it looks like it'd need to get a clearly better keeper to concede maybe a couple of less goals over the season? On the other hand I do think you'd have to worry about his mindset, both whether he has tendency to compound errors as I said and whether he can deal with the stick he's bound to get.

12 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

That he made two big errors does concern me. The suggestion does seem to be that dwelling on the first goal lead to the third goal and I do think an important characteristic of a top goalkeeper is the ability to let go what's gone before and not compound errors.

Which is true with regards to be able to shake it off. However with regards to Karius he has made a few good saves in between. I think the first goal got to him again after the third, in the sense that he realized that he had produced two major howlers. If Madrid had run the scoreboard after that, then this narrative would have had some credibility imo. But so it was one huge goalkeeping error (the third goal) and a total brain fart (the first). What I mean by that is the first not a traditional goalkeeping error (in a narrow sense) like jumping under a cross, bad positioning, or missing a pretty straightforward save, or letting a ball slip through the fingers (the basic technical goalkeeping stuff). It was a mighty howler nonetheless. The third one was a real goalkeeping error, as in getting the basic stuff wrong.

Archived