Philokles

Football - To Russia with Löw

10 minutes ago, Hereward said:

Looks like Chelsea might be looking for a new owner as well as a new manager. Excellent!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44332603

Hopefully they will return to their natural level of 10th-15th biggest club, except when ranking by arsehole, racist fans. 

Wonder if Abramovich would actually sell though. He could still run the club from outside England. If he does sell, Chelsea (or rather their parent company Fordstam) would have to repay that £1.17bn loan that is owed to Abramovich. Either that or any new potential owner(s) would have to foot the bill.

19 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Wonder if Abramovich would actually sell though. He could still run the club from outside England. 

He could, but why would he? If he leaves England, there's no real benefit for him in owning the club. 

35 minutes ago, mormont said:

He could, but why would he? If he leaves England, there's no real benefit for him in owning the club. 

Well, he could turn into one of those owners like the Glazers who just leech money from the club. He could also recall that loan. There's still money to be made from Chelsea.

20 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Wonder if Abramovich would actually sell though.

I think Abramovich is at a point where, even if he doesn't want to sell the club, he needs reconsider how the club is being run.

Ivan Gazidis said that finishing outside the top 4 in 16/17 was going to be a 'catalyst for change' for Arsenal. With that, Wenger's powers were gradually taken from him last season, as Arsenal created a managerial structure and appointed people to fill roles for tasks that Wenger previously completed along with coaching the team. They pushed Wenger out after another poor season and went through an extensive process to appoint a new manager, interviewing eight candidates.

Abramovich, if he is to remain as Chelsea owner, needs to lay out a clear managerial structure and needs to fill the void that has been left by Michael Emenalo's departure. Once that structure is in place, they need to ask themselves: do we want a clear footballing philosophy, and do we want to risk not winning the title every season at the expensive of playing a certain brand of football, while committing to the promotion of youth players to the first team? Chopping and changing managers has worked well at Chelsea in regards to delivering trophies alone, but that is all. Economically, it has cost the clubs millions of pounds paying out compensations to sacked managers, compensations to other clubs to take their managers, and completely overhauling the squad every time they appoint a new manager.

Abramovich should regard a four season period in which Chelsea finished 1st, 10th, 1st and 5th as their own catalyst for change. Clearly the yo-yoing of the club up and down the league table is an indicator that something is wrong behind the scenes, whether it be down to the people he has working for him who run the club, the styles / personalities of the managers they have been appointing, or the players being recruited by the club.

2 hours ago, ljkeane said:

I don’t agree with that. Decent goalkeeper stats are a bit hard to find but Karius has the same number of clean sheets in half the season, no errors leading to goals compared to 2 for Pickford, admittedly also only for half a season, and a better save percentage.

Some weird formatting on this end. Will look through the post later, to see what I left out. 

However, I think you should look wider. Before looking at stats, I would like you to consider the fact that Pickford constantly had at least one of Martina, Williams, Keane or Funes Mori ahead of him. Sometimes several of them. While Karius had VVD. Basically, being Pickford required goalkeeping in a rather more averse enviroment. 

Also, before looking at stats, Karius - for me - never gives off a feeling of «safe hands». He can produce great saves, but is still able to produce the kind of games he did before he was number one for half a season (short time span, that). And on top of that, the Kolarov shot and the Bale goal both point to either poor technique or lack of consentration. The former is bad, the latter - in the CL semi and final - is worse, I’d say.

Pickford makes mistakes, sure. So has Karius. But to my eyes, Pickford is a more assured keeper. Considering the calamitous defense we’ve had this year, that is a great achievement.  

1 hour ago, Consigliere said:

Well, he could turn into one of those owners like the Glazers who just leech money from the club. He could also recall that loan. There's still money to be made from Chelsea. 

I've always been convinced of the theory that a big part of the reason Abramovic bought Chelsea was to make himself so visible that if he ever fell out with Putin or other varieties of the wrong people Spripal'ing him would be a different proposition. If he's not able to be there week-to-week I'm not sure how much use it is to him for that anymore.

He certainly hasn't been just about leeching the money.

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Rorshach said:

Before looking at stats, I would like you to consider the fact that Pickford constantly had at least one of Martina, Williams, Keane or Funes Mori ahead of him. Sometimes several of them. While Karius had VVD.

That's a fair point. On the other hand with the way Liverpool defend, pressing with a high line, you'd expect them to concede fewer chances to shoot than teams that defend deep, like Everton under Allardyce, but the chances they do give up are often far more likely to result in a goal. That should give Pickford an advantage in save percentage.

Ideally you'd need something like the average xg per shot faced or something like that to compare but it's not something that's freely available so far as I can see. Regardless, it's certainly not clear cut Pickford's been better than Karius, it's actually leaning the other way on the objective numbers you can see.

And on top of that, the Kolarov shot and the Bale goal both point to either poor technique or lack of consentration. The former is bad, the latter - in the CL semi and final - is worse, I’d say.

Obviously the Bale attempted save was bad but the Kolarov one gets brought up a lot as criticism but I'm not convinced. He does get in a bad position but Kolarov has absolutely leathered it and it's moved a lot. It's not unreasonable to get into a bad position, that's going to happen sometimes, especially with shots as difficult to handle as that, the important thing is he found a way to make a save. It's a perfectly decent piece of goalkeeping for me.

I think that's part of the issue for me. Goalkeeping's quite a hard position to judge how well players are doing, it takes watching quite a lot of playing time to really assess, so when narratives catch on people don't really tend to keep a close watch on how a keeper's currently doing unless it's their own club or one they watch a lot. The narrative with Karius was he wasn't much good after his first spell so when he came back in there were loads of articles from journalists who probably don't watch him that much about how Liverpool need an upgrade when the reality was he actually had a good season.

Pickford makes mistakes, sure. So has Karius. But to my eyes, Pickford is a more assured keeper. Considering the calamitous defense we’ve had this year, that is a great achievement.  

I'm not saying Pickford's had a bad season, I think he's been decent. I just do think Karius has had a really good season up until the Champions League final which has been glossed over a bit by a lot of people.

Edited by ljkeane

I have actually played GK for three seasons - albeit at a much lower level. So I do know a little bit. The moving shots, I’ve experienced those. They are indeed hard to catch, but I don’t really credit him much with that save. Both than one and the one in the final are punching balls for me. Punch far, far away. Limp-wristed attempts, like he does, are more luck than skill if he saves them. 

I actually happened to (wrongly) click on the away game when I wanted to rewatch that, and there I saw another thing I can’t remember if have been mentioned. Is Dzeko Roma’s number 9? Anyway, number 9 score a goal after a Karius rebound which should never have been pushed where it was pushed. That’s a «push it round the post, son»-save, and Karius - while making a save - gives up another unnessecarily. 

Makes for too close inspection, really, and I’m not going to begrudge you having a soft spot for him. I think he’s decent, and ahead of Mignolet, but I wouldn’t trust him myself. I also happen to think that Pickford has better technique - but may be to aggressive at times, and his size is an issue. 

By the way, I’m not really sure that either of Pope, Fabianski or Foster would have improved Liverpool. They are different keepers, with different styles. I think they’ve all performed more assuredly than Karius this season, however.

2 hours ago, Rorshach said:

However, I think you should look wider. Before looking at stats, I would like you to consider the fact that Pickford constantly had at least one of Martina, Williams, Keane or Funes Mori ahead of him. Sometimes several of them. While Karius had VVD.  

He also had Lovren. Don't forget Lovren. :lol:

Posted (edited)

Talking about goalkeepers. Looks like Neuer will be Germany's goalkeeper in Russia. The final call will be made tomorrow after the friendly against Austria. That must kinda suck for ter Stegen, who will be forced to watch it from the bench. Looks like he will have to wait for Neuer to retire from international football (hopefully before the next WC from ter Stegen's perspective).

Also in today's presser, Löw pretty much shot down any rumors about him and Real. "That is something I can rule out."

Edited by Notone

France front 6 v Italy - Tolisso, Kante, Pogba, Mbappe-Lottin, Griezmann, Dembele.

Can any team in world football match that in value?

3 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

France front 6 v Italy - Tolisso, Kante, Pogba, Mbappe-Lottin, Griezmann, Dembele.

Can any team in world football match that in value?

Is this game on British TV?

10 minutes ago, JordanJH1993 said:

Is this game on British TV?

Not sure, i'm just following the score on BBC website.

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

Not sure, i'm just following the score on BBC website.

It was available live on the ESPN app.  Possibly only for Americans.  I took a look for a few minutes to see what the quality of the stream is like: the picture quality is excellent but the commentary is low key by a single voice (not a typical broadcast commentary) and no sound feed at all from the pitch or stadium.  So it felt kind of eerie and disconnected.  

6 hours ago, Rorshach said:

Some weird formatting on this end. Will look through the post later, to see what I left out. 

However, I think you should look wider. Before looking at stats, I would like you to consider the fact that Pickford constantly had at least one of Martina, Williams, Keane or Funes Mori ahead of him. Sometimes several of them. While Karius had VVD. Basically, being Pickford required goalkeeping in a rather more averse enviroment. 

Also, before looking at stats, Karius - for me - never gives off a feeling of «safe hands». He can produce great saves, but is still able to produce the kind of games he did before he was number one for half a season (short time span, that). And on top of that, the Kolarov shot and the Bale goal both point to either poor technique or lack of consentration. The former is bad, the latter - in the CL semi and final - is worse, I’d say.

Also, more importantly, looking at statistics doesn't tell you that Karius made arguably the biggest two goalkeeper blunders in a CL final ever (there might be worse ones than the 2nd, but the Benzema one is clearly #1), and those cost Liverpool the title. People who want him to continue are ignoring the psychological effect it has on him, as well as the rest of the team- even if they say otherwise, his teammates will NEVER trust Karius the same way again and insist on him will force the team to play every game without full trust in each other.

This will also lead to every single team that Liverpool faces to try to exploit this to their advantage- that means more shots from outside the area, more pressure on Karius every time he has the ball, opponent players trying to provoke him and make him nervous, supporters provoking him and trying to make him nervous, etc.  And every single mistake he makes, even if it's a small one, will be analyzed to the 10th degree, which in turn will put more pressure on Karius. Insist on him is quite simply complete non-sense.

That's one shitty PR campaign. If they have the resources then they should just donate those meals. Making it dependant on a couple of multi-millionaires scoring goals is idiotic.

13 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

That's one shitty PR campaign. If they have the resources then they should just donate those meals. Making it dependant on a couple of multi-millionaires scoring goals is idiotic.

Yeah, not to mention what if one them gets injured? Or what if they have the chance to score, but instead choose to give an assist instead "Hey, nice pass, so good that I'm happy that 10,000 children won't have anything to eat tonight!".

Just now, Winterfell is Burning said:

Yeah, not to mention what if one them gets injured? Or what if they have the chance to score, but instead choose to give an assist instead "Hey, nice pass, so good that I'm happy that 10,000 children won't have anything to eat tonight!".

And what if they score but VAR rules out the goal. "Sorry, no food for you!".

They should have just made a pledge to provide X amount of money and/or X amount of meals. Then maybe more on top of that should Neymar or Messi score.