y does dany have the best bond with Drogon

manchester_babe

I believe there are two reasons:  (1)  Daenerys is the equivalent of Aegon the Conqueror and Drogon is Balerion the Black Dread come again.  They go together.  Daenerys is the strongest of the three heads of the dragon and therefore should have the most powerful dragon.  (2)  Drogo's life force or soul if you will, is in Drogon.  He was a powerful man who never lost a battle.  Likewise, Balerion was the most powerful dragon that we know of.  It is fitting that his soul,his second life, is Drogon.  

Drogon is stronger than the other two dragons. Could be that his egg was from different mother-dragon, than Viseryon's and Rhaegel's. Either that, or black egg was bigger, and the other two smaller, because Drogon is a boy, and the other two are girls. If green and pale egg were from one mother, and the black egg from different, more ancient and thus also more powerful dragon, then Drogon was more powerful, than the other two, even before they all hatched. Thus Drogon's power, and his stronger connection with Dany, has absolutely nothing to do with soul of Dany's dead husband. Because if we will be using that principle, then Viseryon has a soul of Mirri Maz Durr, and Rhaegel has a soul of the second stallion, that was killed by Rakharo, for Drogo's funeral pyre. Though Dany saw Drogon in her dreams twice, months before the eggs hatched. Which means, that dragons don't have someone's souls, they already had souls, even before someone's life was sacrificed for the sake of the hatching.

Dany is closer to Drogon, because they formed a bond. One dragonrider can form a bond only with one dragon, and take another dragon only if the first one will die. The same thing with dragons. The bond between dragonrider and dragon is exclusive. So it's one X one, thus the other two dragons are not as close with Dany as Drogon. That's because Dany formed a bond only with him, furthermore it happened even before he hatched, during that first dragon dream, that she had prior her wedding. It was even before Illyrio gave her those dragon eggs. Drogon's soul reacher Dany's consciousness, even before she was given those dragon eggs. Obviously, that he had certain amount of power, even while he was still in the egg. And others two, at that stage, were still powerless. So Drogon, using his superior power, reached soul of a dragonblood/dragonlord, that was nearby - Dany, and formed a connection with that soul, sort of staked his claim on Dany, even before the other two dragons awakened. 

10 hours ago, Anck Su Namun said:

Drogo's life force or soul if you will, is in Drogon.  He was a powerful man who never lost a battle.  Likewise, Balerion was the most powerful dragon that we know of.  It is fitting that his soul,his second life, is Drogon.  

I agree with this.

The three dragons are named after Dany's husband and her two (known) brothers. (Unless Rhaegar is her father, but the dragon is named after Rhaegar, either way. Because her son was also named after Rhaegar, you could make a case that the third dragon is named after both Rhaegar and her son.)

Dany's bond with Drogon may have been determined when Khal Drogo melted his belt of gold medallions to make the molten "crown" for Viserys. This may have been an "only death can pay for life" scenario, as well as a "king's blood" sacrifice, with Viserys dying so that Drogo's "dragon" can be awoken. Joffrey Baratheon (whose role in foreshadowing is greatly underestimated) describes Viserys death as being inflicted by a dragon because, it is implied, gold coins are called dragons:

"Have you heard? The Beggar King is dead."

"Who?" For a moment Sansa was afraid he meant Robb.

"Viserys. The last son of mad King Aerys. He's been going about the Free Cities since before I was born, calling himself a king. Well, Mother says the Dothraki finally crowned him. With molten gold" He laughed. "That's funny, don't you think? The dragon was their sigil. It's almost as good as if some wolf killed your traitor brother. ..."

(ACoK, Sansa I)

Drogon is the only one of the three dragons to have matured outside, which we are told allows dragons to grow bigger. That is consistent with Dothraki beliefs as well:

That night, when Khal Drogo came, Dany was waiting for him. He stood in the door of her tent and looked at her with surprise. She rose slowly and opened her sleeping silks and let them fall to the ground. "This night we must go outside, my lord," she told him, for the Dothraki believed that all things of importance in a man's life must be done beneath the open sky.

(AGoT, Daenerys III)

So the bond with Drogon reflects Dany's growing love for, and bond with, Khal Drogo over the course of their marriage. As a wedding gift, he gave her "the wind" (her silver horse), foreshadowing that the dragon named for Drogo would allow her to fly on his back.

Drogon may be ready for a rider earlier than the other dragons, who have been cooped up, chained and fed sheep while the black dragon has roamed freely and hunted his own food. Of course, we learn at the end of ADwD that Quentyn and his companions did succeed in freeing the other two dragons from the pit inside the great pyramid. If they are not recaptured, they will presumably start to grow more quickly and will also be ready for riders.

Actually, I'm also curious how a "double edged sword" possibility might play out: on the one hand, Dany and Drogo's bond was strengthened and Drogo's dragon may have reached a new level of strength when Viserys was killed. On the other hand, I suspect wordplay involving "belt / lebt," the German word for "life," when Khal Drogo kills Viserys. He sacrificed his belt (life) to protect his wife and child from the violent and selfish Viserys. Does that mean that Drogon the dragon will have a price to pay now that Viserion the dragon has been released from his black cell?

He would stay with Drogo until the debt had been paid, until he had the crown he had been promised. "And if he tries to cheat me, he will learn to his sorrow what it means to wake the dragon," Viserys had vowed, laying a hand on his borrowed sword.

(AGoT, Daenerys III)

Drogon chose Dany in a way.  His birth order also fit the order of Dany's birth, the last, the third dragon.  Both of them possess very strong and wild personalities.  The dragon blood analogue to the wolf blood.  It is not different really.  Drogon could not be caged and neither can Dany be caged in vaes dothrak.  It's a perfect fit.  The event that brought the dragons back is very unusual and may be unprecedented in history so we can't say for sure.  The dragons nursed from Dany and followed her around from the beginning.  There was no traditional bonding ritual involved.  The relationship was already there because of the way the dragons came to life.  All three at once and hatched by one woman.   Drogon is also more aware of Dany's state of emotions than the other two.  He's prescient and precocious.  He knew without being told what to do in the House of the Undying.  He knew when to come to Daznak's Pit.  That doesn't seem to me the behavior of a baby dragon, but I could be wrong since we know little about them.  A lion cub would not have that kind of mental maturity at that relative age.  Baby animals play.  Drogon looks after his mother.  

I wouldn't say she plays favorites with her dragons. Drogon happened to be there when she needed escape from Meereen, so she flew away with him. If it was R or V, should would have done the same.

Other than that, same as above: Drogon is the biggest and strongest and most likely paid for life with Drogo's death. And this, of course, leads to the next obvious question: whose deaths paid for Rhaegel and Viserion?

1 hour ago, John Suburbs said:

Other than that, same as above: Drogon is the biggest and strongest and most likely paid for life with Drogo's death. And this, of course, leads to the next obvious question: whose deaths paid for Rhaegel and Viserion?

I think the main suspects would probably be Rhaego and Viserys.

Mirri and Drogo's horse as other possible shouts.

2 hours ago, Leo of House Cartel said:

My guess is Mirri into Rhaegel and Rhaego into Viserion.

I'm not sure if a horse's death would pay for a dragon's life. I'm sure it wouldn't pay for a human, otherwise the House of B&W would be filled with dead animal carcasses. 

15 hours ago, Anck Su Namun said:

Drogo's life force or soul if you will, is in Drogon.  He was a powerful man who never lost a battle.  Likewise, Balerion was the most powerful dragon that we know of.  It is fitting that his soul,his second life, is Drogon.  

Agreed.

3 hours ago, John Suburbs said:

I wouldn't say she plays favorites with her dragons. Drogon happened to be there when she needed escape from Meereen, so she flew away with him. If it was R or V, should would have done the same.

I share these opinions as well.  

2 hours ago, Leo of House Cartel said:

Drogon = Drogo

Rhaegal = Rhaegar or Rhaego

Viserion = Viserys

They were all the blood of kings in their own way.  The dragons are their second lives, which match up to the direwolves becoming the second lives of the Starks in the near future.  The only difference being the dragons were dead and no more than fossils and needed the 3 kings to die in order to supply the magic and the souls to bring them back to life.  

1 minute ago, Agent Orange said:

They were all the blood of kings in their own way.  The dragons are their second lives, which match up to the direwolves becoming the second lives of the Starks in the near future.  The only difference being the dragons were dead and no more than fossils and needed the 3 kings to die in order to supply the magic and the souls to bring them back to life.  

The only problem with using long-ago deaths to pay for lives in the present is that it messes up the Faceless Men's business model. If that were the case, anyone could put a hit on anyone else and the payment could be my mother's uncle's cousin's brother's grandfather who died a hundred years ago.

It seems to me that the dragon deaths have to have occurred in the pyre. Mirri was one, and if Drogo passed into Drogon even though his body was technically dead, then that would count as another -- something to do with the fact that his spirit still had not been freed to ascend into the nightlands. The only other possibility, then, is whatever remained of Rhaego, who, being Dothraki, would also not be completely dead until the pyre.

And then we look at the personalities of the dragons and we see Drogo clearly acting in the fierce, independent way of Drogo. Viserion, meanwhile, is very clingy with Dany, always climbing on her and craving attention, like a child desperate for his mother's love, while Rhaegal is rather aloof and distant, like she's not entirely trustful, even if she does not know exactly why.

14 minutes ago, John Suburbs said:

My guess is Mirri into Rhaegel and Rhaego into Viserion.

I'm not sure if a horse's death would pay for a dragon's life. I'm sure it wouldn't pay for a human, otherwise the House of B&W would be filled with dead animal carcasses. 

:D 

Yeah, the soul of Drogo's horse being responsible for one of the dragons would no doubt open up a whole can of hokey worms.

15 minutes ago, Agent Orange said:

Drogon = Drogo

Rhaegal = Rhaegar or Rhaego

Viserion = Viserys

I agree - love that direwolf comparison too.

Drogon is Drogo's second life. Rhaego is also in there. That is two heads. Dany will join them, she is the third. The first topic in my signature is the best (and first) explanation you'll find for it all.

Also worth pointing out Drogo is and will be Dany's true, first and only love. Dany is the alpha of the relationship, she is more khal and more dragon than him. The stockholm sydnrome narrative is nonsense projection.

So going by the idea that Drogo is the fiercest of the royal three that died, yeah.  Rhaegar and Rhaego never made it to king status.  Magic-wise it's probably not necessary, just that they had the blood of kings.  Viserys was a king and came from a long line of kings.  Khal Drogo also came from a line of "kings" and arguably more worthy because he had to earn his position through strength and cleverness.  He was undefeated, whereas Rhaegar lost badly at the Trident and never became king.  Rhaego is a prince and the heir to Westeros, but being heir does not make him king.  Viserys was a king but never earned it but only because of inheritance and he never got to rule.  Drogo was every bit as worthy if not more so than the other two men.  His wealth may have rivaled Rhaegar's if measured in Dothraki terms.  

22 hours ago, Megorova said:

Drogon is stronger than the other two dragons. Could be that his egg was from different mother-dragon, than Viseryon's and Rhaegel's. Either that, or black egg was bigger, and the other two smaller, because Drogon is a boy, and the other two are girls. 

None of this makes sense. 1. There is no evidence of the gender of our dragons, male or female. Also, considering Vhagar is confirmed as a female and was the largest dragon after Balerion's death, there is nothing to suggest males are bigger than females. (Note : Amongst some reptilian and avian species, females are bigger or the genders are exactly the same size). Different mother dragon is also random. You realize that children from the same parents end up different sizes in like every species right? My friend had two dogs (from the same litter), the male was smaller than te female by quite a bit. Heck, I have friends who are fraternal twins, and one is like 4 inches taller than the other with a thicker body type. There doesn't need to be a reason Drogon is bigger. She/he is just bigger.

On 5/19/2018 at 11:29 PM, Anck Su Namun said:

I believe there are two reasons:  (1)  Daenerys is the equivalent of Aegon the Conqueror and Drogon is Balerion the Black Dread come again.  They go together.  Daenerys is the strongest of the three heads of the dragon and therefore should have the most powerful dragon.  (2)  Drogo's life force or soul if you will, is in Drogon.  He was a powerful man who never lost a battle.  Likewise, Balerion was the most powerful dragon that we know of.  It is fitting that his soul,his second life, is Drogon.  

Would my True Love theory make sense?

22 minutes ago, manchester_babe said:

Well, Dany has this connection with him. 

Lol!  You kind of suck at putting content into your posts (and opening posts for most of the many threads you have started).  I'm trying to draw you out here.  Dany and Drogon definitely have a bond and a connection.  Where do you think it comes from?

On 5/19/2018 at 7:19 PM, manchester_babe said:

why is drogon dany's favourite dragon?

Because Drogon deserves it.  Drogon took the place of the son that she lost.  Drogon is the most devoted of the dragons to his mother.  Drogon is the Momma's Boy of the dragon world.  He loves his momma.  

Archived