Should the giant population have replenished sooner?

And this...

The World of Ice and Fire - Dorne: The Breaking

Even if we accept that the old gods broke the Arm of Dorne with the Hammer of the Waters, as the legends claim, the greenseers sang their song too late.
No more wanderers crossed to Westeros after the Breaking, it is true, for the First Men were no seafarers...but so many of their forebears had already made the crossing that they outnumbered the dwindling elder races almost three to one by the time the lands were severed, and that disparity only grew in the centuries that followed, for the women of the First Men brought forth sons and daughters with much greater frequency than the females of the elder races. And thus the children and the giants faded, whilst the race of men spread and multiplied and claimed the fields and forests for their own, raising villages and forts and kingdoms.

On 5/19/2018 at 10:03 PM, Varysblackfyre321 said:

It seems before the others the giants would have reached similar numbers before man came no? 

Also, unrelated sorta but why do you think Giants would help Bran the builder? I suspect he took them as slaves. Hench Umber sigil being that of one breaking his chains while dressed in cloths.

In this world, there is more than one kind of slavery and with it comes breaking the other kind of chains.

18 hours ago, Corvo the Crow said:

Umbers are also the best candidate for previous owners of Karstark lands, so they may have rebelled, the rebellion is put down and they lose lands but got better terms than they did like Dornish did so they have become "unchained".

Reasonble theory. I mean, a giant is the ultimate  physical ideal to what is a man taken to a extremity. The Umbers possibly to display to the world they are super manly. 

Also, to extrapolate on my previous speculation, some rumors on Giants were that Garth greenhand attempting to civilize the Giants. This could be completely bunk(after all there plenty of tales to which are spread without a lick of truth), but still something to ponder. 

Also a question the scarce resources, is Wun,Wun, the exceptional I that he is a vegetarian or is the norm? Because I imagine fruits and vegetables are going to be scarcer beyond the wall. Also I could understand why the Giants might assist in building the wall; it's a very clear boundary for the realms of men, and the realms not for men; I would guess the wall granted much needed refuge for them their prime hunters which were men;well at least powerful and more civilized  men

4 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Also, to extrapolate on my previous speculation, some rumors on Giants were that Garth greenhand attempting to civilize the Giants. This could be completely bunk(after all there plenty of tales to which are spread without a lick of truth), but still something to ponder. 

Also a question the scarce resources, is Wun,Wun, the exceptional I that he is a vegetarian or is the norm? Because I imagine fruits and vegetables are going to be scarcer beyond the wall. Also I could understand why the Giants might assist in building the wall; it's a very clear boundary for the realms of men, and the realms not for men; I would guess the wall granted much needed refuge for them their prime hunters which were men;well at least powerful and more civilized  men

It is generally held that all apes are vegetarian and that it is just us humans that opt in for meat, but in recent years some apes are recognized as meat eaters.  But the flesh they consume is mostly grubs and insects.  Real life North supports a variety of large mammals such as caribou and polar bears and in the past mastadons and wooly mammoth so maybe huge humanoids could also survive?

10 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Beyond the Wall isn't some frozen wasteland.

Before Mance, Varamyr Sixskins had been a lord of sorts. He lived alone in a hall of moss and mud and hewn logs that had once been Haggon's, attended by his beasts. A dozen villages did him homage in bread and salt and cider, offering him fruit from their orchards and vegetables from their gardens. His meat he got himself. Whenever he desired a woman he sent his shadowcat to stalk her, and whatever girl he'd cast his eye upon would follow meekly to his bed. Some came weeping, aye, but still they came. Varamyr gave them his seed, took a hank of their hair to remember them by, and sent them back. From time to time, some village hero would come with spear in hand to slay the beastling and save a sister or a lover or a daughter. Those he killed, but he never harmed the women. Some he even blessed with children. Runts. Small, puny things, like Lump, and not one with the gift.

On May 22, 2018 at 10:07 PM, White Ravens said:

It is generally held that all apes are vegetarian and that it is just us humans that opt in for meat, but in recent years some apes are recognized as meat eaters.  But the flesh they consume is mostly grubs and insects.  Real life North supports a variety of large mammals such as caribou and polar bears and in the past mastadons and wooly mammoth so maybe huge humanoids could also survive?

Vegetarian is I feel is slightly inaccurate;  a lot of apes do primarely eat plant based food but there are those who've a very small portion of meat in their diet.

I kinda thought of a Gorrila when thinking of Wun Wun being a vegetarian. 

I have to wonder if George did this knowing most apes are primarely plant eaters. 

I know he's not a zoologist or anything like that but I don't know it'd be a nice touch.

On May 23, 2018 at 4:21 AM, Corvo the Crow said:

Beyond the Wall isn't some frozen wasteland.

I didn't say beyond the wall was some frozen-I said I felt vegetables and fruits may be scarcer beyond the wall-not that they didn't exist. If the Giants are vegetarian I imagine if my feeling is right that can also hinder the Giants replenish in their population. I honestly don't know. 

Archived