a request to the "Melders"

Yaya

Am I wrong?  It seems to me that the HBO SERIES is becoming "factual" on this side of the board - it is getting out of control.
Is there no other forum for the "Melders" to consider their NON-CANON discussions or theories?

PLEASE, everyone, keep to the BOOKS here in this part of the messge board.
I want to read BOOK REALATED theories, speculation, analysis and thoughts and it's getting all mucked up out here in the NOVELS forum.

No offense to the "Melders" as your enthusiasm is truly wonderful and I am not mocking nor knocking your theories or anything like that.  All that is requested is that an amount of consideration be a part of your process in posting/commeting in this, the NOVELS section of this board.

Thank-you very much.

I have no problem with someone saying "this happened in the show, can it work in the books as well?" But it gets silly when people start citing "evidence" in the show to "prove" their theories in the books, despite the fact that no such thing exists in the books.

1 hour ago, Yaya said:

Am I wrong?  It seems to me that the HBO SERIES is becoming "factual" on this side of the board - it is getting out of control.
Is there no other forum for the "Melders" to consider their NON-CANON discussions or theories?

I want to read BOOK REALATED theories, speculation, analysis and thoughts and it's getting all mucked up out here in the NOVELS forum.

No offense to the "Melders" as your enthusiasm is truly wonderful and I am not mocking nor knocking your theories or anything like that.  All that is requested is that an amount of consideration be a part of your process in posting/commeting in this, the NOVELS section of this board.

Thank-you very much.

Where does the term Melders come from? :laugh:

Also, cool avatar.

2 minutes ago, Light a wight tonight said:

Because it turns into fan fic rather than an actual discussion of the books. There are forums for fan fic. 

If that is what you think then isn't any "theory" about where the story is going or reinterpretation of what we think we know "fanfiction"?

Agree to disagree?

A simple solution to issues like this is to report posts that do this. As others have noted, the book forums should not be a place where events of the show should be discussed.

1 hour ago, Trigger Warning said:

I don't really see it, whenever anyone brings up the show or mixes up show and novel information they get shut down pretty quickly. 

That's my take as well.  Pretty much any time that someone tries to reference the show they get called on it pretty quick.

Not sure if this is what the OP means, but a few days ago there were 3 different Shireen burning threads which treated the event as a given. Show Stannis and book Stannis were also combined in awkward ways in those threads which was confusing as the characters are very different.

Thanks to everyone for the replies ... Lollygag nailled a great example - the posts like those regarding Shireen. 

It is true that the topic posts with obvious show references are moved or commented to readily enough - but some people regularly post replies or enter discussions with "fake news" .

And furthermore - most of the usuals here keep the 88's straight :)

It's very annoying when it happens, but I'd say those are shut down/moved pretty quickly. I don't want to hear about the abomination,  preferably, not ever again! :D

I always warn posters, but if they don't fix their posts I sure as hell report. Overall I think it's been pretty good, how separate both are being kept around here. :)

8 hours ago, Yaya said:

Opinion --- individuals want to make theories. Since 2016 all that is available is the thing that cannot be mentioned in the book forum. Opinion ----- individuals are influenced by what they have watched.  Opinion ---- individuals sometimes need to be reminded that what they saw is not what they read.

8 hours ago, Yaya said:

Thank-you very much.

after years of the content being known and dissected, and the fact that we are pushing a decade between book releases, the thing we shall not mention has become the last possible source for discussion that has not been over discussed since 2013.  

7 hours ago, Light a wight tonight said:

It's actually against the rules here to bring the show in. IMO it should be extended to Preston Jacobs and the Green Hand crew, and other non-book sources.

I support this 

7 hours ago, Ylath's Snout said:

As long as the theory video is based on the books why shouldn't it be fine?

but it never is when it comes to videos. especially PJ's 

6 hours ago, Light a wight tonight said:

Because it turns into fan fic rather than an actual discussion of the books. There are forums for fan fic. 

Bingo 

Even if they are shut down quickly, comments that include show content greatly undermine my enjoyment of the discussion.

For instance, inadvertently hearing that a character had died in the show completely scuttled a theory I had been exploring that involved that character. I suppose it's still possible that character will make it to the end (or near to the end) in the books, but the damage to my imagination had been done.

Another example happened yesterday in a different way. I wanted to check a detail about Ser Jorah infiltrating Mereen through the sewer system. I googled it and meant to go to the ASOIAF wiki but mistakenly opened the HBO wiki. Within three sentences, I had learned something completely fabricated about Jorah's plotline. My first response was to die a little bit inside. Hours later, I felt the plot development was so stupid and soap opera-ish that I can disregard it altogether. In the future, I'll be more careful about reading any content on the HBO wiki but my point is -- in support of the op here -- that show content is a complete and total drag.

I had had the same response to all the recent "Shireen burning" posts. I avoid them but why are they all here, thinly veiled as book topics?

I don't want to have to report posts that bring in show content. I want them to go somewhere else.

Aye aye Seams - this is a great example of " out of control".
You are correct - some content does damage the imagination, good summarization. 

I also feel that we have LOST a number of GREAT posters on this board because of this HBO TAINT.  Some people with awesome ideas don't visit here anymore as a result of the radical insistace of some of the Melders.  Sad face.

And I too, do not want to report threads; as a result I simply avoid readiing every post (once  upon a time I used to read everything) and I totally avoid certain authors because of their meldinig content.

Thanks for the comments everyone - I'm hopeful!

4 hours ago, Seams said:

Even if they are shut down quickly, comments that include show content greatly undermine my enjoyment of the discussion.

For instance, inadvertently hearing that a character had died in the show completely scuttled a theory I had been exploring that involved that character. I suppose it's still possible that character will make it to the end (or near to the end) in the books, but the damage to my imagination had been done.

Another example happened yesterday in a different way. I wanted to check a detail about Ser Jorah infiltrating Mereen through the sewer system. I googled it and meant to go to the ASOIAF wiki but mistakenly opened the HBO wiki. Within three sentences, I had learned something completely fabricated about Jorah's plotline. My first response was to die a little bit inside. Hours later, I felt the plot development was so stupid and soap opera-ish that I can disregard it altogether. In the future, I'll be more careful about reading any content on the HBO wiki but my point is -- in support of the op here -- that show content is a complete and total drag.

I had had the same response to all the recent "Shireen burning" posts. I avoid them but why are they all here, thinly veiled as book topics?

I don't want to have to report posts that bring in show content. I want them to go somewhere else.

I agree 1000%. Just this past week I have seen references to things in threads that somehow "confirm" what happens in the books, to which I can only laugh. And I was a tad confused about a few of the mentions and had to look them up in the wiki or search site (for my modern rapid ease) only to find out that it is NOT book information at all.

In general these are a few recent issues I have come up against...

Spoiler
  • Selyse and her "many sons"
  • which goes with the Shireen burning thing
  • Dragon Bay, or, Bay of Dragons
  • Daenerys dressing up as Val and her braid blah, blah, blah...

It's all part of the show Plotzee!

1 minute ago, Yaya said:

I also feel that we have LOST a number of GREAT posters on this board because of this HBO TAINT.  Some people with awesome ideas don't visit here anymore as a result of the radical insistace of some of the Melders.  Sad face.

And I too, do not want to report threads; as a result I simply avoid readiing every post (once  upon a time I used to read everything) and I totally avoid certain authors because of their meldinig content.

I know what you mean about losing some great posters. I have mentioned this to other friends as well. Now, some of those posters were a little extreme, but sometimes I will take extreme over the rampant trolling we are left with.

And, you're welcome :cheers:

2 hours ago, Yaya said:

You are likely right about some GREAT posters leaving the board because of melders but general attrition is just going to happen when the wait for Winds goes on for this many years.  Sooner or later you feel like you've read enough speculation. 

Probably the most frustrating thing for me is when people treat book characters and show characters plot devices as interchangeable, either because they’ve not realized the significance of this or it’s just been a while since they’ve read the books and the memory gets jumbled. Discussion of character in such cases becomes almost impossible, especially the greater the differences.

Plot device show Jon/Westerosi Jesus has bled into book Jon as have a number of characters and it’s quite frustrating. I also think the show characters plot devices are the source of or have exacerbated at least some of character hate problems on the forum right now. While I quite like book Jon, Westerosi Jesus is aggravating and sooooooo boring and I struggle to keep my interpretation from bleeding over onto book Jon sometimes despite my best efforts.

Archived