U.S. Politics; Who Watches the Watchers?

LongRider

52 minutes ago, Notone said:

I know, I will get some flak for that. But isn't the role of cheerleaders to get "pimped out" in some form anyway?

Before the righteous boarders gather with forks and torches. What the Redskins did there, went beyond what I mean getting pimped out as part of the job describtion and what the poor women had to do in Costa Rica is beyond the pale.

But what I meant with cheerleaders getting pimped out is this. The actual job describtion for cheerleaders looks to me something like this. Attractive young women, show a lot of skin to entertain/animate a bunch dudes during the commercial break of a sport event.  So their physical attributes are used to help sell the product.

Maybe some US sports fan will correct me on this and tell me my perception of the cheerleader role is wrong.

This is the worst take.

11 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

What's your point?  That because they are essentially paid to be athletic models that dance and do tricks.... What exactly?  Where are you going with this?  So because that's their job ...what? 

I just questioned the role of cheerleaders in general. They appear to be essentially (sex) objects to promote a sport. They themselves play no part in the main event (by themselves). Next step would be to question your average US sports fans viewing habits, that you feel like you need some barely dressed women to enjoy a sport. Or why almost any given highschool has a cheerleading squad. It transports a certain image of women, how they should look like, what they should be doing.

My personal opinion on the matter is, simply abolish the cheerleaders.

What's the deal with Kushner's restored security clearance?    Are there any implications to draw from this regarding the never-ending parade of criminal shit he's caught up in that Mueller's (and I guess NYS is also) investigating?  I get that the administration wants us to believe this means he's innocent, but, I mean, like every story about this chucklefuck is a report on how manipulating him is apparently the easiest fucking thing in the world because he's an idiot and also super desperate for money (that 666 5th Ave mortgage specifically).  So he still kind of seems like a liability, right?

1 minute ago, butterbumps! said:

What's the deal with Kushner's restored security clearance?    Are there any implications to draw from this regarding the never-ending parade of criminal shit he's caught up in that Mueller's (and I guess NYS is also) investigating?  I get that the administration wants us to believe this means he's innocent, but, I mean, like every story about this chucklefuck is a report on how manipulating him is apparently the easiest fucking thing in the world because he's an idiot and also super desperate for money (that 666 5th Ave mortgage specifically).  So he still kind of seems like a liability, right?

Who knows. FBI says WH has the full ability to make determination whether he gets clearance or not, they just do the background check. In any other administration, there is no chance a guy who left billions off his finance forms and had to update it 40+ times to add 100+ foreign contacts, would get a full security clearance, especially when it seems clear he gave information to the Saudi Prince about who was against him based on information from the President's Briefing.

3 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Who knows. FBI says WH has the full ability to make determination whether he gets clearance or not, they just do the background check. In any other administration, there is no chance a guy who left billions off his finance forms and had to update it 40+ times to add 100+ foreign contacts, would get a full security clearance, especially when it seems clear he gave information to the Saudi Prince about who was against him based on information from the President's Briefing.

Oh ok, so it really comes down to Trump and pretty much only Trump?  I think I didn't understand that, because Trump was obviously unhappy when the security clearance was pulled, so I assumed (perhaps erroneously) he wasn't in complete control over it.  I recall John Kelly had something to do with it back then, but perhaps he's being overruled now.   So hypothetically, if the FBI uncovered incontrovertible evidence that he was selling state secrets to foreign powers in exchange for taking that mortgage on 666, they would make that report to Trump and Trump could decide to give Kushner the top security clearance anyway?

3 minutes ago, butterbumps! said:

Oh ok, so it really comes down to Trump and pretty much only Trump?  I think I didn't understand that, because Trump was obviously unhappy when the security clearance was pulled, so I assumed (perhaps erroneously) he wasn't in complete control over it.  I recall John Kelly had something to do with it back then, but perhaps he's being overruled now.   So hypothetically, if the FBI uncovered incontrovertible evidence that he was selling state secrets to foreign powers in exchange for taking that mortgage on 666, they would make that report to Trump and Trump could decide to give Kushner the top security clearance anyway?

I believe this is true. The President has complete control over classification so he can show anyone anything he wants. If he tells John Kelly to get it done in terms of getting Kushner his clearance back, there isn't much Kelly can do to stop that from my understanding.

3 hours ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Also I wish cheerleaders would unionize and sue the sh*t out of them.

I would assume that the NFL had them sign arbitration agreements, and now thanks to MConnell and Gorsuch, that ain't gonna happen.  Unfortunately. 

34 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Nothing dodgy at all for the WH Lawyer and Chief of Staff to sit in on a classified briefing into an investigation of their client and boss. Nothing dodgy at all.

This whole damn week is depressing. Rosenstein should not haved caved to Trump’s demands. 

These guys have no real shame. It's amazing how all this is in the open. Can you imagine any other lawyer saying they wanted to go to a classified briefing on an investigation into their client to learn what the prosecutors have prior to any changes being filed? And be allowed?

2 hours ago, Notone said:

I know, I will get some flak for that. But isn't the role of cheerleaders to get "pimped out" in some form anyway?

Before the righteous boarders gather with forks and torches. What the Redskins did there, went beyond what I mean getting pimped out as part of the job describtion and what the poor women had to do in Costa Rica is beyond the pale.

But what I meant with cheerleaders getting pimped out is this. The actual job describtion for cheerleaders looks to me something like this. Attractive young women, show a lot of skin to entertain/animate a bunch dudes during the commercial break of a sport event.  So their physical attributes are used to help sell the product.

Maybe some US sports fan will correct me on this and tell me my perception of the cheerleader role is wrong.

Cheerleading was more Male oriented at the start (G.W Bush was one at Yale), and purpose is to keep fans excited. I think the Redskins were the first (as far as the NFL) to have female cheerleaders though they were quite modestly dressed at the time. The Cowboys were the one that made them sex objects and that is way it kind of went at the Professional level at least. You can make an arguement some of this occurred due to TV which is more visual and attractive women do get eyeballs.

2 hours ago, Notone said:

Being pimped to do sex with guys that the team owners tell them to 'be nice to' is a very different thing from dancing, cheering, doing gymnastics in cute, skimpy costumes, and really really really different than showing up and doing cheer routines for sick kids in hospitals, etc.  If you can't tell the difference you are in real big trouble.

5 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Being pimped to do sex with guys that the team owners tell them to 'be nice to' is a very different thing from dancing, cheering, doing gymnastics in cute, skimpy costumes, and really really really different than showing up and doing cheer routines for sick kids in hospitals, etc.  If you can't tell the difference you are in real big trouble. 

First of, read again what I wrote. I already said in that quote, what happened in Costa Rica went beyond what I meant by getting pimped out as part of the job.

Far from me to question your viewing habits, and why you think attractive women in sexy outfits have to part of a sporting event. But that goes towards the objectification of women, and what I meant by getting pimped out.

35 minutes ago, Mexal said:

These guys have no real shame. It's amazing how all this is in the open. Can you imagine any other lawyer saying they wanted to go to a classified briefing on an investigation into their client to learn what the prosecutors have prior to any changes being filed? And be allowed?

And now Rudy is saying Trump should do the Mueller interview. Looks like he learned something which made him happy.

Just seen a news segment about a young black women being murdered. Thats it. No name, nothing. What has happened to the media and journalism in this country? Id like to know the name, not, "A black lady was murdered".

15 minutes ago, Esmenet said:

Just seen a news segment about a young black women being murdered. Thats it. No name, nothing. What has happened to the media and journalism in this country? Id like to know the name, not, "A black lady was murdered".

So there was a useless and uninformative news report, and you rushed here to tell us. We'll just take your word for it that some unnamed news organization published an unprofessional report and that's somehow an indictment of modern journalism.

6 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

So there was a useless and uninformative news report, and you rushed here to tell us. We'll just take your word for it that some unnamed news organization published an unprofessional report and that's somehow an indictment of modern journalism.

No, I never rushed here to tell thia news. Its just poor journalism to do so. Doesn't the victim matter? Shouldnt we learn her name and what was taking from the world. It just seemed very bad reporting and shows how far the media has went from news, to entertainment. Why the hostility and smart remarks? 

8 minutes ago, Esmenet said:

No, I never rushed here to tell thia news. Its just poor journalism to do so. Doesn't the victim matter? Shouldnt we learn her name and what was taking from the world. It just seemed very bad reporting and shows how far the media has went from news, to entertainment. Why the hostility and smart remarks? 

While the hostility is a little intense, there is really nothing anyone can respond too without seeing the news story themselves.  Do you have a link or something to provide?

Archived