U.S. Politics; Who Watches the Watchers?

LongRider

59 minutes ago, Sword of Doom said:

Looking forward means also rectifying past horrors, something this country counties to refuse to do. They can not come on tiny end to sweep shit under the rug.  That has allowed republicans to act how they act. There's is no accountability for their horrendous actions.

Stop playing nice with scumfuck politicians and law enforcement officers and letting them off the hook. 

Also, Elon Musk is a bigoted piece of fucking garbage. Not a shocker given he had no issue working with Trump, and that he grew up in apartheid South Africa.

https://mobile.twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1000560049389907969

Come on. You write a lot of stupid stuff on these boards but this is worse than usual. This is the comment he was replying to: 

You're very smart so I want you to think about this for a second. Do you think it's in the interest of powerful people to A: support a free press that exposes their lies, or B: tear it down so their lies are easier to tell? Now ask yourself why the polls would look bad. 

To which he replied: 

Who do you think *owns* the press? Hello. 

It is clear from the context that he was talking about powerful people (i.e. the super wealthy), not Jews...  

Now whether Elon Musk's idea of rating journalists in order to prevent fake news is a good one, that is a different question. 

4 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

I don’t think that’s a fair thing to say. The fact is, people are incompetent, or lazy, or going through a crisis, and they fail to do things they are supposed to do. I was shocked when I first saw the stories, but I agree with Fez. There will be some bad stories about some kids, but the rest will be ok, their adults were being irresponsible for some reason.

WHAT IN THE WORLD ARE YOU SAYING?  You are holding the parents of these lost children responsible for dumbster and Homeland Security LOSING those children.  The people who are responsible for this are NOT the parents, but trump, the head of homeland security and his other agents running his agencies.

2 hours ago, Triskele said:

After Obama won there was a discussion about whether Bush or any folks should be charged with war crimes, and Obama was all like "It's time to look forward."

Assuming we ever have elections again and if the Dems get back into power are we going to do the "it's time to move forward" again?  The inclination towards revenge is going to be stronger this time than it was after Bush, I recon.

One of the distinguishing characteristics of American democracy is that the transition of power is carried out without recriminations towards those leaving power. I would be surprised if an exception was this was made for Trump & Co. -- they might be outsiders, but the existence of such an exception for them means that the rule is not absolute and increases the probability that the next outside will not leave power peacefully. It suspect it's not worth it.

33 minutes ago, Zorral said:

WHAT IN THE WORLD ARE YOU SAYING?  You are holding the parents of these lost children responsible for dumbster and Homeland Security LOSING those children.  The people who are responsible for this are NOT the parents, but trump, the head of homeland security and his other agents running his agencies.

He is blaming foster parents and the like, not the parents that had children torn from them. Not that I agree. Trump and Sessions are to blame for this.

2 hours ago, Sword of Doom said:

Cops in Wildwood NJ beat a woman that was in a choked hold. Punched her in the head. The shitbag mayor justifies it by saying she provoked them. 

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/05/video-busts-cops-beach-punching-underage-woman-head-passes-breathalyzer-test/

Yeah, this seams to have civil liberties violations written over all it. Hopefully the young woman in question will be able to section 1983 his ass and/or his department.

I'm not sure, at what point, he ever developed anything like reasonable suspicion or probable cause to detain her person. And certainly I don't see how him getting a bit salty over her comment justifies detaining her further.

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

Don't be silly, of course I'm not talking about their parents, I'm talking about the foster parents.

What homeland security is doing is disgusting, no question about it. But what both sides do, I've observed, is grossly exaggerate what's happened. There were children found working on an egg farm, I understand. But to suggest that all 1,425 missing children are working as slaves somewhere is really unfair, as was your attack on Fez. People are idiots. They move and don't file proper change of address forms. 

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

Don't be silly, of course I'm not talking about their parents, I'm talking about the foster parents.

What homeland security is doing is disgusting, no question about it. But what both sides do, I've observed, is grossly exaggerate what's happened. There were children found working on an egg farm, I understand. But to suggest that all 1,425 missing children are working as slaves somewhere is really unfair, as was your attack on Fez. People are idiots. They move and don't file proper change of address forms. 

That wasn't made in the least bit what YOU wrote.  You wrote PARENTS.  Those people You and Fez think this is no thing.  That's what's unfair.

Just in case you thought Jews couldn't be nazi sympathizers, Roseanne Barr becomes a modern example of one. 

And ABC lets her have a fucking platform to spew her horrendous bigotry. Oh, and ABC had no issue not airing an episode of Blackish that talked about the kneeling protests.

White supremacist shithole of a nation.

50 minutes ago, Zorral said:

That wasn't made in the least bit what YOU wrote.  You wrote PARENTS.  Those people You and Fez think this is no thing.  That's what's unfair.

Nope.  She wrote 'adults.'  It seemed pretty clear she was talking about who ever had custody while the parents were incarcerated.  

2 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Those kids on the egg farm were forced to work under threat of death. And there are clearly other cases.

They purposely started cutting down on the screening of the foster parents/sponsors. Things like fingerprinting, background checks, etc.

AP: Feds imperiled many migrant kids during surge

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ap-feds-imperiled-many-migrant-kids-during-surge/

Weber said the ORR has added more home visits and background checks since July, when federal prosecutors charged sponsors and associates with running a trafficking ring in rural Ohio that forced six unaccompanied minors to work on egg farms. Lured north with the promise of an education, the teens instead were forced to work under threats of death for up to 12 hours a day.

Since the rule changes, the AP has identified more than two dozen children who were placed with sponsors who subjected them to sexual abuse, labor trafficking, or severe abuse and neglect.

"This is clearly the tip of the iceberg," said Jacqueline Bhabha, research director at the FXB Center for Health and Human Rights at Harvard University. "We would never release domestic children to private settings with as little scrutiny."

1 hour ago, Martell Spy said:

Those kids on the egg farm were forced to work under threat of death. And there are clearly other cases.

They purposely started cutting down on the screening of the foster parents/sponsors. Things like fingerprinting, background checks, etc.

Fuck and that article is from two years ago.  I totally missed that.

So there's the reduced oversight of sponsors through ORR going back to the surge, and then Trump and co doubling down and sending even more minors into the program because he's arresting the parents.  

Fucking hell.

4 hours ago, Sword of Doom said:

Just in case you thought Jews couldn't be nazi sympathizers, Roseanne Barr becomes a modern example of one. 

And ABC lets her have a fucking platform to spew her horrendous bigotry. Oh, and ABC had no issue not airing an episode of Blackish that talked about the kneeling protests.

White supremacist shithole of a nation.

Oh dear Crom, she's Jewish? That's even more fucked up then I could imagine then.

4 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

I have to agree that is worse than the recent story I saw. The story does say that the government was trying to deal with 89,000 unaccompanied children and they had to be placed within three days. That they were desperately trying to find placements for so many children obviously led to problems.

This has been a long, ongoing story, about parents sending their children alone to cross the border, because of the relatively good treatment they received under Obama. 

But I have a question - is this the same story we are talking about? The comments I have been seeing have been about children taken away from their parents by border security, and then, accusers say, ‘sold’ into slavery under the guise of being ‘lost’ in the system. 

Commentators are saying parents with their children are being separated at the border and the children seized (the policy I said was disgusting) and almost 1500 of these children have been ‘lost’ and the government has placed them in the hands of traffickers, which is what I mean about how both sides in the US exaggerate stories. The story you linked talks about how stressed and overwhelmed US authorities have been with the massive number of unaccompanied children that have entered the US over the last decade, and standards had become extremely lax. Are the 1500 part of the 89,000, or are they children who have crossed the US border since Trump was president? Which is it, because as far as I can tell the two stories are being conflated.

And if Fez’s real life experience is that more than 20% of participants in programs regularly don’t report in or respond to follow-up calls, that means the number should be 17,800 missing children, a number no one seems to claim. The biggest number in your link suggests 3,400 sponsors with criminal records, not even 3,400 children.

If you are shocked at the stories mentioned in that link, you’ve obviously not paid attention to stories about social services in cities across the country and the issues investigative reporters regularly uncover about the mistreatment of children in care. None of those cities have had to deal with thousands of unaccompanied children every year, children who can’t speak English and have no links to the community.

Umm, the truth doesn't matter. What about that are you people not getting? Seriously? 150 quintillion kids got sold into slavery. Or 150, or none. 

Pick a number, any number, and respond however you want. This isn't about truth anymore, truth is dead. 

Or keep trying to play hockey with no stick and skates, whatever gets you off.

1 hour ago, felice said:

This seems to be a pretty good thread on the issue:

https://twitter.com/jduffyrice/status/1000927903759110144

Thank-you! That’s an excellent thread!

2 hours ago, Pony Empress Jace said:

Umm, the truth doesn't matter. What about that are you people not getting? Seriously? 150 quintillion kids got sold into slavery. Or 150, or none. 

Pick a number, any number, and respond however you want. This isn't about truth anymore, truth is dead. 

Or keep trying to play hockey with no stick and skates, whatever gets you off.

What matters is the truth, and a whole lot of bullshit is is being spun.

1 minute ago, Fragile Bird said:

Thank-you! That’s an excellent thread!

What matters is the truth, and a whole lot of bullshit is is being spun.

I love ya bird, i fucking love ya. 

But you're stuck in the past. Truth ain't never coming back. What we did? Societies don't come back from making gods out of rats.

Archived