U.S. Politics; Who Watches the Watchers?

LongRider

1 hour ago, Mexal said:

My only thing is--no matter how much the walls close in on Trump--is that nothing can really be done if the Senate doesn't have the moral guts to try and convict. What can be done? This is the specific check and balance against Trump. If the judiciary says, "you have to do...(something)," all Trump has to say is, "No." What will they do without a conviction from the Senate?

1 hour ago, ThinkerX said:

I seem to recollect that Gowdy was among a select few congressmen offered a briefing by intelligence professionals a few weeks back on the whole Russian collusion scheme, purportedly rooted in reality.  Don't know if he accepted, but if so, perhaps that has a bit to do with this decision. 

Yea, this happened last week. Gowdy, along with Nunes, Burr, McConnell and some Democrats attended a classified briefing on the confidential informant. The Dems said nothing was wrong. Nunes didn't comment and now Gowdy is saying nothing was wrong. Rubio said nothing was wrong as well. That won't stop Trump but it's pretty clear there was nothing wrong.

24 minutes ago, Simon Steele said:

My only thing is--no matter how much the walls close in on Trump--is that nothing can really be done if the Senate doesn't have the moral guts to try and convict. What can be done? This is the specific check and balance against Trump. If the judiciary says, "you have to do...(something)," all Trump has to say is, "No." What will they do without a conviction from the Senate?

This is true. Nothing can really be done unless the Senate and House are willing to go through impeachment. But I still want a report issued about how bad this shit is so it at least puts pressure on the Republicans.

11 hours ago, Zorral said:

Yes, I read it, and does imply ... quite a few things, and tells quite a few more, including that nobody knows anything really about the gift shop, or even where, these days, the moola goes . . . .

Or, if you read the article and the link it provided that the gift shop was part of the secret service until 2013, upon which it was sold to a private individual.  So the "corporatisation" was under Obama (although it was always arms length from the actual white house) and it is now a private entity separate from the white house.  

Blaming anything there on Trump is ridiculous.  

Seems like ABC axing Roseanne over the racist tweet was not regarded as likely by the commentariat since Rosanne was making ABC a ton of money. Clearly positioning Roseanne as a pro-Trump every-woman had a substantial audience, and since Roseanne is paying herself it was a genuine show in this respect, so doubly attractive to those who are like-minded. It was clearly a substantial and reliable audience and perhaps a template for future TV shows.

Also it seems like past racist behaviour by Roseanne was brushed aside when the show was being resurrected, so why would current behaviour that was consistent with the past cause such a strong reaction? I can't be sure that much was going through her head at the time, but if she had any moment of reflection that a racist tweet would damage her career, she probably figured that ABC didn't consider a previous instance of comparing a black person with a non-human primate as a deal breaker, so why would they do so now?

I never liked Roseanne (the TV show) the first time around anyway.

5 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Seems like ABC axing Roseanne over the racist tweet was not regarded as likely by the commentariat since Rosanne was making ABC a ton of money.

4 minutes ago, Pony Empress Jace said:

I think they axed it because producers and actors were jumping ship.

This was like it was with Trump, though. He kept getting worse and worse and eventually we were all wringing our hands asking, "What will it take?"

14 hours ago, ants said:

Did you even read what you linked? It doesn’t say what you are implying it says. 

Yeah between this and the 1500 "missing" children, there's been quite the unwarranted outrage the past few pages here.  Caught Daily Show tonight, and even Noah led off by making fun of liberals jumping the gun and freaking out about the latter.  BTW, that link was pretty fascinating, at least for a geek like me.  Did not know that about the WH gift shop.

1 minute ago, Triskele said:

Rosanne was always a totally shit show.  In case I die tomorrow I really felt compelled to say that.  And I hated it before I had any politics involved.  

Guess I'm in the minority (at least in this very weird sample) in that I really liked the original show, at least for the first five or six seasons - it ran way too long its first time out.  Liked it when I was growing up and I even rewatched a lot of it a few years ago.  The last season was fucking ridiculous, which is why it's return was totally unnecessary and I didn't watch. 

1 hour ago, Triskele said:

Some of this Sessions news suggests something that many of us had been hoping:  that behind the scenes the other Republicans, or enough of them anyway, have left some guardrails in place.  I sure hope it's true.

This Rosanne tweet was actually bad enough that it seems like we might not see as much of Trumpworld defend it as might normally happen in Trumpworld.  

Oh they have been. :(

i liked the original run of Roseanne, didn't love it. Excluding the final season of course, aside from the finale I've still not been able to make it through a single episode of it.

But even when I liked the show "Roseanne", I liked it because of Dan (John Goodman), Jackie (Laurie Metcalf) and the rest of the supporting cast and the writing. I always disliked the personality of Roseanne Barr and in the series I always viewed her as the antagonist and wished the one thing about the show "Roseanne" was that it didn't have Roseanne in it.

Upon the reboot, I was surprised how much I liked it. It came to be over the last two months that Tuesday nights was something I really looked forward to. Again, I liked it for the writing and all the cast except for Roseanne who I liked even less now as a character and the person I really detested. She's always had a need for attention, like most celebrities, but she also goes too far. She kept getting away with the tweets until she finally didn't.

I'm disgusted by Roseanne Barr the person, but I'm really going to miss the show. :( 

So I know it's probably to early but... how are you guys feeling about Trumps chances in 2020? Myself I'm optimistic that he won't win. Trump only won by the skin of his teeth last time and a tiny drop in support should do him in. In 2016 he benefited from having zero record and just being able to throw bombs and promise what he liked with a record to defend there is a lot more to push him on, plus this time he is the one under a cloud of investigation and general scandal instead of his opponent. If the Democrats nominate someone halfway decent then I think even with the incumbent advantage he stands a pretty good shot a losing. 

1 minute ago, Darzin said:

So I know it's probably to early but... how are you guys feeling about Trumps chances in 2020? Myself I'm optimistic that he won't win. Trump only won by the skin of his teeth last time and a tiny drop in support should do him in. In 2016 he benefited from having zero record and just being able to throw bombs and promise what he liked with a record to defend there is a lot more to push him on, plus this time he is the one under a cloud of investigation and general scandal instead of his opponent. If the Democrats nominate someone halfway decent then I think even with the incumbent advantage he stands a pretty good shot a losing. 

It don't matter kid, the thin veneer of democracy is gone. It was only ever a lie, but that's gone too.

3 minutes ago, Pony Empress Jace said:

It don't matter kid, the thin veneer of democracy is gone. It was only ever a lie, but that's gone too.

Naw there will be an election and the votes will be counted as such. Trump lacks the imagination for a coup, heck I think it was someone here who pointed out Trump is behaving more as the mayor of a city than the US president he doesn't get that he "is" the government. What is scary is someone else in Trumps shoes could pull it off if Steve Bannon was president we'd be fucked.

5 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Yeah unfortunately I agree. I’ll be surprised if there IS an election.

There will be an election, it's the outcome that doesn't matter. George Washington could rise from the grave and win, it won't change that the country is irreparably damaged.

Just now, Pony Empress Jace said:

There will be an election, it's the outcome that doesn't matter. George Washington could rise from the grave and win, it won't change that the country is irreparably damaged.

What is damaged can be repaired, America has had times of ugliness before and survived. The Republicans have lost anyway their vision has no traction among the young, people of color, or immigrants, all growing groups. Part of the reason they've gone so nuts is they feel their hold on the culture slipping. 

Archived