Moving Right Alolan - More Pokemon Go!

Fragile Bird

Is there an actual date when we see the new mon? June? July?

I completed a Field Research task and won an Exxegcute as my prize that turned out to be a perfect 100. I’m thinking it’s a good candidate for the new evolution!

5 minutes ago, Mikael said:

How did you check that iv stuff?

There are Pokémon checkers available for free on the internet. I used to check levels on my computer but gave that up when I got a link to Poke Genie for my iPhone. Soooooo convenient, I just take a screen shot and I've given the app access to my photos, so after I do the screen shot I just go to Poke Genie and touch the photo which is already there and the analysis is done instantly. This allows me to immediately discard pokemon with low levels and keeps space available in my bag.

If you don't have an iPhone (I think some people said the app is for the iPhone only), just go to your phone's store and search Pokémon Go and check out what's available!

17 minutes ago, Mikael said:

Thx! It worked fine with samsung, though it was kind of depressing to learn my tyranitar was an 84.

84 is an excellent IV! We all want mon in the 90s, of course, but 84 kicks ass. I am slowly but surely collecting higher level IVs. Initially I kept both first and second ranked mon, but now I usually only keep 1st ranked mon ('wonders' for Mystic) unless they are monstrously huge. For example, I caught a Machomp that had a 1500 CP, and I just figured the evolution up is so low cost, no dust needed here, that I kept it. I think it's 2nd ranked, but it might even be 3rd, but it's so huge!

I have started  adding the attack and defense numbers to the nickname when they are 15/15 or 15/14, so I know what my best fighters are. My exxegcute is, of course, 15-15-15, since it's perfect.

20 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Saw that announcement... this is intriguing. And it partially explains the ability to bump your bag to 2000...

Not really, as that's item space, not pokemon space. 

11 hours ago, Mikael said:

I just realized that aggron is a proper blissey buster. I just had a 2600 aggron take out a 2800 blissey without dodging once.

That's surprising; Aggron really doesn't do a whole lot of damage, nor is it particularly effective against them. It will sit there and take no damage, but I'd be shocked if it could down a Blissey in the gym time limit that is that high level. 

2 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Is there an actual date when we see the new mon? June? July?

I completed a Field Research task and won an Exxegcute as my prize that turned out to be a perfect 100. I’m thinking it’s a good candidate for the new evolution!

We don't have any dates yet. And yes, that would be a good candidate. Only three of the Alolans come from a normal base - Raichu, Exeggutor, and Marowak, and Eggs is the only one worth a damn. My personal theory is that those three and those three only will come from raids (Eggs and Marowak have already been raid bosses) and everything else will be a catch, and they will simply skip the evolution thing entirely. 

In the real game, what you get from the evolution depends on where you are in the world, and I can't imagine they would want to do something like that. Much easier to simply keep existing evolves and give you the guys from raids. 

Well, there were some time left, I guess the real perk to Aggron was that it's steel so dazzling gleam didn't do any real damage. 

The biggest disappointment with my Tyranitar was that it's 10 for attack. I'm gonna evolve a new one, but I think I'll hold off for a better one than the Larvitar I've got, which was at 87. 

Edit: The calculator was a nice find though, and now I can be even more conservative with my dust, anyone below 90 can just fuck right off ;)

Also, keep in mind that the IVs barely make any difference at all, practically. Tyranitar's base atk stat is 251; from that, you add up to 15. A 10 or a 15 at that point is very, very tiny, and only really matters if you're min-maxing breakpoints for defense when doing raiding with small groups and whatnot.

I'm not saying you shouldn't wait - you probably should, especially with the event coming up - but IV hunting and waiting for that next big one is probably not that important in the grand scheme of things.

Yeah, it's not a multiplier - it's just an addition. This is why the worst MewTwo - a 10/10/10 - still has by far the best attack in the game. 

And amusingly, 15-10-15 is probably better than 15-15-15, because it means that you take a bit more damage per hit - which makes you get your charge move faster. 

To add to the above - here's a good reddit thread that talks about this. Basically, the worst possible Tyranitar at level 28 is better than a 100% Golem at level 40 - because the base stats for Tyranitar are just that awesome.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRoad/comments/8lk7bm/analysis_what_if_i_dont_get_a_good_iv_larvitar_on/

Ok, triple post, but it seems i was wrong about aggron. I did the same thing today with a 2600 aggron vs a 2500 blissey with dazzling gleam. Had i dodged i wouldve won, but without dodging i died with blissey having like 5-10% left. In conclusion, it seems pretty impossible that i beat a 2800 blissey with a 2600 aggron without dodging, so i mustve misread that. On the other hand, aggron seems to be better than both machamp and tyranitar at slugging it out with blissey.

Archived