Moving Right Alolan - More Pokemon Go!

Fragile Bird

Hi all, recently created an account for my son (age 5) after he took to being introduced to Indigo League recently.

We took a walk in the neighborhood tonight and he caught 21 Pokemon and made it to level 5. He's convinced he's awesome. If anyone wants to friend to and exchange gifts, feel free to add.

8277 8370 1616

(I used to play when it first came out, then made it to 24 before I burned out... game is significantly better now but I'll probably just play his account to level it up)

Okay... maybe wrong thread, given that this is supposed to be about Pokémon Go, but, well, still Pokémon.

Since I'm trying to introduce my Computer Science students to object oriented programming by letting them code a Pokémon knockoff, I kinda got the itch to play a bit myself. For research purposes, of course! So I installed just another Pokémon fangame to my collection: Pokémon Reborn.

So far... it didn't really became the cringy edgefest that I had feared (given how many of them do, for little to no reason other than a mistaken idea that this makes them 'mature'). As far as I can tell, nearly the entire world of Reborn is just one giant sprawling hive of scum and villainy that is supposed to be rebuilt into something you can actually live in. But right now my character is still scouring through the slums, fending off bored wannabe gangmembers with their lvl 7 Pidgeys and generally being impressed about the huge size of everything.

So far the game has two remarkable features I'm seeing: For one, since the entire world is a hell out of steel and concrete, there are barely any Pokémon to catch. There are some sorry patches of high grass around the Grand Hall of the Pokémon League, there is someone having a backyard garden with bug Pokémon and one fisherman has a swimming pool full of Goldeen he says he had rescued before the lake to the South became a poisoned green sludge. That's about it. There are a few poison and dark types roaming in back alleys and dumbsters, but other than that you have to hope for scripted encounters. So you have to be looking out for every possible opportunity (though admittedly, given that every trainer battle nets you only a two-digit number of Pokédollars, I don't have any Pokéballs anyway).

The second one is especially neat however: For some reason (the characters-ingame speculate that it's the pollution), shinies are far more common than in regular games. The wiki page says the chance is 1 in 93.333. Still very rare, but at least they appear here or there naturally. As someone who had never seen one in a wild unscripted encounter, it was sure astonishing when I left the Grand Hall and was jumped by a shiny Rattata while trying to catch a Patrat. Later on, when I got the Old Rod by a fisherman, I immediately tried it out in that disgusting looking lake... and my first catch was a shiny Grimer! So I don't even have my first gym batch, but somehow have already two shinies in my team. Neat!

14 hours ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

Hi all, recently created an account for my son (age 5) after he took to being introduced to Indigo League recently.

We took a walk in the neighborhood tonight and he caught 21 Pokemon and made it to level 5. He's convinced he's awesome. If anyone wants to friend to and exchange gifts, feel free to add.

8277 8370 1616

(I used to play when it first came out, then made it to 24 before I burned out... game is significantly better now but I'll probably just play his account to level it up)

I added LordSweetson and I hope some of the rest of you have room for another friend too! There are a number of players in my neighborhood who show up with young sons and daughters and I get a real kick out of the pleasure they get catching Pokémon! They go on raids too, although it’s usually mom or dad who does that catching. And, I guess because Niantic wants to encourage young players, they have a high rate of shiny catches!

6 hours ago, Toth said:

So I don't even have my first gym batch, but somehow have already two shinies in my team. Neat!

Correction: Three shinies. Just found a silver Hoothoot (the game gave the shinies a little do-over, it seems).

On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 9:42 PM, Ser Not Appearing said:

8277 8370 1616

I frequently play my son's account when he is in school or too busy to hang with mom (he's a moody teen)

I added your son to my "new" account.  Let me know when it gets to the add 3 new friends quest and I'll add him to my original account and my son's (My new account is at the "add 3 new friends quest now...been working it about a week, usually just mornings, and am level 23)

1 hour ago, Mikael said:

Has anyone hatched a kangashkan yet? So far ive only hatched alolans. 

Yep, my new account hatched one, my old account hatched 2 Mr. Mimes and my son has only gotten alohans  so far.  He needs Kanga too.  The new account needs all the others except tauros

On ‎09‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 11:30 AM, Lany Freelove Cassandra said:

I've once again decide to try and switch to the red team, so I've made myself a new account that I will work at catching up to my yellow account (the first time I gave it to my son so he could switch from Blue to Yellow)

My friend code is 4397 6551 6538.

(I'll still do the main account...I can't promise I won't lose interest in trying to get everything again)

just sent a friend request over - CrossfitJack,

I've managed to get a few nice Luckies, and hot damn, is it ever fantastic to power them up for half the points! I need to find someone with a bunch of Larvitars for trade to see if I can get a good Lucky one.

Just in case you didn't know Mewtwo will lose Shadow Ball at 1:00 pm PDT or 4:00 pm EST, so you might want to use your TMs to change your charged move to Shadow Ball if your Mewtwos don't have it.  It becomes a Legacy move.

I used up most of my charged TMs on something else and my last 4 charged TMs did not change the Mewtwo I used them on to Shadow Ball. Other friends used only one and got the change, it's a crap shoot that I lost.

On 9/16/2018 at 9:09 PM, Toth said:

Correction: Three shinies. Just found a silver Hoothoot (the game gave the shinies a little do-over, it seems).

Continued Pokémon Reborn a little over the course of the last week. Beating the first gym was hard, needed about three tries until I finally managed to power through. It is kinda unfair to start with an Electric Type gym, but no decent ground or grass types being available to catch. So I had to power through with my Quilava, which was my starter. I also had a Cherubi, but I still haven't figured out how to make that one useful... at all...

Now the second gym is a Plant Type one... which technically means Quilava has a massive advantage. I am still leveling my Hoothoot and my Vanillite just to be sure. And as I finally reached the park of the western ward of the city, I managed to catch a shiny Bellsprout. Now that one is going to be really useful later on!

On 9/22/2018 at 12:35 PM, Toth said:

Now the second gym is a Plant Type one... which technically means Quilava has a massive advantage. I am still leveling my Hoothoot and my Vanillite just to be sure. And as I finally reached the park of the western ward of the city, I managed to catch a shiny Bellsprout. Now that one is going to be really useful later on!

Okay... I'm once again astonished how ridiculously hard this game is. I haven't even managed to get to the gymleader yet, her brother is standing in my way first. He has just three Pokémon and I'm struggling hard to get past him. Fine, his Sandile and Roselia aren't all that much to speak of, but his lvl. 25 Dartrix... You can only have Pokémon up to lvl. 25, so you can't overpower it with a higher level. And still, it tears my team apart... I guess my best bet is further leveling my lvl. 19 Vanillite which is my only ice-type at the moment. Then again, Vanillite is both very slow and very fragile, Dartrix easily rips it to shreds right now. What else is there? Hoothoot lacks powerful flying moves, Grimer is too slow and has no punch and Onix will be crushed by its grass-type attacks. Heck, even Quilava can't take it on without me spamming healing items.

17 minutes ago, Mikael said:

Can someone explain the new one?

Meltan is a mythical pokemon probably from Gen 8 (or at least considered Gen 8) - from the pokemon games that haven't been released yet. As a promotion for it and for the Pokemon Let's Go game coming out in November, it started showing up as dittos in Pokemon Go. 

There is no way to get it now, but chances are good that you'll get it as a special gift in Let's Go. 

Archived