Moving Right Alolan - More Pokemon Go!

Fragile Bird

On 5/25/2018 at 1:22 PM, Mikael said:

Can someone explain to me why people insist on having their monsters in gyms for days on end? Why do they keep feeding golden razzberries long after the 9h 10min cutoff?

Because they like keeping the gym, usually because they want to get their gold badge. That's certainly why I do it. The other reason is to make sure the gym stays a color so that when a raid hits (especially an EX raid) they get the bonuses. That is something you only usually see right before a raid. 

3 hours ago, Mikael said:

On the other hand, aggron seems to be better than both machamp and tyranitar at slugging it out with blissey.

My machamp can take down a blissey singlehandedly with about 30s left if I'm dodging all the time, or like 50s if I'm more focused on beating them up. And even sooner on cloudy days.  TTARs can take it down with about 20s left. 

So...during Adventure Week you get 2100 experience points for spinning a new Pokestop. Throw in an egg and for half an hour you get 4200 for every new spin. Some guy on Reddit explained he was in Tucson for a conference and just drove around spinning pokestops and earned himself 880,000 points!

I decided to try that last night, or, technically, this morning in the wee hours. I had to drive north to be well away from stops I've spun, and for my first egg totally made a mistake (egg on my face!) by finding myself in a nearly stop-free suburb. My plan all along had been to drive into town, and the next two eggs fared much better. I earned myself about 325,000 points at the cost of three eggs.

That said, I may try again in the east end of town, in a trendy neighbourhood that should be full of pokestops. In fact, I may drive around until I hit Level 37, a mere 450,000 points away after this morning's work! I think I should be able to do that with three eggs, if I start in a better place!

Then there is finding yourself in a gym for a week on end without needing to add any berries, but not getting any extra coins for it...and invariably you get knocked out of said gym shortly after you earn your 50 coins for the day off of a gym you were in for only 12 hours...

Yall catch any exeggutors? I caught 5 this morning i think, one was pretty good, a 2500 with grass attacks, bullet seeds aint no solar beam though. 

Ive erased all my aggrons, its just too annoying to always have them as suggested for battles. 

On 5/30/2018 at 2:08 AM, Mikael said:

Yall catch any exeggutors? I caught 5 this morning i think, one was pretty good, a 2500 with grass attacks, bullet seeds aint no solar beam though. 

Ive erased all my aggrons, its just too annoying to always have them as suggested for battles. 

I've caught at least a dozenor more.  A couple of nice ones, but not better than my current Top Dog Eggecuter...

Also... I'm using the Poke Genie... it rated my Raichu as a 93... and it seemed to indicate it could be improved to a 100... but after charging up twice, I I I and it cameup as 84... what does that mean?

34 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

I've caught at least a dozenor more.  A couple of nice ones, but not better than my current Top Dog Eggecuter...

Also... I'm using the Poke Genie... it rated my Raichu as a 93... and it seemed to indicate it could be improved to a 100... but after charging up twice, I I I and it cameup as 84... what does that mean?

Did it give a range? Then the 93 was an average. The fact that it dropped to 84 means it went down the range instead of up the range, which is a PITA when it happens.

2 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Did it give a range? Then the 93 was an average. The fact that it dropped to 84 means it went down the range instead of up the range, which is a PITA when it happens.

I thought it said 93 was the current score and that the range shown was the 94 to 100...I fed some up charge and then when I checked again it was in the 80s...

10 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

I thought it said 93 was the current score and that the range shown was the 94 to 100...I fed some up charge and then when I checked again it was in the 80s...

If it gives you a range, it means that it's not sure what the Pokemon's Individual Values are, because there are multiple possibilities. You can never change a Pokemon's IVs (which range from 0-15 in each category of Attack, Defense, and HP; a 100% is a 15/15/15). So if it gives you a range, your Pokemon is going to be within that range- if it says 80-100, it might be an 83, it might be a 93. Powering up won't change that, but it might let the calculator figure out more accurately what your Pokemon's IV score is.

I love love love the Alolan Exeggutors. They make me so happy.

I have caught 165 Exeggutors. I want to say I've never caught a regular Exegguttor in the wild, but let's say I've caught 5. The 160 Alolan ones I've caught have pretty well sucked. Top ranked (Wonders for Mystic) ones have IVs of 70, 72,75, even 68. You rarely see that in any other kind of mon, 80 is usually the bottom. While I've caught many with CPs from 2,000 to 2,400, their IVs were 3rd and 4th ranked.

Until this morning my stable looked like this: 209 and 80-71, 383 and 84-80, 633 and 80-71, 1046 and 84-82, 1520 and 76, and 1693 and 75-73. I discarded a couple of really lousy wonders, so maybe 10 wonders in 160. I finally decided to keep a big CP 2nd ranked one, 2401 and 71-66. Then this morning on my walk I finally caught a real keeper, CP 1555 and IV of 96%.

Now I need to decide which of the others to keep, the bigger ones at 76 or the smaller ones in the 80s. I have tons of candy now, but powering them up will cost a lot of dust. Probably too much to make it worth doing, better to keep catching them and hope for another good one.

When they were released the other night (was it Monday?) within minutes someone had posted their catch with a 97.8 IV. I don't remember what CP it had, but it made it look like it was going to be easy...

Ty Ive caught about 50, but no high cp high iv ones. The first two days i had weather boost so i caught a second tier at 2600.

As a side note, the event let me hit three excellent curveballs in a row :D two exeggs and a wailmer. 

5 minutes ago, Mikael said:

Ty Ive caught about 50, but no high cp high iv ones. The first two days i had weather boost so i caught a second tier at 2600.

As a side note, the event let me hit three excellent curveballs in a row :D two exeggs and a wailmer. 

So you got a Larvitar!

7 minutes ago, Mikael said:

Hehe no, never even seen that research, but it was kind of pleasing all the same.

Well, now you know, 3 excellent throws in a row is a Larvitar quest.

Hatch 5 eggs is a Chansey quest.

Catch a dragon quest is a Dratini.

I got my Catch a Dragon quest at least two weeks ago and kept calling out Latias hatches, but the Latias apparently has the reputation for being worthless. I just finally did one yesterday, but only because a Ho-oh hatched in a gym right beside it before the Latias and everyone stayed around for the double.

I was shocked when I caught my first Exeggutor and the notification popped out telling me I had caught my dragon!

I have not seen a dragon quest ever since.

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

I have caught 165 Exeggutors. I want to say I've never caught a regular Exegguttor in the wild, but let's say I've caught 5. The 160 Alolan ones I've caught have pretty well sucked. Top ranked (Wonders for Mystic) ones have IVs of 70, 72,75, even 68. You rarely see that in any other kind of mon, 80 is usually the bottom. While I've caught many with CPs from 2,000 to 2,400, their IVs were 3rd and 4th ranked.

Until this morning my stable looked like this: 209 and 80-71, 383 and 84-80, 633 and 80-71, 1046 and 84-82, 1520 and 76, and 1693 and 75-73. I discarded a couple of really lousy wonders, so maybe 10 wonders in 160. I finally decided to keep a big CP 2nd ranked one, 2401 and 71-66. Then this morning on my walk I finally caught a real keeper, CP 1555 and IV of 96%.

Now I need to decide which of the others to keep, the bigger ones at 76 or the smaller ones in the 80s. I have tons of candy now, but powering them up will cost a lot of dust. Probably too much to make it worth doing, better to keep catching them and hope for another good one.

When they were released the other night (was it Monday?) within minutes someone had posted their catch with a 97.8 IV. I don't remember what CP it had, but it made it look like it was going to be easy...

The IVs are always completely random for every wild catch Pokemon (weather boosted ones I think are guaranteed to have 5-5-5). I'm not a mathematician, but the chances of catching a low IV pokemon are much, much higher than the chances of catching a high IV one. The chances of catching a high IV, high level Pokemon are even lower (though of course some people get lucky). Your CP 1555 at 96% is an amazing catch, and probably the best one you'll get. 

Egg hatches and raid bosses and quest pokemon get a guaranteed 66%+ IV, so you tend to get 80+ ones more often from those. If you're usually getting 80+ Pokemon from wild catches, you are one of the luckiest people in the world.

The good news is that IVs don't actually really matter. Like, I get sucked into them too, but the difference between a 75% IV Exeggutor and 100% one is going to be miniscule, and there are only a couple cases where a higher IV number could matter (so called breakpoints). In other words, don't stress. 

4 minutes ago, Mikael said:

I havent bothered learning how the cp works, but the thing that The iv score decides is the max cp so i wouldnt spend dust on any low iv monster.

You'll definitely get a higher CP with higher IVs, but without the old gym system, this doesn't really matter anymore (except for personal pride). A 0% Dragonite is still going to be a much better Pokemon than an 100% Latias or Kingdra. It'll only be slightly worse than a 100% dragonite- and an 80% Dragonite will barely be distinguishable from an 100%.

Again, I get the desire for high IVs- I get sucked into it too, and when I get an 100%, I power that sucker up. But I just don't think they're worth obsessing over, given how little difference they make.

Well, i guess youre kind of right, and i dont think the choice is ever between 0 and 100% iv, but the difference between a 0 and 100% rhydon at lvl 40 is 400 cp.

Also, they really should tweak the gym system.

8 minutes ago, Caligula_K3 said:

The IVs are always completely random for every wild catch Pokemon (weather boosted ones I think are guaranteed to have 5-5-5). I'm not a mathematician, but the chances of catching a low IV pokemon are much, much higher than the chances of catching a high IV one. The chances of catching a high IV, high level Pokemon are even lower (though of course some people get lucky). Your CP 1555 at 96% is an amazing catch, and probably the best one you'll get. 

Egg hatches and raid bosses and quest pokemon get a guaranteed 66%+ IV, so you tend to get 80+ ones more often from those. If you're usually getting 80+ Pokemon from wild catches, you are one of the luckiest people in the world.

The good news is that IVs don't actually really matter. Like, I get sucked into them too, but the difference between a 75% IV Exeggutor and 100% one is going to be miniscule, and there are only a couple cases where a higher IV number could matter (so called breakpoints). In other words, don't stress. 

Since I started hanging out with serious players, I've been paying more attention to top ranked Pokémon. In the beginning I knew nothing about ranks. A fellow I chatted to one day in the park explained to me about the ranks and the fact that no matter what you do, they won't change their IV. After that I collected 1sts and 2nds. Then I found an IV calculator. As I moved up in ranks I decided not to keep anything below an 80 IV. I've moved that up now to 86 or 87, unless I only have one of the particular mon, or they are rare, so I keep the best I've got.

Most of the Level 39 and 40 players I've met keep only mon over 90 IV levels. I've seen people post their raid teams made up of 6 mon with 98 to 100 IVs.

I myself have 'hundos' in Aron, Torchic, Electabuzz, Exeggcute, Jolteon (Eevee) Nidoran, Rhyhorn, Skitty, Treecko, and Wailmer. I have many, many 90s.

You just need to catch a lot of Pokémon!

Archived