Moving Right Alolan - More Pokemon Go!

Fragile Bird

Just now, Fragile Bird said:

Since I started hanging out with serious players, I've been paying more attention to top ranked Pokémon. In the beginning I knew nothing about ranks. A fellow I chatted to one day in the park explained to me about the ranks and the fact that no matter what you do, they won't change their IV. After that I collected 1sts and 2nds. Then I found an IV calculator. As I moved up in ranks I decided not to keep anything below an 80 IV. I've moved that up now to 86 or 87, unless I only have one of the particular mon, or they are rare, so I keep the best I've got.

Most of the Level 39 and 40 players I've met keep only mon over 90 IV levels. I've seen people post their raid teams made up of 6 mon with 98 to 100 IVs.

I myself have 'hundos' in Aron, Torchic, Electabuzz, Exeggcute, Jolteon (Eevee) Nidoran, Rhyhorn, Skitty, Treecko, and Wailmer. I have many, many 90s.

You just need to catch a lot of Pokémon!

Eh, I get the obsessiveness people have. Many people here are the same, and if that's what makes the game fun for you, then definitely go for it. But this rock event, mixed with Ho-Oh raids, is kind of a case in point: any level 35 Golem you evolve from a Geodude is going to be a better counter against Ho-Oh than pretty much any Pokemon at 90-100%, even Dragonite (I think the only comparable ones are Kyogre and Raikou). A Blissey at 0% is always going to be a better defender than a 100% Snorlax.

Congrats on your dope 100 collection! My favourite 100s of my own are my Muk, Dragonite, Entei, Golem, and Alakazam.

5 minutes ago, Caligula_K3 said:

Eh, I get the obsessiveness people have. Many people here are the same, and if that's what makes the game fun for you, then definitely go for it. But this rock event, mixed with Ho-Oh raids, is kind of a case in point: any level 35 Golem you evolve from a Geodude is going to be a better counter against Ho-Oh than pretty much any Pokemon at 90-100%, even Dragonite (I think the only comparable ones are Kyogre and Raikou). A Blissey at 0% is always going to be a better defender than a 100% Snorlax.

Congrats on your dope 100 collection! My favourite 100s of my own are my Muk, Dragonite, Entei, Golem, and Alakazam.

Ha! I put some of your comments in the chat group, I will be curious to see the reaction!

14 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Ha! I put some of your comments in the chat group, I will be curious to see the reaction!

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRoad/comments/8bqlcb/are_ivs_important/

Here's also a pretty good discussion of it, especially in the second thread by Ranoake. The point is that the worse a Pokemon is, the more of a difference IVs make, since their stats are lower. But even then it doesn't make a real difference most of the time.

There are times when higher IVs will make a small different. A level 40 Golem with 15 attack does one more damage per quick move against Ho-Oh than other Golems. But this is a pretty rare instance (in most cases, to reach a breakpoint you just have to power it up a level or two more if your attack IV is lower). But this doesn't make a big difference unless you're trying to do three-four person legendary raids often.

Yeah, the real reason for 100s is if you're regularly doing undermanned raids (like duoing TTar or soloing Machamp or 3-manning Ho-oh) or for your own personal bragging rights. The most important thing is to get the best types of Pokemon at high levels, and usually that means the best value is for you to get one with a high lvl right off the bat, with IV being good but not crucial. 

A lvl 35 Machamp with crap IV is far better than a lvl 30 Machamp with 100 IV, and the lvl 35 would cost something like 100 extra candies and 50k stardust over the lvl 30. 

Mind you, I collect good 100s and used to chase them when scanners were up, so I know how alluring it is. I currently have at max lvl:
100% TTar, 100% Dnite, 100% Metagross, 100% Salamence, 100% Kyogre, 100% Rayquaza, 5 100% Machamps - with another 2 100% TTars coming up (they're both at lvl 38.5). But the 100% doesn't give me a massive advantage at all in any raid or gym battle. 

13 hours ago, Mikael said:

Scanners? 

I have a grand total of 0 100%ers :D

For a while, cities and some local areas were running lots of bot accounts that would detect Pokemon, their level, and IV, and place it on a map. So if a 100% Dragonite showed up, people with cars/spoofers could get to it right away. I think now Niantic has upped the security around the game, and it's impossible to use bot accounts or spoof anymore.

Your 100%ers will come! Especially since I'm sure we've all thrown out a dozen 100% weedles/pidgeys/sentrets.

On 6/2/2018 at 11:46 AM, Caligula_K3 said:

For a while, cities and some local areas were running lots of bot accounts that would detect Pokemon, their level, and IV, and place it on a map. So if a 100% Dragonite showed up, people with cars/spoofers could get to it right away. I think now Niantic has upped the security around the game, and it's impossible to use bot accounts or spoof anymore.

Your 100%ers will come! Especially since I'm sure we've all thrown out a dozen 100% weedles/pidgeys/sentrets.

Kinda. It's mostly that they changed their way of communication to use SSL, and the reverse engineers who had figured out how it worked in the past haven't cracked it. My suspicion is that they won't actually crack it at all. As far as I can tell Niantic didn't do this to stop the scanners (if they had wanted to there were far easier ways to do it in the past) and did it simply as  a means of allowing better infrastructure and feature work coming down the pipe (like the in-game chat feature). 

Quests help with the 100% thing somewhat, in that you're guaranteed a 'raid' level pokemon, which has a 1 in 216 chance of being perfect (and about a 1 in 25 chance of being shiny). But only somewhat. 

I haven’t posted in a while, but I finally did my first ex-raid after missing my original invite due to phone problems.

Mewtwo really is pretty ugly, lol!

I am embarrassed to admit it but I keep buying bag and storage space. I have been parcelling out rare candy to various legendaries and feeding mon in gyms berries to reduce items. At this point in time I’ve been trying to do more field research tasks that earn the rare candy, since I don’t raid that much. And I’ve caught a few Absols now with the throw an excellent curveball task. I still can’t imagine throwing three excellent curveballs in a row, but, shockingly, last night I did throw two, hitting a Wailmer and a Corphish.

Speaking of 3 excellent throws in a row, last night a fellow player posted his strategy. You can stack up completed Field Research mon awards by touching the symbol to start the process of catching them, but then just run away. The reward is then available for you to take whenever you want. He collects the ‘use 3 berries to catch a pokemon’ because the prize is a Wailmer, and Wailmers are easy to hit with an excellent throw once you have the knack down pat. When he finds a Larvitar quest he just recalls 3 of his Wailmers and completes the task in the blink of an eye! Apparently you can save up to 100 Field Research prizes. I have now saved a half dozen and will continue doing so because you never know what will be available next for an excellent throw or 2 or 3!

Another thing I’ve noticed when I do raids is the look on the face of the Pokemon when they faint. Some of them are very comical, or puzzled, or sort of offended looking. I was mentioning this after the ex-raid and someone said that when you capture a Kanghastan (sp), the joey the mother is carrying in her pouch falls out and hits the ground! :o

Kinda sad...

I just checked my chat group and someone else said something that was such common sense I could have kicked myself for not thinking of it myself.

Even before the 3 excellent throw quest he saved all his mon rewards from Field Research, keeping rough track because there’s no way to tell how many you have, and when he has 50 or 60 he uses a star piece and catches them all while sitting on his couch. 50% more stardust for half an hour!

Yep, and that's especially good right now with the water pokemon. Anywhere from 450 to 1350 stardust per catch, one right after another. 

Got my shiny Kyogre and 3 shiny Shellders. Hopefully community day is good. Goal is to get at least 3 good Tyranitars with smack down and hope they don't nerf it, as right now it'll make Tyranitar the best rock type, well, ever.

I have had terrible luck the last few weeks with shinies. I catch every Shellder I see (380 lifetime), and don't have one yet. I caught every darn Kabuto I saw (256 lifetime) and didn't get one. Mind you, the odds are something like 1 in a couple of thousand, so I could catch a lot more. I've caught 684 Magikarp, though, and while I know it's all about luck, folks I know have a couple of shiny carp and I have no red and no shiny, darn it. 

I did get a shiny Omanyte (253 caught) but as with the Kabuto, there were more of them out there for the event. And even then I got ripped off. While my bag showed the stars over the mon, it wasn't pink! People got a good laugh out of that. It did turn pink with the recent update, though, so it must have been a glitch, something about packets not being transmitted. I did get Mareep, Meditite and Charmander shinies. Crummy shinies, but shinies. :) And Pikachu, of course. And 2 Aerodactyls, caught through Field Research. I had more Pikachu, but being ignorant, I deleted them because they were crummy, lol!

No Wailmer, though.

Archived