Trailer Thread V

HexMachina

1 hour ago, TheKitttenGuard said:

So just full-on superhero now (or at least villain)? I guess that was the only way to up the spectacle anymore from Fast Eight. Maybe they really will go to space in the main series.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2019 at 11:11 AM, Fez said:

So just full-on superhero now (or at least villain)? I guess that was the only way to up the spectacle anymore from Fast Eight. Maybe they really will go to space in the main series.

This series is what Call of Duty became for the video game world. So I expect a "soft reboot" in a few years, with just a few of the old characters, if any, and the story being just about driving cars.

The Hustle looks awful to me. Hathaway's affectation doesn't work in this era, and Rebel Wilson being an Aussie loses the humor around the crass American vs. the sophisticated Brit that has been central to this concept since Bedtime Story. I suppose the subsection of the 24.6 million Aussies of the world who will be interested in this film will appreciate the change-up.

Quite a vote of confidence in Wilson in landing a role originally played by Steve Martin and Marlon Brando, though. 

(In more interesting Hustle-related news, Stephen Chow has apparently said in interviews that Kung Fu Hustle 2 is in the works!)

1 hour ago, Ran said:

The Hustle looks awful to me. Hathaway's affectation doesn't work in this era, and Rebel Wilson being an Aussie loses the humor around the crass American vs. the sophisticated Brit that has been central to this concept since Bedtime Story. I suppose the subsection of the 24.6 million Aussies of the world who will be interested in this film will appreciate the change-up.

Quite a vote of confidence in Wilson in landing a role originally played by Steve Martin and Marlon Brando, though. 

(In more interesting Hustle-related news, Stephen Chow has apparently said in interviews that Kung Fu Hustle 2 is in the works!)

I’ve no idea what Hathaway is going for with that accent but it’s really putting me off. Plus Rebel Wilson stopped being funny halfway through Bridesmaids. This just seems like one more lazy remake to me.

The idea of Kung fu Hustle 2 really brightened my day

13 hours ago, Ran said:

I've never found Rebel Wilson funny, so that puts a damper on this for me. Hathaway seems fine though. I am curious if they are sticking with the entire original plot being gender-swapped, right down to the twist at the end. Having a man play the Janet Colgate role and having that same ending seems like it would be poorly received.

I also thought that trailer for The Hustle looked god awful. Then again, I am supremely biased, as Steve Martin and Michael Caine are in my pantheon of amazing people on and off camera. And I cherish Dirty Rotten Scoundrels to this day. Hell, I just watched it two weeks ago for the who-knows-how-many-ith time.

I have to agree that having any male play the role of a master manipulator/seducer wouldn't exactly play in 2019. Or, hell, I don't know maybe it would.

Archived