Trailer Thread V

HexMachina

19 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Im sure i read somewhere it wont be musical.

I will be saddened if there is no Make a Man Out of You though

Okay, yeah. I just read that it won't have any of the songs; except for instrumental versions of some of them as part of the soundtrack. And it actually is a re-telling based on the original Chinese myth, rather than a remake of the last movie. And it has Donnie Yen and Jet Li in it.

So I'm significantly more intrigued.

12 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Golly.  I didn't get that vibe at all.  ????

Crazy woman that can fly fights with power-hungry, crossbowmen-employing woman over a throne princess that will lead to a throne.

I hadn't been watching it and I had assumed that it was staying somewhat close to the comic, so color me surprised when Hitler was shown and is apparently a big part of the plot. 

2 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Can’t recall if it was shared already but i saw the trailer for The Dead Don’t Die today and it looks wonderful, oh so wonderful

It’s been getting pretty terrible reviews from both critics and audiences. Disappointing considering the cast. 

On 7/8/2019 at 5:12 AM, Corvinus said:

Now this is one Disney movie in which I'm interested.

Some "trailer reviewers" seem to be disappointed that it may not be a musical. NOT being a musical would be music to my ears.

I read a translation of the Ballad of Mulan, and in that she's disguised as a man the entire time she's in the army, only revealing herself as a woman when she returns home. It's not a bad creative license to have her "come out" while she's still serving in the army, which the trailer implies will happen. But assuming she's ultimately accepted by the army it definitely paints the military in a more progressive light than it apparently was.

Meh. A little skeptical of a Mulan written & directed by a bunch of white people ( Though Disney having a female director is good after the stuff they've pulled with Star Wars), but the writers are the same ones behind The Rise of the planet of the apes series, so I'll give it a shot, I suppose.

1 hour ago, Raja said:

Meh. A little skeptical of a Mulan written & directed by a bunch of white people ( Though Disney having a female director is good after the stuff they've pulled with Star Wars), but the writers are the same ones behind The Rise of the planet of the apes series, so I'll give it a shot, I suppose.

I don't care about any of this. What is actually important is that all of these Disney 'Remakes' have been souless money grabs, with the Lion King being seemingly the most egregious case of just doing a shot for shot remake but with computers (note I didn't say better looking)

I wish these movies would go fall off a cliff.

14 hours ago, Nictarion said:

It’s been getting pretty terrible reviews from both critics and audiences. Disappointing considering the cast. 

I saw it,  It had some very funny moments, some that were shown in the trailers, and then it just ended and your left going "Is that it?"  Tilda Swinton was great though.

9 hours ago, Raja said:

This did give me pause, apparently they did try to hire an Asian director though, they approached Ang Lee and Jiang Wen. Not sure why they gave up after that but still.
Also the casting is on point.

7 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Sigh... where is the eye rolling emoji again? 

I mean, not caring is one thing, but why would you broadcast that you don't care if films are created in not-racist ways if you don't want people to have a go at you for it? The only purpose of inserting that comment in your reply to Raja was to bait a response like that.

Especially since you're talking about the one film in this whole list it's been made clear isn't a photocopy of the cartoon. So really your entire comment was a bit pointless.

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

but why would you broadcast that you don't care if films are created in not-racist ways

Who is arguing for films to be made in racist ways? What a silly statement. 

I am certainly less interested in the obvious box ticking exercises studios go through to appear less racist / sexist / homophobic etc. The idea that a movie is automatically less authentic or is racist because it’s directed by a white person is just simplistic and wrong.

I would very much like the movie to be authentic and just good, the colour of the directors skin will have little baring on that.

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

This did give me pause, apparently they did try to hire an Asian director though, they approached Ang Lee and Jiang Wen. Not sure why they gave up after that but still.
Also the casting is on point

Yeah - I'll watch *any* movie with Donnie Yen, tbh. I have no complaints about the casting. Man, an Ang Lee Mulan would have been quite something. I actually have zero idea who Jiang Wen is, but that's just my ignorance showing!

Apparently they hired William Kong, who was a producer on Crouching Tiger and a bunch of other stuff, to try and be a little bit more authentic. I'll still give it a shot, but I feel like they had a real opportunity with this one if they had a majority Chinese crew.

Archived