Joe Abercrombie: The Collected Works 2 (A new trilogy on the horizon)

Rhom

19 hours ago, larrytheimp said:

Probably because Abercrombie actually brings home endings without leaving stuff he's started unfinished.  Unlike some other authors whose threads have a bunch of activity *cough Bakker cough Rothfuss* despite not even having any more books on the way.

Think it has more to do with the fact that Abercrombie isn't into very complex world-building and doesn't make substantial use of mysteries (especially those relevant to the world-building) as a part of his storytelling. There's not a lot to speculate about that isn't directly plot-related as far as the settings go, and once the story is wrapped, well, you've got your answers to almost everything of note.

It's why GGK's works aren't as discussed as their quality might suggest they should be, too. Just a different approach, but I've that lends itself less well to water-cooler talk.

18 hours ago, TheRevanchist said:

Joe has always been sincere and giving regular updates. Next to Sanderson and Abraham, he is one of those author I trust when they say that the book is almost ready and will be released in this time.

But Gosh, I miss a book from him. His last book was 2 years ago, and I enjoy his books more than those of any author in the genre.

Has been a bit, but the fact he wrote the full trilogy all at once is a great approach.

On 5/25/2018 at 3:46 AM, Rhom said:

Has been a bit, but the fact he wrote the full trilogy all at once is a great approach.

And we also got the Shattered Sea trilogy within the space of a year so his average is still a book a year pretty much. 10 books since 2006 isn't a bad average and we'll hopefully get the new trilogy at a steady pace of 1 a year from 2019. Maybe even more frequently if we're lucky and marketing allows.

On 5/29/2018 at 5:09 PM, Corvinus said:

I'm planning on re-reading The Heroes, Red Country, and most of the Sharp Ends stories ahead of the new book release.

The heroes is at the top of my list if I were to only read one. It works so well as a stand-alone too. I think I'd wind up doing a full re-read if i were to revisit more. Part of me is curious as to how I'd feel about "Red Country" a second time around - I think it's the one that coud improve the most the second time around.

Red Country was the first and only audiobook I've ever been able to listen to without reading the book first.  I've tried 16 other audiobooks since, but can't handle them unless I've already read the book.  I credit the story, which is by far my favorite JA installment, but also the awesome narration.  Stev(ph)en Pacey.  That narrator is A Fucking Mazing.

13 hours ago, red snow said:

The heroes is at the top of my list if I were to only read one. It works so well as a stand-alone too. I think I'd wind up doing a full re-read if i were to revisit more. Part of me is curious as to how I'd feel about "Red Country" a second time around - I think it's the one that coud improve the most the second time around.

Red Country is a great re read, it felt a bit jarring first time round as it was so different to the other 5 books.  But the journey across the plains in particular is a beautiful read.

13 hours ago, larrytheimp said:

Red Country was the first and only audiobook I've ever been able to listen to without reading the book first.  I've tried 16 other audiobooks since, but can't handle them unless I've already read the book.  I credit the story, which is by far my favorite JA installment, but also the awesome narration.  Stev(ph)en Pacey.  That narrator is A Fucking Mazing.

Completely agree on Stephen Pacey. Great narrator, I especially love him reading BSC

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Caligula_K3 said:

https://www.joeabercrombie.com/2018/06/29/progress-report-june-18/

The first draft of the whole trilogy is done. Joe and his publishers hope to get Book 1 out by September 2019.

I love this man's work ethic.

That’s great.  Did we know the titles for two and three were The Trouble With Peace and The Beautiful Machine?

2 hours ago, Rhom said:

That’s great.  Did we know the titles for two and three were The Trouble With Peace and The Beautiful Machine?

Hmmm. 

A Little Hatred

A little hatred goes a long, long way. It grows and grows. And it’s hungry. You keep feeding it more and more people, and the more it gets, the more it wants. It’s never satisfied. And pretty soon it squeezes all the love out of your heart and all you’ll have left is a hateful heart.”

A little bit of hatred can spoil a score of years
And blur the eyes that ought to smile with many needless tears.”

“I’ve found in my own writing that a little hatred, keenly directed, is a useful thing.”

The Trouble With Peace

What they could do with 'round here is a good war. What else can you expect with peace running wild all over the place? You know what the trouble with peace is? No organization.”

The trouble with peace is that it tends to punish mistakes instead of rewarding brilliance.”

The Beautiful Machine

“Man is a beautiful machine that works very badly.”

Sometimes I wish I was a beautiful machine so I could resist your kiss and not cry when you're mean.”

15 hours ago, Caligula_K3 said:

https://www.joeabercrombie.com/2018/06/29/progress-report-june-18/

The first draft of the whole trilogy is done. Joe and his publishers hope to get Book 1 out by September 2019.

I love this man's work ethic.

Awesome. I recently read the Shattered Sea books so I'm completely out of Abercrombie novels until this trilogy. 

It being mostly in the Union and North (again) is interesting. I hope the Old Empire and Styria have significant roles, they seemed like they were being set up as new world powers in the standalone novels. 

Probably best Joe stay away from the Gurkish, since the risk of falling either into cliche orientalism or going too far overboard to overturn orientalist preconceptions (Saladin Ahmed) is pretty big.

The orientalism from the first trilogy is already too strong to be undone. I'd rather Joe just went with it, because he's not known for extremely subtle depiction of the West and "savagery" either, but the location of the new trilogy proves that he doesn't want to go that way and I'll admit it's an honest move.

14 hours ago, Pilusmagnus said:

The orientalism from the first trilogy is already too strong to be undone. I'd rather Joe just went with it, because he's not known for extremely subtle depiction of the West and "savagery" either, but the location of the new trilogy proves that he doesn't want to go that way and I'll admit it's an honest move.

A lot of Western readers are probably instinctively hostile towards a theocracy like Gurkhul.

But, the Union is just as awful.  It seems more modern, by virtue of being a secular state, but it's a modern racist police state.  The rich and powerful oppress the poor, and the rich and powerful can be carted off to torture chambers and concentration camps at a moment's notice.  The treatment meted out to the native Dagoskans is so bad that even Glokta is disgusted by it.

Orientalism doesn't mean that the Eastern-type regions are presented as worse than the Western-type ones. It just means they are built around the harmful erroneous representations that allowed Europeans to assert their moral superiority over colonized lands.

The Union is just as cliché as Gurkhul but it's not a harmful cliché because it comes from within.

2 hours ago, Pilusmagnus said:

Orientalism doesn't mean that the Eastern-type regions are presented as worse than the Western-type ones. It just means they are built around the harmful erroneous representations that allowed Europeans to assert their moral superiority over colonized lands.

The Union is just as cliché as Gurkhul but it's not a harmful cliché because it comes from within.

I've always thought of orientalism as involving a kind of patronising contempt for supposedly more backward countries, trapped in superstition and sensuality.

That's not really the impression I get of Gurkhul..  People fear them.  They comment about how well-organised they are, and how formidable their armies are.  The people who underrate them are stupid.

Archived