Joe Abercrombie: The Collected Works 2 (A new trilogy on the horizon)

Rhom

11 hours ago, Rhom said:

He has all the books written already and will be editing them as the prior book releases to push them out.

Even without that approach, Joe has never been one to take excessive time between novels.

Hehehehehe. There’s humour in that phrase :P 

Not that I don’t believe him, just I’m fairly sure we have examples where’s this line hasn’t proved, um...entirely truthful...

3 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I’m fairly sure we have examples where’s this line hasn’t proved, um...entirely truthful...

Not with Joe Abercrombie. He has always delivered, and shares a bi-monthly post in his blog about his advance report including  the number of chapters completed since the last update.

44 minutes ago, The hairy bear said:

Not with Joe Abercrombie. He has always delivered, and shares a bi-monthly post in his blog about his advance report including  the number of chapters completed since the last update.

I wasn’t suggesting Abercrombie did. I just found the line funny because of other authors

On 7/15/2018 at 12:38 PM, HelenaExMachina said:

Hehehehehe. There’s humour in that phrase :P 

Not that I don’t believe him, just I’m fairly sure we have examples where’s this line hasn’t proved, um...entirely truthful...

He's the exception to the rule! But we should otherwise be skeptical of such promises. He's always stuck to a fairly good deadline and as you say he at least gives a heads up regarding progress or lack of with the impression he is actually working on it.

Even the current gap was after 4 books in 2 years and with him openly saying "I want to have the entire trilogy finished in first draft before realeasing any of them"

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, Werthead said:

A map of the First Law world.

Had some fun with this, mainly because Joe's not super-detailed like some other authors were, so it was a fairly straightforward map to put together.

I've seen some maps where the Angland/North continent was connected to the Starikland/Old Empire continent.

Is that definitely not the case? Because it does look better separated.

Nice map either way.

25 minutes ago, Calibandar said:

Did we take note yet of the fact that book 1,  (A Little Hatred ?) is coming out in April?

Orbit says it's 640 pages even, that is massive.

You have a link?

I've looked for the last 10-15 minutes and I can't find an April release date mention.

1 hour ago, SeanF said:

Defending the Union is a strategist's nightmare.

Though I suppose their strategy is pretty sound.

Instead of spreading their forces out they seem to keep the main army concentrated in Midland. They then deploy their professional force using the navy whenever something flares up, while relying on local forces to hold out until the main army arrives.

1 hour ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Though I suppose their strategy is pretty sound.

Instead of spreading their forces out they seem to keep the main army concentrated in Midland. They then deploy their professional force using the navy whenever something flares up, while relying on local forces to hold out until the main army arrives.

They seem to be permanently at war, with at least one enemy. From Sharp Ends, it looks like they just lost a war in Styria.

1 hour ago, Calibandar said:

Did we take note yet of the fact that book 1,  (A Little Hatred ?) is coming out in April?

Pretty sure that in his progress report for August, Joe confirmed a September 2019 publication date. 

I've seen some maps where the Angland/North continent was connected to the Starikland/Old Empire continent.

Is that definitely not the case? Because it does look better separated.

No, the map in Sharp Ends (on which this is based) clearly shows them as being separate.

Almost certainly erroneous. The book is 175,000 words, which is slightly longer than Red Country but a clear 15,000 words shorter than The Blade Itself and a lot shorter than the rest of the books in the world.

8 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

You have a link?

I've looked for the last 10-15 minutes and I can't find an April release date mention.

Yup. New listing up on Amazon. It could be that they settled on a date and it's April.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/031618716X/?coliid=I25YQWK1IEAVT1&colid=1OLSJR8OXYM1W&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.hachettebookgroup.com/titles/joe-abercrombie/new-joe-abercrombie-novel-1/9780316187169/

That said, he did say very recently it would be September.

Archived