Joe Abercrombie: The Collected Works 2 (A new trilogy on the horizon)

Rhom

14 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

You should read BSC again.

That was my thought too.

I'm already hyped at how a kid raised by Glokta would turn out. Ambitious, smart and with a huge chip on their shoulder (moreso if they know they are the king's bastard)

Prince Orso could be pretty interesting too - especially if Bayaz has been grooming him to be the next puppet. He might not just be a self-entitled brat.

52 minutes ago, red snow said:

Prince Orso could be pretty interesting too - especially if Bayaz has been grooming him to be the next puppet. He might not just be a self-entitled brat.

Joe does like to subvert expectations so Orso might well be a different character to the one suggested by the blurb. 

On 12/5/2018 at 8:08 AM, A True Kaniggit said:

So is that one supposed to be Isern? I think she fits the bill.

She does not seem to be a PoV character seeing as Joe named the four PoV characters in the blurb. 

As an aside, when is this set in relation to the original trilogy? I thought the heroes was set like 8 years after the last argument of kings but if that is the case then how could the children be that young seeing as Brock didn't have a kid by then and Jezal already had a bunch of kids by the time of the heroes.

3 hours ago, Bankmannen said:

As an aside, when is this set in relation to the original trilogy? I thought the heroes was set like 8 years after the last argument of kings but if that is the case then how could the children be that young seeing as Brock didn't have a kid by then and Jezal already had a bunch of kids by the time of the heroes.

The Heroes takes place around 7 years after TLAOK. The new trilogy starts off around 21 years after The Heroes.

TLAOK - year 576-577

The Heroes - year 584

New Trilogy (book 1) - year 605

4 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Look in the comments of the blurb on his site. Joe states there will be 3 other PoVs besides the ones mentioned.

I thought Jacopo Murcatto would be a point of view but he would be in his mid-twenties, which would not fit.

If there's a Styrian point of view, then I expect it will be one of the children of Shenkt and Vitari (early thirties would fit).

1 hour ago, SeanF said:

I thought Jacopo Murcatto would be a point of view but he would be in his mid-twenties, which would not fit.

If there's a Styrian point of view, then I expect it will be one of the children of Shenkt and Vitari (early thirties would fit).

It would be fantastic to have one of the get of Shenkt and Vitari as a pov.

Due to the series being focused on a revolution, I am almost certain Jezal will be executed by the rebels. The man is a perfect Nicholas II/Louis XVI sort of figure.

I could see Savine being appointed to lead the post-revolutionary government on account of her biological father.

I wonder how Finree will react to her son being a soldier. Considering her disdain for war by the end of The Heroes, she's probably not all that enthused.

I'm very curious to find out if Tomolei will play a role in this series. Could explosives produced by the industrial revolution in this series lead to the House of the Maker being breached and Tomolei being released?

6 minutes ago, Cithrin's Ale said:

Due to the series being focused on a revolution, I am almost certain Jezal will be executed by the rebels. The man is a perfect Nicholas II/Louis XVI sort of figure.

I could see Savine being appointed to lead the post-revolutionary government on account of her biological father.

I wonder how Finree will react to her son being a soldier. Considering her disdain for war by the end of The Heroes, she's probably not all that enthused.

I'm very curious to find out if Tomolei will play a role in this series. Could explosives produced by the industrial revolution in this series lead to the House of the Maker being breached and Tomolei being released?

I see it as being rather like late 19th century Russia too.  Rapid industrialisation and a newly radicalised urban working class.  In such a situation, I'd imagine Glokta as being like a Tsarist secret police chief, with the Inquisition clamping down on every sign of dissent, and behind it all, Bayaz insisting on increased repression.

20 hours ago, red snow said:

I'm already hyped at how a kid raised by Glokta would turn out. Ambitious, smart and with a huge chip on their shoulder (moreso if they know they are the king's bastard)

A year ago, Joe gave info about three of the POVs.

One character had an italicised internal voice a la Glokta that I decided to remove.  Just wasn’t really helping.  Rather than it naturally slipping into the prose it felt like I was constantly looking for excuses to include it, so it needed to go.  With Glokta, the italicised voice is the acid things he chooses not to say.  With Gorst, in the Heroes, the same thing worked because he hardly speaks at all.  In the case of this character, though, she’s pretty acid and forthcoming in person, so the thoughts weren’t really adding much she wouldn’t say to someone’s face.  Better that she say it to their face.

A second character then started off with much too sophisticated a voice, and needed to be much more blunt and bluff, less introspective, less a thinker and more an unthinking doer, as well as both more admirable, brave and generous, on the one hand, but also more toxic, heedless and prejudiced on the other.  More intensity altogether. 

Inspired by Dave Bautista in Blade Runner I gave one guy incongruous little glasses – just gives the character a sense of softness and sensitivity he’s otherwise very lacking.  Plus when things go wrong the fact he can’t actually see who anyone is adds a layer of confusion and danger to proceedings…

The first one is clearly Savine. I guess the second is Leo, and the other Orso (although it could also be one of the unknown POVs)

4 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I would like to see Ferro again. Has Joe mentioned whether this is likely in any of his updates?

In some AMA Joe was asked if we would see Ferro and his reply was "not directy".

51 minutes ago, The hairy bear said:

One character had an italicised internal voice a la Glokta that I decided to remove.  Just wasn’t really helping.  Rather than it naturally slipping into the prose it felt like I was constantly looking for excuses to include it, so it needed to go.  With Glokta, the italicised voice is the acid things he chooses not to say.  With Gorst, in the Heroes, the same thing worked because he hardly speaks at all.  In the case of this character, though, she’s pretty acid and forthcoming in person, so the thoughts weren’t really adding much she wouldn’t say to someone’s face.  Better that she say it to their face.

A second character then started off with much too sophisticated a voice, and needed to be much more blunt and bluff, less introspective, less a thinker and more an unthinking doer, as well as both more admirable, brave and generous, on the one hand, but also more toxic, heedless and prejudiced on the other.  More intensity altogether. 

Inspired by Dave Bautista in Blade Runner I gave one guy incongruous little glasses – just gives the character a sense of softness and sensitivity he’s otherwise very lacking.  Plus when things go wrong the fact he can’t actually see who anyone is adds a layer of confusion and danger to proceedings…

The first one is clearly Savine. I guess the second is Leo, and the other Orso (although it could also be one of the unknown POVs)

How many of the original main characters should we expect in this new trilogy? Will Logen be in it? Because I can see Joe giving an old Logen a pair of small glasses as his eye-sight is failing. Logen would be a man who lacks softness and sensitivity otherwise. 

All we know of Prince Orso is that he is irresponsible. So I doubt any Bayaz lessons really rubbed off on him. 

3 hours ago, SeanF said:

I see it as being rather like late 19th century Russia too.  Rapid industrialisation and a newly radicalised urban working class.  In such a situation, I'd imagine Glokta as being like a Tsarist secret police chief, with the Inquisition clamping down on every sign of dissent, and behind it all, Bayaz insisting on increased repression.

So we need shenkt as our Rasputin? Or someone who's hard to kill anyway :)

52 minutes ago, The hairy bear said:

In some AMA Joe was asked if we would see Ferro and his reply was "not directy".

The second one could be Orso but agree the "unthinking doer" sounds more military. Hopefully we'll get one character who's a genius with artifice/mechanics as it could be someone who's powerful despite a diminuitive frame. The glasses and Bautista in blade runner 2049 looking down a microscope sprung to mind (not the diminuitive frame though!).

Ferro's kid could be stour nightfall as they'd be in their 30s based on the rough timeline?

I'm surprised how excited I'm starting to get now the trilogy is feeling "real"

3 hours ago, Corvinus said:

How many of the original main characters should we expect in this new trilogy? Will Logen be in it? Because I can see Joe giving an old Logen a pair of small glasses as his eye-sight is failing. Logen would be a man who lacks softness and sensitivity otherwise. 

Logen was pretty darn old during Red Country, and this is 15 years later, living the type of life he lives... He should be dead. His riding off into the sunset was as good an ending as he could get, I hope we don't see him again.

1 hour ago, The BlackBear said:

Logen was pretty darn old during Red Country, and this is 15 years later, living the type of life he lives... He should be dead. His riding off into the sunset was as good an ending as he could get, I hope we don't see him again.

I agree.  I do hope we see the Bloody Nine again though (and get that question answered). 

Archived