Joe Abercrombie: The Collected Works 2 (A new trilogy on the horizon)

Rhom

16 hours ago, The hairy bear said:

Inspired by Dave Bautista in Blade Runner I gave one guy incongruous little glasses – just gives the character a sense of softness and sensitivity he’s otherwise very lacking.  Plus when things go wrong the fact he can’t actually see who anyone is adds a layer of confusion and danger to proceedings…

The first one is clearly Savine. I guess the second is Leo, and the other Orso (although it could also be one of the unknown POVs)

Could that third one be an old man Gorst? I'd like to see him again.

Abercrombie says himself in the blog linked by hairybear that Logen would be late 60s, so not unworkable at all.  The hard dude in the little round glasses is probably somebody else though.

Also from the comments:

James,
Savine and Orso are in their late 20s, Leo and Rikke 21 or so. The other three PoVs are older, ranging from early 30s to late 40s.

Baptiste,
This trilogy is very much centred on the North and the Union, with a bit of Styria.

<George> Hi Joe, is there any chance my boy Shivers shows up? Curious to see what happened to him? Too vicious to die i hope…

George,
Every chance, I’d say…

<Alex> Hi Joe, eagerly waiting any new content. You mentioned that Styria would take a smaller proportion and I was wondering what roles Jappo, Tee, Kande and Cas the junior would play in this game.

Alex,
At least one of those characters appears…

20 hours ago, red snow said:

So we need shenkt as our Rasputin? Or someone who's hard to kill anyway :)

I imagine that in the new world of science and industry, people going round dressed in armour and gold braid will suddenly look like anachronisms. The Inquisition, on the other hand, is a very modern institution, and could easily transform itself into the secret police force of a revolutionary government.

5 hours ago, The Drunkard said:

Could that third one be an old man Gorst? I'd like to see him again.

Joe said that no old POV is returning. So Gorst or Logen are not the man with glasses.

In fact, he has just said the the age of the unknown POVs ranges from "early 30s to late 40s". That means that the oldest of them may be at most 20 during the First Law Trilogy, 29 years ago. That limits the pool of known characters a lot. I honestly can't think of anyone who fits.

21 hours ago, Corvinus said:

How many of the original main characters should we expect in this new trilogy?

None as a POV, but if I'm not wrong he has already confirmed the appearances of Glokta, Gorst, Dogman, Shivers, Bayaz, Vitari, Shenkt, and Isern-i-Phail.

He has also confirmed that we won't be seing Ferro, Shy, Temple, Shev, Javre, Carcolf, and Crummock-i-Phail.

4 minutes ago, The hairy bear said:

Crummock-i-Phail.

Isn't he dead by now?  I always thought he was older than Logen, possibly significantly older.  And living up in the mountains isn't exactly a recipe for longevity.   

21 minutes ago, The hairy bear said:

Joe said that no old POV is returning. So Gorst or Logen are not the man with glasses.

In fact, he has just said the the age of the unknown POVs ranges from "early 30s to late 40s". That means that the oldest of them may be at most 20 during the First Law Trilogy, 29 years ago. That limits the pool of known characters a lot. I honestly can't think of anyone who fits.

None as a POV, but if I'm not wrong he has already confirmed the appearances of Glokta, Gorst, Dogman, Shivers, Bayaz, Vitari, Shenkt, and Isern-i-Phail.

He has also confirmed that we won't be seing Ferro, Shy, Temple, Shev, Javre, Carcolf, and Crummock-i-Phail.

It's odd that shy and temple aren't appearing as it sounded from his reread he really enjoyed those characters.

5 hours ago, The hairy bear said:

No Shev or Javre? :(

On 12/6/2018 at 6:36 PM, The hairy bear said:

A year ago, Joe gave info about three of the POVs.

One character had an italicised internal voice a la Glokta that I decided to remove.  Just wasn’t really helping.  Rather than it naturally slipping into the prose it felt like I was constantly looking for excuses to include it, so it needed to go.  With Glokta, the italicised voice is the acid things he chooses not to say.  With Gorst, in the Heroes, the same thing worked because he hardly speaks at all.  In the case of this character, though, she’s pretty acid and forthcoming in person, so the thoughts weren’t really adding much she wouldn’t say to someone’s face.  Better that she say it to their face.

A second character then started off with much too sophisticated a voice, and needed to be much more blunt and bluff, less introspective, less a thinker and more an unthinking doer, as well as both more admirable, brave and generous, on the one hand, but also more toxic, heedless and prejudiced on the other.  More intensity altogether. 

Inspired by Dave Bautista in Blade Runner I gave one guy incongruous little glasses – just gives the character a sense of softness and sensitivity he’s otherwise very lacking.  Plus when things go wrong the fact he can’t actually see who anyone is adds a layer of confusion and danger to proceedings…

The first one is clearly Savine. I guess the second is Leo, and the other Orso (although it could also be one of the unknown POVs)

In some AMA Joe was asked if we would see Ferro and his reply was "not directy".

Shame  about Ferro. Wonder if we see a potential child of hers? 

I have a strong desire to reread. Been too long

7 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

No Shev or Javre? :(

Shame  about Ferro. Wonder if we see a potential child of hers? 

I'd always hoped we'd see a Ferro/Logen child in the series. Could you imagine their daughter? She would certainly be a fearsome thing to behold.

But I don't think the timeframe of when they were last together to when we last see her in The Last Argument of Kings works out.

...... Unless people with demon blood have different gestation periods!

Logen almost certainly has a few bastards running around, but whether they know, or would want to claim his legacy is another matter.

You'd eventually think Ferro would have to be dealt with, given that she's got demons in her head constantly trying to get her to summon them? (I forget exactly what they want.) And whilst she's tenacious enough to ignore them for now, no one can hold out forever.

4 hours ago, Andrew Gilfellon said:

one of the POV not mentioned in the blurb is PECK. I know this because I have seen a rough draft.

I suspect this is from a "mosaic" chapter, with the POV jumping through a number of minor characters, similar to a few from The Heroes. In his updates Joe has stated there will be two such chapters in the book, one a battle scene and one the testing of a machine that goes spectacularly wrong, This is from the former I guess,

I'm super excited to read the new trilogy! I'm tempted to buy the hardcover edition even though I own the previous seven in paperback. I think I was in my senior year in high school when Joe first mentioned a second trilogy (back in 2013) and the first book is going to be published just after I finish college. I'm kind of sad that Joe mentioned in one of the coments that they're probably going to change the cover format though  :(  

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 10:59 AM, SeanF said:

I think Logen's story is done.

there were lots of people claiming that prior to "Red Country" as well. I certainly hope we don't see him again unless Joe has a great use for him. Although part of me wants his story to be done just so I can hope he had a happy(ish) ending. That said it doesn't really fit with his type of character to get that kind of ending.

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 10:12 PM, Nicomo Cosca said:

I'm super excited to read the new trilogy! I'm tempted to buy the hardcover edition even though I own the previous seven in paperback. I think I was in my senior year in high school when Joe first mentioned a second trilogy (back in 2013) and the first book is going to be published just after I finish college. I'm kind of sad that Joe mentioned in one of the coments that they're probably going to change the cover format though  :(  

I really hope they don't ditch the parchment style covers! Maybe he was meaning the reprint covers (which are nice in their own way)

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 12:22 PM, The BlackBear said:

Logen almost certainly has a few bastards running around, but whether they know, or would want to claim his legacy is another matter.

You'd eventually think Ferro would have to be dealt with, given that she's got demons in her head constantly trying to get her to summon them? (I forget exactly what they want.) And whilst she's tenacious enough to ignore them for now, no one can hold out forever.

Maybe she gave birth to the demons with her and Logen's child? That would have reduced her insanity a little.

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 6:51 AM, A True Kaniggit said:

I'd always hoped we'd see a Ferro/Logen child in the series. Could you imagine their daughter? She would certainly be a fearsome thing to behold.

But I don't think the timeframe of when they were last together to when we last see her in The Last Argument of Kings works out.

...... Unless people with demon blood have different gestation periods!

This is when that timeline would be nice to have on hand along the side of the webpage. Couldn't Logen/Ferro's child be one of the 30s/40s POVs? or would they be too old? Failing that said child could easily be one of the non POV characters. 

Archived