Joe Abercrombie: The Collected Works 2 (A new trilogy on the horizon)

Rhom

On 1/25/2019 at 1:41 PM, BigFatCoward said:

i'd be in, though i'd never stick to the schedule of only one a month.  As its a reread its not like the early posting of spoilers would matter though.

Yeah, i think people can still join in the discussion even if behind schedule and always worth bringing up points of interest while reading anyhow.

On 1/25/2019 at 2:53 PM, HelenaExMachina said:

I was planning a reread too so I'd be happy to join in. Be interested to see how TBI holds up, as I recall it being significantly weaker and only really getting into the series with the second book (luckily I bought the trilogy as a bundle so didn't drop it!)

I'm curious too as it was only the last couple of chapters where i felt it was showing real potential. Before that it felt more parody/pratchett like although this was after reading ASOIAF so it might be more that it took time to adjust. Maybe I'll like it more knowing where it was actually going. Plus i wont be traveling through turkey this time so might be more invested

Great then!

This would be the February schedule, with the parts to discuss every week starting the following Mondays!

FEBRUARY: THE BLADE ITSELF

• 4/Feb/19 -> Part 1 (chapters 1-9): The End, The Survivors, Questions, No Choice at All, Playing With Knives, Teeth and Fingers, The Wide and Barren North, Fencing Practice, The Morning Ritual.
  • 11/Feb/19 -> Part 1 (Chapters 10-19): First of the Magi, The Good Man, On the List, An Offer and a Gift, The King of the Northmen, A Road Between Two Dentists, Flatheads, The Course of True Love, How Dogs Are Trained, Tea and Vengeance Trained, Tea and Vengeance.
  • 18/Feb/19 -> Part 2 (Chapters 20-32): What Freedom Looks Like, The King's Justice, Means of Escape, Three Signs, The Theatrical Outfitter's, Barbarians at the Gate, Next, Better than Death, Sore Thumb, Questions, Nobility, Dark Work, Words and Dust.
  • 25/Feb/19 -> Part 2 (Chapters 33-46): The Remarkable Talents of Bro. Longfoot, Her Kind Fight Everything, She Loves Me… Not, The Seed, Never Bet Against a Magus, The Ideal Audience, The House of the Maker, Nobody's Dog, Every Man Worships Himself, Old Friends, Back to the Mud, Misery, The Bloody-Nine, The Tools We Have.

So, in a week, we can start discussing the first nine chapters! :)

9 hours ago, The hairy bear said:

Great then!

This would be the February schedule, with the parts to discuss every week starting the following Mondays!

FEBRUARY: THE BLADE ITSELF

• 4/Feb/19 -> Part 1 (chapters 1-9): The End, The Survivors, Questions, No Choice at All, Playing With Knives, Teeth and Fingers, The Wide and Barren North, Fencing Practice, The Morning Ritual.
  • 11/Feb/19 -> Part 1 (Chapters 10-19): First of the Magi, The Good Man, On the List, An Offer and a Gift, The King of the Northmen, A Road Between Two Dentists, Flatheads, The Course of True Love, How Dogs Are Trained, Tea and Vengeance Trained, Tea and Vengeance.
  • 18/Feb/19 -> Part 2 (Chapters 20-32): What Freedom Looks Like, The King's Justice, Means of Escape, Three Signs, The Theatrical Outfitter's, Barbarians at the Gate, Next, Better than Death, Sore Thumb, Questions, Nobility, Dark Work, Words and Dust.
  • 25/Feb/19 -> Part 2 (Chapters 33-46): The Remarkable Talents of Bro. Longfoot, Her Kind Fight Everything, She Loves Me… Not, The Seed, Never Bet Against a Magus, The Ideal Audience, The House of the Maker, Nobody's Dog, Every Man Worships Himself, Old Friends, Back to the Mud, Misery, The Bloody-Nine, The Tools We Have.

So, in a week, we can start discussing the first nine chapters! :)

You are very organised!

29 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Indeed. That is more effort than I put to my last promotion. 

29 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Indeed. That is more effort than I put to my last promotion. 

I think hairy bear is positioning themselves to be the authority on "what order to read Abercrombie in". I'm glad to accept otherwise we'd need to schedule a few weeks to debate this highly subjective and controversial matter.

I know yall have a reread going but I have a question now.

Who is Bethod's witch and does she in any way fit the bigger picture?  Or is she truly a one-off power with her own motivations. I couldn't find any references to her being connected to Bayaz or the Prophet.   

Ok. On the reread. I just want to clear some things up since initial discussion starts Monday, only 3 days away.

First. This is the thread we're using right?, the general Joe Abercrombie thread, or is another being made specifically for the reread?

Second. Spoilers tags. Just want to confirm we're not using them before I start posting. This thread is not specifically First Law. And I don't won't to ruin the story for someone who joins the forum, looks at the Abercrombie thread unaware of the reread, and sees something they weren't expecting.

2 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Ok. On the reread. I just want to clear some things up since initial discussion starts Monday, only 3 days away.

First. This is the thread we're using right?, the general Joe Abercrombie thread, or is another being made specifically for the reread?

Second. Spoilers tags. Just want to confirm we're not using them before I start posting. This thread is not specifically First Law. And I don't won't to ruin the story for someone who joins the forum, looks at the Abercrombie thread unaware of the reread, and sees something they weren't expecting.

I think a new thread, and keep this one for news andgeneral questions like SkynJay’s

5 hours ago, SkynJay said:

I know yall have a reread going but I have a question now.

Who is Bethod's witch and does she in any way fit the bigger picture?  Or is she truly a one-off power with her own motivations. I couldn't find any references to her being connected to Bayaz or the Prophet.   

There is speculation on the First Law wiki that Dogman's daughter, Rikke, in the upcoming A Little Hatred may somehow be related to Caurib since both have the gift of the Long Eye.

As far as the first trilogy, she just seemed like a one-off. A sort of Wormtongue.

10 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I think a new thread, and keep this one for news andgeneral questions like SkynJay’s

A new thread is definitely tidier as we can keep this for general chat/anticipation/speculation for the new book.

I suggest "First law - second read" as a thread title :) Edit: or "best served again".

Just trying to get a Vietnam book finished beforehand.

10 hours ago, red snow said:

A new thread is definitely tidier as we can keep this for general chat/anticipation/speculation for the new book.

I suggest "First law - second read" as a thread title :) Edit: or "best served again".

Just trying to get a Vietnam book finished beforehand.

I like where your mind is on both of these. Though I think we we should use the First Law reference first, and then the Best Served Cold reference when we get nearer to that book. I highly doubt this reread shall be contained to only one thread. You know what? I'm going to go ahead and start the thread.

Oh. And a random guess on the Vietnam book. Matterhorn?

5 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

I like where your mind is on both of these. Though I think we we should use the First Law reference first, and then the Best Served Cold reference when we get nearer to that book. I highly doubt this reread shall be contained to only one thread. You know what? I'm going to go ahead and start the thread.

Oh. And a random guess on the Vietnam book. Matterhorn?

This one is the non fiction max Hastings take on Vietnam but I've had Matterhorn for at least 8 years now and it's pretty criminal i haven't got round to it. I think the history update might help me as beyond movies and a trip to Vietnam this is the first detailed exposure I've had of the war (including the preceding french conflict) so i might be more willing to try Matterhorn finally. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/23/2019 at 8:25 AM, ير بال said:

Well i had forgotten until i just checked - seems it was with the initial release too not the expansion:

"The best steel doesn't always shine the brightest."

When is this said? Is it by Logen when he picks a weapon when Bayaz lets him choose from his arsenal?

I think I mentioned this before somewhere on here, it seems to me that Logen might be a demon actually, I seem to remember his wording suggesting something similar to what Fenrig said, how he was a part of ancient battles. I may have misremembered but at one point Logen mentions demons as part of him, but the way he phrased it can be understood in different ways.

Archived