Joe Abercrombie: The Collected Works 2 (A new trilogy on the horizon)

Rhom

2 hours ago, Triskele said:

So is that pretty much a confirmation that we're getting the next First Law book this September at last?  

At last? This is a website devoted to GRRM. Bit of perspective!

Can't wait, I'm on holiday the week after it comes out. 

His novels set in the First Law world have sold over three quarters of a million copies. This is the first full novel set in the world since 2012's Red Country.

I think it's closer to 5 million, so I assume those figures are US-only. I also wonder if they're only counting the trilogy and not the other three books.

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

At last? This is a website devoted to GRRM. Bit of perspective!

Can't wait, I'm on holiday the week after it comes out. 

I thinm triskele means at last in regards to confirming September rather than about a delay between books

9 hours ago, Triskele said:

That is more of what I meant for sure...just wanting to confirm that we were about as solid as we could be on when we were going to get the next book.  

Now that is not to say that my "at last" was entirely tootheless.  But I think if one looks at things in terms of time since Last Argument of Kings it's sure been a while.  Of course, JA has provided lots of great stuff in between, and I do appreciate that.  But can anyone blame me if I'm dying for the follow-up to LAoK?  I know that many of you are too.  

Wasn't the follow-up to last argument of kings, BSC?

It's set after laok, features returning characters and continues the story. I think it's somewhat inaccurate to portray things as if we haven't had any material since laok. If the argument is "featuring glokta, bayaz, logen, Jezal and ferro" it seems like at least two of those are very unlikely and that the rest are likely to be peripheral characters.

However it being 7 years since red country was out means I'm also looking forward to how the series continues.

1 hour ago, Triskele said:

My understanding was that this next trilogy was supposed to be a bit more of a direct sequel to the first trilogy whereas BSC, tH, and RC were more indirect standalones to that first first series that only barely moves that along.

That's how it's being sold but i really don't count the stand alones as side stories. Plus i don't think we are ever getting a continuation of the characters as POVs. I think it will be very similar to the shattered seas books in the sense each book skipped a generation (or kept moving ahead 8 years while following the youngest characters) while continuing the story.

I think we might set ourselves up for disappointment if we go into next book thinking Glokta and Jezal are at the forefront.

5 hours ago, red snow said:

However it being 7 years since red country was out means I'm also looking forward to how the series continues.

I had to check. I thought you were an idiot. Can't beleive its been 7 years. 

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

I had to check. I thought you were an idiot. Can't beleive its been 7 years. 

I also had to double check thinking it can't be seven years. Also pretty shocked in general how it's seven years since 2012. Old man complaints about where the time has gone!

2 hours ago, red snow said:

I also had to double check thinking it can't be seven years. Also pretty shocked in general how it's seven years since 2012. Old man complaints about where the time has gone!

We sound like Logen and dab sweet, 'Summers past love company'.

On 4/1/2019 at 1:46 PM, End of Disc One said:

fuck

To be fair they wouldn't promote it as "completely unaccessible unless you've read the other 6 books" but it does fit with what i was saying yesterday about this not been a direct continuation of the first trilogy but as a continuation of the series as a whole.

I wonder when we'll be getting GOT comparisons in reviews/promo work? That's a sign of how long it is since red country was released. GOT has become a worldwide TV hit (which it wasn't quite by season 2)

Doesnt really concern me. Robin Hobb’s works can technically be jumped into without having read the others (she intentionally set out to do this) but they are definitely a continuation of ansingle overarching story, i imagine something similar here.

And who knows maybe it will reignite the Abercrombie reading order talks....

54 minutes ago, Cithrin's Ale said:

Not quite sure how Abercrombie is perfect for Rothfuss and Sanderson fans, myself.

I can see how some Rothfuss fans might appreciate a series where they can be confident that they'll actually get to read the final book in a trilogy.

9 hours ago, williamjm said:

I can see how some Rothfuss fans might appreciate a series where they can be confident that they'll actually get to read the final book in a trilogy.

Don't know what you mean, Doors of Stone was written years ago. We're just waiting for the final polish...

10 hours ago, Cithrin's Ale said:

Not quite sure how Abercrombie is perfect for Rothfuss and Sanderson fans, myself.

Aside from obligatory jokes of actually finishing the work you started, I liked both, Name of the Wind and everything Abercrombie wrote. Completely different feels when reading either, but enjoyable altogether.

If I'm going to call myself a fan, I'd say that I'm Abercrombie's fan though.

20 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Doesnt really concern me. Robin Hobb’s works can technically be jumped into without having read the others (she intentionally set out to do this) but they are definitely a continuation of ansingle overarching story, i imagine something similar here.

And who knows maybe it will reignite the Abercrombie reading order talks....

Reading order debates are long overdue!

18 hours ago, williamjm said:

It might come as a shock that Joe has actually written the entire trilogy prior to the release of book 1?

Joe spends a lot of tine playing video games so there's that. Not sure he spends much time selling merchandise though

Archived