Joe Abercrombie: The Collected Works 2 (A new trilogy on the horizon)

Rhom

6 hours ago, Nicomo Cosca said:

Just noticed that the new trilogy has a name! Don't know if this was confirmed earlier:

A Little Hatred will be coming to the UK from Gollancz on the 19th of September this year, in Hardcover, E-Book and Audio read by the incomparable Steven Pacey.  It’s the first in a trilogy we’re calling The Age of Madness, and books 2 and 3: The Trouble with Peace and The Beautiful Machine are already drafted and should follow yearly in September 2020 and 2021.  Such is the plan."

On 4/4/2019 at 12:42 PM, Nicomo Cosca said:

I'll miss the parchment style of the series so far but thematically it makes sense to change the trade dress now there's an industrial revolution occurring in the world. It might not be the only change we are in store for.

18 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Savine dan Glokta – socialite, investor,

She should have much to talk about with Bayaz lol.

Bayaz actually seems to have a soft spot (as much as he can have one) for ambitious people. He was amused by Finree's ambition in The Heroes and ended up indulging it.

6 hours ago, Cithrin's Ale said:

Bayaz actually seems to have a soft spot (as much as he can have one) for ambitious people. He was amused by Finree's ambition in The Heroes and ended up indulging it.

I do think he is capable of respecting others for their strength and tenacity-Finree may not be a warrior, but she is not afraid to pursue what she wants. I have to say I love the character. I believe someone compared her to being just another Ardree. I feel that’s woefully unfair. 

With the industrial revolution occurring, I wonder if we'll get a small mention of the Union sending their equivalent of Conquistadors to pillage the primitives in the lands outside the Circle of the World. They are a sea power, and by this stage they should absolutely have ships capable of circumnavigation. 

On 4/7/2019 at 5:23 AM, Varysblackfyre321 said:

I do think he is capable of respecting others for their strength and tenacity-Finree may not be a warrior, but she is not afraid to pursue what she wants. I have to say I love the character. I believe someone compared her to being just another Ardree. I feel that’s woefully unfair. 

She's ruthlessly ambitious, which is not particularly attractive IMHO.

On 4/11/2019 at 12:26 AM, Yohn said:

She's ruthlessly ambitious, which is not particularly attractive IMHO.

Ambitious yes. But Ruthless? Not particularly. Else she wouldn’t actively have put herself at odds with those who do have more power than her to try to protect the weak and helpless, even if it could result in her destruction. If she was Ruthless, she would’ve immediately forgotten about Aliz instead she  tries to secure her release when Dow is bargaining with her on what could be done to secure a peace. It’s only after Dow points out if Finree doesn’t relent on this she’ll accomplish nothing-no pows will be released, Finree also would probably be taken by Stranger come knocking who’d rape her in order to beget children on her. And even then she still tries to secure Aliz’s freedom during the negotiations between Dow and her father.

Reading order debates are long overdue!

I'm still trying to figure out how there was ever a debate about a series consisting of six novels taking place in linear order one after the other, but there you go.

22 minutes ago, Werthead said:

I'm still trying to figure out how there was ever a debate about a series consisting of six novels taking place in linear order one after the other, but there you go.

Heretic!

Burn the witch!

On 4/13/2019 at 6:43 AM, Varysblackfyre321 said:

I’m curious if Curnisbeck and Majud will play a part in the story. 

It seems they were ahead of the game when it came to industrialization so they may be important businessmen in the industrial setting of A Little Hatred. They also realized the importance of coal (it MIGHT have been oil, but from what I recall, it was coal) in the new economic system beginning to emerge in Red Country. Curiously enough, a branch of Valint and Balk was opening up in Crease towards the end of Red Country; perhaps they interacted with Valint and Balk and are now pawns of Bayaz?

Wert, I think a lot of it has to do with marketing the three novels following the original trilogy as standalones. This seems to have confused a lot of new readers.

On 4/14/2019 at 7:49 AM, Cithrin's Ale said:

It seems they were ahead of the game when it came to industrialization so they may be important businessmen in the industrial setting of A Little Hatred. They also realized the importance of coal (it MIGHT have been oil, but from what I recall, it was coal) in the new economic system beginning to emerge in Red Country. Curiously enough, a branch of Valint and Balk was opening up in Crease towards the end of Red Country; perhaps they interacted with Valint and Balk and are now pawns of Bayaz?

Wert, I think a lot of it has to do with marketing the three novels following the original trilogy as standalones. This seems to have confused a lot of new readers.

Ah, now I’m dreading the prospect of them appearing. Curnisbeck seemed such a good soul. And an easy prey for someone like Bayaz. Odds are he’d be be tricked into basically being Bayaz’s slave through dedt. 

17 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Ah, now I’m dreading the prospect of them appearing. Curnisbeck seemed such a good soul. And an easy prey for someone like Bayaz. Odds are he’d be be tricked into basically being Bayaz’s slave through dedt. 

I got that feel at the start.  Remember what Yoru Sulfur said about the first policy of V&B being to work with what they find before they strive to change it and it was Curnisbeck who was absent for a considerable part of the story because he was in Adua and we all know what that means.  The really theme of First Law for good or bad is that the choice you have is between the Gurkish and the Union. 

Murcatto tried to do something different and all she probably did (long term) was piss them both off.  If you read the short story "Freedom" it was the union that survived to write the history. 

8 minutes ago, Crazydog7 said:

I got that feel at the start.  Remember what Yoru Sulfur said about the first policy of V&B being to work with what they find before they strive to change it and it was Curnisbeck who was absent for a considerable part of the story because he was in Adua and we all know what that means.  The really theme of First Law for good or bad is that the choice you have is between the Gurkish and the Union. 

Murcatto tried to do something different and all she probably did (long term) was piss them both off.  If you read the short story "Freedom" it was the union that survived to write the history. 

I never read it, it was too stupid and annoying, what happened to confirm the union won?

1 minute ago, Crazydog7 said:

I was just going to PM you and then I thought I would post this for people who didn't know about it. 

https://www.amazon.com/Sharp-Ends-Stories-World-First/dp/031639081X/ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1555515349&sr=8-1-fkmrnull

I have sharp ends, i just gave up on Freedom almost immediately, now it looks like i have to go back and finish it, if it contains useful info. 

Archived