Joe Abercrombie: The Collected Works 2 (A new trilogy on the horizon)

Rhom

7 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

In the new trilogy I cannot help but fear that any movement we see concerned with  giving  political, and social rights to the downtrodden, particularly a movement focused on the workers in this new Industrial Age, will merely be co-opted, and eventually destroyed by Bayaz.

Thats pretty much a given since he used the so-called peasant revolt and the “Tanner” to help raise Jezal to King. Bayaz doesn’t give a flying fig about anyone, common or noble, and he certainly doesnt seem to hold any progressive ideas on social mobility. Marovia was the only one who comes to mind who seemed to genuinely want change

It's odd that Bayaz is trying to utilize the advancement in technology, instead of trying to suppress it.

The more advanced the weapons get, the more likely he's going to be killed by a random bullet/artillery shell. He probably doesn't recognize the danger these weapons present to him yet.

Gunpowder, the great equalizer.

Edit: Never you mind.

3 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

It's odd that Bayaz is trying to utilize the advancement in technology, instead of trying to suppress it.

The more advanced the weapons get, the more likely he's going to be killed by a random bullet/artillery shell. He probably doesn't recognize the danger these weapons present to him yet.

Edit: Never you mind.

He's simply so consumed with destroying his adversaries that he doesn't care.

He still also has his magic which might still be enough to repel ballistic attacks on him. He just needs to deflect them. Short range attacks it's probably relatively easy for him to stop sparks igniting gunpowder.

I don't think the new weapons are a threat to him physically. The long term risk of creating civilizations advanced enough to no longer have any use for him or even fear him goes back to him not caring as long as he destroys khalul.

2 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

While you're right that the technology does pose some dangers for him (and it's not clear how much he's anticipated this), I still think encouraging technology is the right thing to do. If the Gurkish or the Styrians managed to develop gunpowder weapons while the Union's technology was stagnating then Bayaz's plans would be in serious trouble.

Latest progress report on the new trilogy :

April comes, the buds open, my garden is filled with green, etc. etc.

Had a lot of bits and pieces going on over this most recent period – spent most of march working on an unrelated project, plus we had easter holidays, and I’m going through a major upgrade and redesign of the website (which is looking great and will hopefully be installed in the next couple of months). Then I was asked to write an introduction for the Folio Society’s new ultra-nice hardcover edition of A Game of Thrones, which I was very pleased to do, as (probably to no one’s surprise) it was a hugely important and influential book for me.  It fairly blew my mind when I first read it back in the 90s: it showed you could do something character-focused, gritty and shocking while still staying very much within the sandbox of epic fantasy.  I might never have started writing seriously without it – certainly what I wrote wouldn’t have been the same.

The upshot of all this is that there haven’t been huge strides forward with the new trilogy, which we’re now calling The Age of Madness.  But work has continued, nonetheless.  Mostly on re-writing the last quarter of the last book, which needed some re-thinking, a couple of new scenes and one big new chapter.  Plenty of work still to do to smooth it all off but hopefully the basic shape is there now – it brings the main characters back together in a more satisfying way than the original draft, mirrors the end of the first book and gives more space to take stock of how they and their relationships have changed.

The UK cover for A Little Hatred is now done, and the US cover is definitely getting there, hopefully to be revealed in the next month or two.  I also wrote a little short story to go in the Waterstones hardcover edition of the book as an exclusive.  Nothing at all essential but hopefully a pleasing confection for those that get it, and that kind of thing definitely does help retailers to give a book a push.

And then I read the page proofs of A Little Hatred over the last few days.  It’s always interesting seeing a book properly typeset – it gives it a new level of polish and authority.  It’s also, at least for me, the first time I just read a book of mine through in order without being constantly distracted by what needs to be changed or tweaked or rewritten.  I find one’s feelings about a book don’t really crystallise until some time after it’s come out, and you have the chance to process all the many different things readers have to say, but I think I’m about as pleased with it as I’ve ever been with a book at this point.  Time will tell whether that continues…

With the first book fresh in my mind it’s now time to look back at the second – which I think is now in pretty good shape but could certainly do with another go over in a couple of areas.  Then I’d like to go straight onto the third and really crunch through to make a strong 2nd draft.  Thereafter I can hopefully work on books 2 and 3 together as a unit, looking at the details of character, setting and language.  That kind of work is something I can pick up and put down a bit more easily, which is just as well as by that point we’ll probably be getting close to the release of A Little Hatred in September, and there’ll be all kinds of other demands on my time…

1 hour ago, Yohn said:

Plenty of work still to do to smooth it all off but hopefully the basic shape is there now – it brings the main characters back together in a more satisfying way than the original draft, mirrors the end of the first book and gives more space to take stock of how they and their relationships have changed.

So, guess we should pay close attention to the end of ALH then.

1 hour ago, Yohn said:

I also wrote a little short story to go in the Waterstones hardcover edition of the book as an exclusive.  Nothing at all essential but hopefully a pleasing confection for those that get it, and that kind of thing definitely does help retailers to give a book a push.

Well, that settles that. I will be buying this in hardcover :) 

5 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Was thinking the same....

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Yes, although the ending of book 1 and book 3 can "mirror" in a lot of different ways.  It could just be the characters all being in the same place, or it could be that they are facing a similar threat/problem, or that they situation is similar, but now many of the alliances have changed as the plot progresses. 

Anyways, seems like something ripe for speculation wrt where the trilogy is going once we get our hands on book 1. 

• 2 weeks later...

I went to edit the first post with the titles of the next two books, but formatting seems to be a bitch... anyone know how to do away with that line break in the list???

I also need to alter the timeline in the middle there where it was shown that it was off, but I don't want to fool with it until I know how to do it without messing everything up.  :dunno: 

On 5/2/2019 at 2:33 PM, HelenaExMachina said:

Waterstones are doing a signed edition too for £2 extra. Pre-ordered yesterday.

On 5/2/2019 at 2:39 PM, Yohn said:

Was thinking the same....

Me too but like maithanet says it could be a reverse of ALH ending or could be very similar. Maybe they will all have goatees?

6 hours ago, Rhom said:

I went to edit the first post with the titles of the next two books, but formatting seems to be a bitch... anyone know how to do away with that line break in the list???

I also need to alter the timeline in the middle there where it was shown that it was off, but I don't want to fool with it until I know how to do it without messing everything up.  :dunno: 

Backspace eliminating the line between them, and Shift + Enter.

17 minutes ago, Nicomo Cosca said:

Any news on when can we expect the paperback edition on the UK? According to Amazon its going to be on May 2020, but IDK if that is accurate 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Untitled-Abercrombie-2-4-Joe/dp/0575095881/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1558657952&sr=8-1-fkmrnull

You have the willpower to wait for paperback?!!!?

23 minutes ago, Nicomo Cosca said:

Any news on when can we expect the paperback edition on the UK? According to Amazon its going to be on May 2020, but IDK if that is accurate 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Untitled-Abercrombie-2-4-Joe/dp/0575095881/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1558657952&sr=8-1-fkmrnull

The Book Depository shows it being released the same date as the hardcover.

Archived