Joe Abercrombie: The Collected Works 2 (A new trilogy on the horizon)

Rhom

13 hours ago, Rhom said:

You have the willpower to wait for paperback?!!!?

I honestly don't think I have it in me to wait any longer :laugh: I may end up preordering the hardcover this afternoon after work, it's been so long since I read a JA and I'm feeling the anxiety slowly creeping in.

I'm sad I won't be able to reread the other books before this one comes out though. I only read them once between 2013 and 2014 and although I vividly remember the characters and the plot, I don't want to miss out on the details once this one comes out. 

1 minute ago, Nicomo Cosca said:

I honestly don't think I have it in me to wait any longer :laugh: I may end up preordering the hardcover this afternoon after work, it's been so long since I read a JA and I'm feeling the anxiety slowly creeping in.

I'm sad I won't be able to reread the other books before this one comes out though. I only read them once between 2013 and 2014 and although I vividly remember the characters and the plot, I don't want to miss out on the details once this one comes out. 

I'm going to reread Red Country right before the new book comes out.  It's the only one I've only read once, and being the most recent chronologically, it is the most likely to be related to the new books.

• 1 month later...
19 hours ago, The hairy bear said:

We've got a new progress report. Not big revelations in it, though.

The most interesting bit is in the comments, IMO. Apparently, after he finishes the trilogy, he plans to write books in a non-First-Law, non-Shattered-Sea setting.

And maybe another three First Law standalones....

On 5/24/2019 at 1:54 AM, Rhom said:

You have the willpower to wait for paperback?!!!?

This could be the first book where i wind up buying the hardcover, audiobook and Kindle. Signed hardcover is for the collector in me (i have signed copies of all his books) and i know I'll "read" it quicker if i can listen to parts during the commute to work. At which point the sync option with kindle is convenient.

Best served cold is really fun so far. I'd forgotten how he used a genre to constrain/inform the book and the crime,/heist aspect of BSC works well. 

21 hours ago, The hairy bear said:

We've got a new progress report. Not big revelations in it, though.

The most interesting bit is in the comments, IMO. Apparently, after he finishes the trilogy, he plans to write books in a non-First-Law, non-Shattered-Sea setting.

Well he's shown he can do war, crime and westerns so could dive into those more substantially.

I'd like to see him take a crack at applying the same cynicism to star wars as he did LOTR.

Interesting comment about their being LGBTQ+ character(s) and it possibly being spoilery to elaborate. Yoru sulfur (or those with similar powers) always seem ideal for looking at transgender/fluid identity through a fantasy filter

1 hour ago, red snow said:

This could be the first book where i wind up buying the hardcover, audiobook and Kindle. Signed hardcover is for the collector in me (i have signed copies of all his books) and i know I'll "read" it quicker if i can listen to parts during the commute to work. At which point the sync option with kindle is convenient.

I don't have anything signed by @Joe Abercrombie :( Alas, as he notes in the comments on his blog the math for doing a US tour doesn't seem to add up and I can't pack up and take my books across the pond to get them signed.

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

I don't have anything signed by @Joe Abercrombie :( Alas, as he notes in the comments on his blog the math for doing a US tour doesn't seem to add up and I can't pack up and take my books across the pond to get them signed.

It's a shame that Joe, who is surely fairly high in sales success, can't justify a signing tour. I guess the industry is such that only those with film/tv deals can do them now.

Maybe you will be able to catch him at a convention some time

2 hours ago, red snow said:

Best served cold is really fun so far. I'd forgotten how he used a genre to constrain/inform the book and the crime,/heist aspect of BSC works well. 

Well he's shown he can do war, crime and westerns so could dive into those more substantially.

I'd like to see him take a crack at applying the same cynicism to star wars as he did LOTR.

Interesting comment about their being LGBTQ+ character(s) and it possibly being spoilery to elaborate. Yoru sulfur (or those with similar powers) always seem ideal for looking at transgender/fluid identity through a fantasy filter

Presumably, Terez features at some point in the new series. 

2 hours ago, SeanF said:

Presumably, Terez features at some point in the new series. 

Good point. Given the criticism he took on board regarding his handling of terez, it will be interesting to see how his approach to her has been handled. Given the events of BSC it's not like there's a home for her to return to anymore.

Good point. Given the criticism he took on board regarding his handling of terez, it will be interesting to see how his approach to her has been handled. Given the events of BSC it's not like there's a home for her to return to anymore.

Terez must be desperate for revenge.

Just now, SeanF said:

Terez must be desperate for revenge.

Did we hear about any fallout from BSC? Given the war with the north was in large part Jezal wanting to avenge logen (obviously Bayaz just wanted to test out some toys), you'd think they'd politically want to avenge Orso who essentially played the same role as logen in terms of saving adua. Plus their Queen. And unless Bayaz felt they were overstretched i can't imagine he's happy with a rogue state.

42 minutes ago, red snow said:

Did we hear about any fallout from BSC? Given the war with the north was in large part Jezal wanting to avenge logen (obviously Bayaz just wanted to test out some toys), you'd think they'd politically want to avenge Orso who essentially played the same role as logen in terms of saving adua. Plus their Queen. And unless Bayaz felt they were overstretched i can't imagine he's happy with a rogue state.

There were mentions of continuing wars with Monza in later books, and I just assumed that was Bayaz trying to regain influence over the area.  It isn't clear how well those intiatives are going for him though - I imagine we'll get a clearer picture in the new trilogy. 

IIRC, there's a reference in The Heroes to the Queen's hatred for Monza.  

It's mentioned in Red Country that Monza had taken Sipani and in Sharp Ends (Three's a Crowd) it's mentioned that Monza outmaneuvered The Union both politically and militarily, stripped away their allies and defeated them three times in the field.

ETA. Tunny, Forest and Yolk appear in that chapter as well. The Union army were heading back home after being soundly beaten.

Joe has revealed the names of the three remaining POVs! :drool:Besides Leo, Orso, Sabine and Rikke, we'll have: Gunnar Broad, Vick dan Teufel, and Jonas Clover.

Vick is probably the daughter of Sepp dan Teufel, tortured by Glokta and sent to Angland. (Joe said that we'd have 3 female POVs, and 5 where children from known characters). She may be Sabine's antagonist.

26 minutes ago, The hairy bear said:

Joe has revealed the names of the three remaining POVs! :drool:Besides Leo, Orso, Sabine and Rikke, we'll have: Gunnar Broad, Vick dan Teufel, and Jonas Clover.

Vick is probably the daughter of Sepp dan Teufel, tortured by Glokta and sent to Angland. (Joe said that we'd have 3 female POVs, and 5 where children from known characters). She may be Sabine's antagonist.

She was lucky to avoid being imprisoned with her father.

Glokta is probably correct that execution is preferable.

2 hours ago, The hairy bear said:

Another little snippet is that there will be Eaters in the new trilogy.

Archived