Joe Abercrombie: The Collected Works 2 (A new trilogy on the horizon)

Rhom

42 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

I imagine Logan as a 75 year old drunk in the local, still kicking the shit out of mouthy youths when he just wants to sit and enjoy a pint in peace. 

He would be pretty old with the confirmed 3 decades since LAOK. Although I guess all the characters from the original series are going to be quite old now Glokta will be in his 60s and Jezal in his 50s I'd guess.

I imagine Logan could still beat the shit out of most folks in his 70s still - a bit like Clint Eastwood in gran turino.

8 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

I thought it was the second Rake book that tanked.

The first book did OK, but the reviews were def. mixed. This created a "wait and see" mentality, and when the 2nd book became "more, much more of the same," well...

10 hours ago, red snow said:

He would be pretty old with the confirmed 3 decades since LAOK. Although I guess all the characters from the original series are going to be quite old now Glokta will be in his 60s and Jezal in his 50s I'd guess.

I imagine Logan could still beat the shit out of most folks in his 70s still - a bit like Clint Eastwood in gran turino.

I always think of Glokta as a lot older than he actually is due to the effects of torture on his body/physicality. It makes his POVs come across as much older than he is

Good review to hype things up. I would assume you were discouraged to reveal more of the plot, or at least the general direction of the thing. I am curious about the theme. Best Served Cold was obviously about revenge, right from the title, while Heroes were about what heroism is (well, duh)... What would you say the main driver is for this book?

21 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I imagine Logan as a 75 year old drunk in the local, still kicking the shit out of mouthy youths when he just wants to sit and enjoy a pint in peace. 

Some of the mouthy youths would no doubt be stupid enough to think that 70 something Logan is a pushover.

18 hours ago, Jerry Drake said:

Good review to hype things up. I would assume you were discouraged to reveal more of the plot, or at least the general direction of the thing. I am curious about the theme. Best Served Cold was obviously about revenge, right from the title, while Heroes were about what heroism is (well, duh)... What would you say the main driver is for this book?

Hmmm, I would have to say change. Far-reaching changes, be them social, political, financial, etc. Industrialisation and modernisation have great repercussions on everyone, most of them bad. The refugee crisis might signal the end of the Union's hegemony and perhaps the beginning of multiculturalism.

So yeah, change is probably the main theme of this series thus far.

I'm so excited to dive into the new trilogy. Sadly, my copy will be arriving around the second or third week of October, because I live in South America and things just take a while to get here :dunce: I hope everyone's still excited to talk about the book a month after is out though! This is going to be my first time geeking out on this forum about the publication of a long awaited fantasy novel and I can't wait for it.

I remember I was in High School when I read the first trilogy, and now I'll be reading the start of the new trilogy just after I finish college :D 

16 hours ago, Lord Patrek said:

Why not get the ebook edition? You'd get it on the day of publication. :)

I’ll just borrow my brother’s Kindle so I can binge read during an entire weekend and then come here and obsess over every detail lol 

I don’t know how Joe does it, but I’m amazed by how well I remember many details and secondary characters from his books even though I read them once six years ago. I’m excited to meet the new characters, experience a New story, and to see how JA has evolved as a writer in all these years.

Archived